• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Psychic abilities

My experiences amount to waking up a Tuesday night at 0:40 with that weird feeling that something was wrong. I decided it must just have been a noide from the roof that woke me up and I went back to sleep. Then at 1 when I was just about to fall asleep again the phone rang. I wondered who it would be at that time of the night but I went and picked up of course. It was from the home where my grandmother's sister lived. They told me that the old lady had died 20 minutes ago. I was rather shocked at that, but did manage to say thanks and all.

It could just have been coincidence that I woke up when she died, and I *had* known that she didn't have much time left (she was 92 years old) but it still creeped me out. I was 16 or 17 I think.

Also when I was 17, on the 18th of December (though I'm no longer sure about the date) it was a Wednesday and my first two periods in school were cancelled so I could sleep in. I awoke around 8-ish, the time where I normally would be on my way to school along with most other schoolkids. I awoke with that feeling that something is dreadfully wrong, but I brushed it off as the remains of a nightmare I didnt remember anyway.

I went to school, our first class was English, and when our teacher arrived she was white as a sheet. She told us that Tine, a classmate of ours has just called from the hospital that she would not be coming today, her younger brother, a kid of 14, had been hit by a bus and had died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital around the time when I had woken up with that feeling of wrongness. Creepy and scary.

I have one more experience a bit less dramatic, but still including me waking up and sensing that something bad would happen, that time it wasn't a sense of something bad happening, but more a sense of foreboding, based on a dream which (if it truly was 'prophetic') was allegorical. When I got to school one of my classmates had been hit by a car right in front of the school and had broken his arm. I was 14 or 15.

I'm not sure what to believe about these things. Mostly I'm sceptical about my own experiences, they can just as well have been coincidences, but it's still creepy.

My mum also had a similar experience. The night before she was going to her zone-therapist she dreamed she got there and on the door she found a note saying that the clinic was closed because the zone-therapist had fallen ill.

When she got to the clinic in real life she did in fact find such a note only it was saying that the clinic was closed due to illness in the family. Had her a bit freaked out. This happened as late as this October. And I might add that she told me about this without ever having heard about my experiences - I told her about them after she told me.

Jemima......I don't know about psychic but I don't ever want to ring your doorbell and have you open the door. :D

On-topic:
My favorite teacher in school was my 3rd grade teacher. I had been out of school over 40 years and was visiting my parents in Pennsylvania and asked them "what ever happened to Rose M****** ". That evening the newspaper came and her death notice was in the paper. This is a photo of her and the 3rd grade class. http://www.familyoldphotos.com/pa/coll2/maderaschool.htm

You know, if you shuffle a deck of cards and then deal them out, you may see a straight, or three of a kind show up in succession, and there is even a finite probability of a royal flush coming up.
Why do I mention this? To show that things happen all the time that could appear to have some hidden forces operating on them but are in fact, sheer coincidence. I have sometimes had a thought - perhaps an actor's face fashed through my mind, only to turn the page of the newspaper to see that actor's face in the news. I don't assume that I posess the power of precognition. There are an infinity of thoughts racing through my mind, and events occurring. Every once in a while a thought will coincide with an event and appear to be related.
Many people know someone who knows someone that had "special powers". Some even claim that they themselves posess them. Yet, nobody has ever put these powers to an objective test, and removed all doubt. It's always some old lady in an isolated village somewere. Nobody ever healed anything by thought in a medical laboratory. Nobody ever walked into a resercher's lab and said "I can prove I have ESP - put it to the test and I will demonstrate it beyond all doubt" and then did it.

Jemima: That's pretty creepy, but the sceptic in me wants to know how often you've had such feelings and then nothing happens? Maybe you do, but then you don't remember them later? Just a thought....

I wasted a good half hour today reading about Houdini, thanks guys :mad: !! I've got to find a good book about him to read, such a fascinating man!!

Libre said:
You know, if you shuffle a deck of cards and then deal them out, you may see a straight, or three of a kind show up in succession, and there is even a finite probability of a royal flush coming up.
Why do I mention this? To show that things happen all the time that could appear to have some hidden forces operating on them but are in fact, sheer coincidence. I have sometimes had a thought - perhaps an actor's face fashed through my mind, only to turn the page of the newspaper to see that actor's face in the news. I don't assume that I posess the power of precognition. There are an infinity of thoughts racing through my mind, and events occurring. Every once in a while a thought will coincide with an event and appear to be related.
Many people know someone who knows someone that had "special powers". Some even claim that they themselves posess them. Yet, nobody has ever put these powers to an objective test, and removed all doubt. It's always some old lady in an isolated village somewere. Nobody ever healed anything by thought in a medical laboratory. Nobody ever walked into a resercher's lab and said "I can prove I have ESP - put it to the test and I will demonstrate it beyond all doubt" and then did it.

I like you position, Libre. When I am caught in a discussion like this one, I usually say almost the same, word for word. This position is logical, clean and easy.
The problem is: our life is illogical, not always easy and rarely clean.
What I am saying is: if we eliminate everything that could be explained by coincidences, hypnosis and self-hypnosis, "placebo effect" and otter logical explanations, we are still left with some cases on our hands.
For example, if a person looking at a photograph of a girl could tell you whether the girl is alive or not, and in the last case to tell you where you can find the body, when the same person could help you find your car somebody has stolen from you, after the police failed at that task... The only logical explanation is that the person was the killer and the thief himself. But if he helps to find several killed persons a year, and several cars as well, and gets paid almost nothing for his help... To bring up coincidence thing here sucks.
And if the same person can hold your hand with a cut on it, and stop it bleeding just looking you in the eye... This is not a coincidence, is it?
And these things were all done by my relative Mikhail from Saratov, Russia.

As to your point of nobody coming to prove they have "special abilities".
Errr... Why should they, who really have those? Imagine an old woman in some village who heals her neighbors for several potatoes or a bottle of a homemade wine, who has everything she needs or has ambition to have, going to a city, having all these strangers staring at her, asking questions, poking fingers etc? She is very important between her neighbors, why should she seek for a position of a lab monkey where nobody knows her?

I understand it is not too convincing, but this is like asking about why people who found the ultimate truth about life do not come on TV and spill everything to the entire interested world. It would seem that if there are such people, they may have goals other than to get known all over the world. If you are wise, you wouldn't come on TV and shout: hey, you, I am awfully wise, look at me!

How do you think?

Does deja vu imply that we all somehow have some degree of innate ability? Deja vus have always impressed a single 'fact' on me - that time may not be linear, but rather like a wound of measuring tape, and you could in fact look at any point in time by looking at different parts of the time ' measuring tape'.

ds

I haven't had a deja vu for quite some time, but it's pretty disconcerting when it happens.

No matter whether you believe in this stuff or not, I think we need it. How boring would life be if this stuff was positively proved or disproved? If psychic abilities could be positively proven to exist, would people be carrying ID cards with their psychic rankings, like driver's licenses? We need mysteries in life. I was glad to hear that science couldn't decipher the Mona Lisa's smile, because I don't want to know.

Kookamoor said:
I wasted a good half hour today reading about Houdini, thanks guys :mad: !! I've got to find a good book about him to read, such a fascinating man!!
If he's such a fascinating man then you've not totally wasted your time have you.

I have this biography of him, as some of the reviewers on amazon suggest the anaylsis of his life does get a bit freudian at times, but that's gonna happen if you insist on being chained up stark bollock naked...

Sergo said:
I understand it is not too convincing...How do you think?

That's how I think. It's not too convincing.
I'm just one of those folks that demand PROOF before I believe stuff. This skepticism could well deprive me of many comforting illusions - belief in a "higher power" being one of them. I also realize that I might be discounting stuff that might be true despite the absence of objective evidence. Not everything that is real can be proven - I realize that. That's the risk I take - I don't believe ANYTHING unless I've mulled it over, tested it in my mind, weighed the evidence, and found it to be plausible.

Kenny Shovel said:
If he's such a fascinating man then you've not totally wasted your time have you...
No, of course not. It was a jokey sort of anger, in case you couldn't tell by the juxtaposition of thoughts in that post. :p

Libre said:
I'm just one of those folks that demand PROOF before I believe stuff. This skepticism could well deprive me of many comforting illusions - belief in a "higher power" being one of them. I also realize that I might be discounting stuff that might be true despite the absence of objective evidence. Not everything that is real can be proven - I realize that. That's the risk I take - I don't believe ANYTHING unless I've mulled it over, tested it in my mind, weighed the evidence, and found it to be plausible.

Mmmh, the eternal search for truth and proof thereof.

A good friend of mine is very fond of saying that he only has proof of the things he can see right now, the rest of the world is just hear-say.

Or to put it another way, America (to me) is just a rumour.:eek: I have never been there, and as such have no proof. All my 'evidence' comes from reports of other people and mass media, two sources that I do not trust out of principle.

What is my point? We all choose what we want to believe, and it is very difficult to change anybody's mind. Just try not to criticise anybody's believe just because you don't share it. In other words I won't try and convince you psychic abilities or a Higher Power exist, if you don't try and convince me America exists :D

Libre said:

Again, I like your position. I am sure of it myself. If it wasn't for Mikhail from Saratov and some other personal experiences, I would have been 100% with you.
I think it is the only right approach to this problem: not to believe what you are told, but try to "mull it over, test it in your mind, weigh the evidence, and find it to be plausible or not".
But. This position is not absolutely flawless, of course.
And the most obvious flaw is that one's ability to decide what is plausible and what is not depends too much on the thinking abilities of the person, his/her knowledge and other variable factors.
To illustrate my point I invite you to come with me to medieval Europe. If we ask some average person there about whether he believes in dragons, possibility for a man to fly to the Moon, whether or not matter consists of atoms, if there are dog-headed people living in China, was it possible to make gold out of lead and to speak with a person living several thousands miles away without using magic, we would surely got answers opposite to ones we would expect to get from our contemporaries.
That's "other variable factors" working here, such as conformity of personal opinion to what is commonly believed to be true. I.e., society inflicts on its members certain system of beliefs, which could be objectively true or untrue.

So. As I cannot see atoms, have never been in continental China, have not been a witness to Americans walking on the Moon etc., I am free to decide myself whether to believe in these things or not. And if I choose to believe in atoms and not to believe in dog-headed people, that's mostly result of my conformity to current beliefs, rather than my ability at learning ultimate truth.

Hugin said:
Mmmh, the eternal search for truth and proof thereof.

A good friend of mine is very fond of saying that he only has proof of the things he can see right now, the rest of the world is just hear-say.

Or to put it another way, America (to me) is just a rumour.:eek: I have never been there, and as such have no proof. All my 'evidence' comes from reports of other people and mass media, two sources that I do not trust out of principle.

What is my point? We all choose what we want to believe, and it is very difficult to change anybody's mind. Just try not to criticise anybody's believe just because you don't share it. In other words I won't try and convince you psychic abilities or a Higher Power exist, if you don't try and convince me America exists :D

Great post, Hugin, I may have never written mine if I had seen yours before I started...

Sergo and Hugin. They were both good posts.

The human mind/brain is capable of many things and is probably the most underutilized thing in the Universe. If we ever uncovered how to fully utilize the brain I think that we would all be amazed at what could be accomplished.

muggle said:
Sergo and Hugin. They were both good posts.

The human mind/brain is capable of many things and is probably the most underutilized thing in the Universe. If we ever uncovered how to fully utilize the brain I think that we would all be amazed at what could be accomplished.

Aaaawwww, I'm blushing!

Can't agree more about your statements about the brain, the more we find out about the brain, the more we find that we will probably never understand it.

Hugin-
Seeing something is not proof of it, and not seeing something does not refute it. People can see things that turn out to be NOT what they thought they saw. NOT seeing something is very week evidence that it does not exist. In these ways I disagree with your solipsistic friend. Anyone is free to believe whatever they wish - that goes without saying - and I have crisisized nobody. You can believe that there are people with mysterious supernatural powers, or that there are invisible green men from Mars sitting on your shoulder, or you can believe whatever anybody tells you.

A friend of mine has a saying:
If something does not make sense, there is a piece of information missing.

Sergo-
Your points about what was believed in medieval Europe compared with today illustrate my position very well. Back then, when superstition was rampant, reliable information was inacccessible, and illiteracy was the rule, people believed all sorts of things. Anybody could make a statment, and that could be repeated and exaggerated until it grew to a legend, and still it would be repeated and exaggerated some more, and all sorts of gullable folks would pass it on.
You're right - we're not so different today.

I wish I knew a psychic-my dog has lost his favorite squeaky ball, I've looked everywhere. He's very unhappy, and while I'll get him a new one today, it's driving me nuts not knowing what happened to the ball.

Back