• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Psychology and Philosophy books?

Can anyone recommend any good Philosophy or Psychology books?

The only psychology books I've read were the required ones for PSY 101 , 102, and Abnormal Psychology, which I took in college. My classes covered a lot.

Philosophy also covers a wide range: metaphysics, ethics, epistemology, logic, and more.

Where is your interest in these subjects? Anything specific you want to learn more about?

THE RISE OF SCIENTIFIC PHILOSOPHY, by Hans Reichenbach. Great book in beautifully clear, lucid prose. Includes a critique of the classic philosophers. If, as I, you had some issues with Plato, et al. in college, you will like Reichenbach a lot. He was one of the leaders of the logical empiricists.

A HISTORY OF WESTERN PHILOSOPHY, by Bertrand Russell. Excellent.

PHILOSOPHY IN A NEW KEY, by Suzanne Langer. Very well received when it came out. Still worth reading.

THE MASS PSYCHOLOGY OF FASCISM, by Wilhelm Reich. Following WWII, there was a good deal of interest in how the German and Italian fascist regimes came to power, captured the loyalty of educated, advanced societies, and threw much of the world into war. Reich’s book was frequently cited and portions assigned as readings in college classes at that time, along with writings by Else Frenkel Brunswig and others who studied authoritarian personalities, etc.

Reich is a fascinating study in himself. Went from being a respected member of Freud’s inner circle, to being a pariah, because, in large part, of his claim to have discovered orgone energy, and the theories he derived therefrom

Given the present trends in social and political movements, these studies of fascism and authoritarianism are worth another look.

To me, Philosophy is a subject that you should gently ease yourself into, rather than a full-blown jump into the deep end. My personal favorite school is Stoicism, and some of the most prominent writers here are also some of the most readable in my opinion.

Thoroughly recommended titles (with a choice quote as an example) from me would be:

• Letters From a Stoic - Seneca - "Man's ideal state is realized when he has fulfilled the purpose for which he was born. And what is it that reason demands of him? Something very easy - that he live in accordance with his own nature."

• Meditations - Marcus Aurelius - "Not to assume it's impossible because you find it hard. But to recognize that if it's humanly possible, you can do it too."

• The Enchiridion - Epictetus - "Some things are in our control and others not. Things in our control are opinion, pursuit, desire, aversion, and, in a word, whatever are our own actions. Things not in our control are body, property, reputation, command, and, in one word, whatever are not our own actions."
When I began reading these books, I was astounded at the incisiveness of the wisdom uttered by these men thousands of years hence, they wrote words than clearly still speak to us today. The realization that stuck with me was that whilst environments change over time, people - at their core, are always the same. Wealth, health, family, virtue, vice - we still chase after, and scramble away from, essentially the same things that all humans have throughout time.

It is for this reason I read these books - because they say things about us that still apply today, and that we can use to better ourselves and those around us, if we apply what we learn.

Can anyone recommend any good Philosophy or Psychology books?

"Fooled by Randomness" by Nassim Taleb is an interesting foray into the occurrence and interpretation of random events in life. Though his focus is success/failure in the market, the points made are applicable in a wide variety of situations.

For a more theological (but still very readable) bent, I can't do better than recommend CS Lewis's "the great divorce" and "screwtape letters".

for a secular short little mind-twister, Scott Adams (of Dilbert fame) wrote "God's Debris" -- very much worth a read.

"I'm o.k., you're o.k."-a definite classic

"Love and will" by Rollo May

Good philosophy read-"Being and Nothingness" by Sartre

This may be off the wall, but check out Buddhists texts. His texts do such a good job of blending philosophy with psychology. Also, check out State the Mind Free the Self by Royce Coleman. It's a new book, more on the self-help side.

Is vsmiffy still around?

For a nice introduction into some philosophers: Jostein Gaarder's Sophie's World.

For psychology, it totally depends on what you want. There are hundreds of topics within the realm. Anyway, perhaps Oliver Sacks' The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat.

Back