• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Quality vs Quantity

eyez0nme

What is more important when reading a book?

The amount of pages you read? Or the message within?

Wouldn't it always be quality? Who wants to read a hugh, boring book? I can usually tell by the 3rd chapter if it's a go or not.

I would have to vote on quality. It doesn't matter if it's a 1000 page book, to a simple 200 pager. Just so long as the story is good. But sometimes, I do enjoy the message within, if it's a good, or clever message.

Perhaps it is better to ask: which is the better way to read?, it is it better to read intently or quickly? In other words, If you read ten books with varying levels of concentration, is that better than read two books, pouring over every word, every phrase, and re-reading it? The same problem arises in education. Do you cover all chapters and hit width, or do you cover fewer chaptes more intently and go for depth?

I'd say the core is to get a good story, but also, if the story you are tagged onto is a good one, wouldn't you want it to play out a little longer than 200 pages or so? One reason I'm such a huge fan of Stephen King is that his novels (not all of them, some of his stories I hate while others I adore; I'm using the latter for my point of course), tend to be very long but also so full of character depth that you really enjoy being in that other world, if only for the while. I remember when I was finally reaching the conclusion of The Dark Tower series, and found it a bit sad. No more Roland, no more Eddie, Sussanah, Jake, Oy, Callahan, etc.
So while yes quality is much more important, I'd say a large pile of quality is much more enjoyable than a short story. Just my two cents (oh, and first post, so hello).

I like reading intently, which usually ensures that I stay with the book longer. But I don't mind taking longer to read a book, so long as I am enjoying it.

I would definately say quality. A book could be 1200 pages but if it is boring and has a bad story then it won't be enjoyable. I wouldn't say it would be a waste of time because I don't think any reading is a waste of time. I do agree with people who are saying that you should read intently though. There is no point in reading a book if you aren't going to pay attention to what you are reading then don't read. But there are some people are can read fast and take every word in. I wish I was one of them :p lol.

Hmmm this is a good question at this time. Since I'm trying to decide between buying the new Janet Evanovich books Plum Lovin'(at 167 pages) or 2 fat fantasy novels...:confused:

Quality all the way, in fact, I tend to prefer books on the shorter side (under 400 pages).

Hmmm this is a good question at this time. Since I'm trying to decide between buying the new Janet Evanovich books Plum Lovin'(at 167 pages) or 2 fat fantasy novels...:confused:

Unless you collect the Plum series in hardcover, buy the fantasy novels. I'd never pay $17 (that is the list price) for a Plum novella. I'd suggest getting it from the library (I have it on hold) or waiting for the paperback.

Quality all the way, in fact, I tend to prefer books on the shorter side (under 400 pages).

Unless you collect the Plum series in hardcover, buy the fantasy novels. I'd never pay $17 (that is the list price) for a Plum novella. I'd suggest getting it from the library (I have it on hold) or waiting for the paperback.

I have them all in paperback. I was planning on getting #13 in hardback though cause I'm tired of waiting for the library or the paperbak.. It really doesn't seem worth it for a novella though the more I think about it.

well, unless it's a classic that you absolutely have to read even if it's boring you to death(Ivanhoe comes to mind), I'd say quality is definately the important thing. Of course, I like to have both, because when I really love a book I don't want it to end, I want to escape to that world for as long as possible.

well, unless it's a classic that you absolutely have to read even if it's boring you to death(Ivanhoe comes to mind), I'd say quality is definately the important thing.

Agree. But in that case I would read that book in the night so that I sleep well :D

Quality is the thing for me.

Back