• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Quarterlife crisis book recomendations?

jigmonster

Does anyone have any suggestions for some good books that deal with twentysomething's quarterlife crisis? Similar to how Catcher in the Rye is to adolescence.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Check out Po Bronson's What do I want to do with my life? or sometheing like that. It's sold quite a few copies if I remember correctly.

For light relief, the Adrian Mole series of books by Sue Townsend. They start off when Adrian is 13 3/4, and in the latest he is 35. They deal with life's growing pains in a very funny way.

Zolipara said:
Isnt it a bit early to get in a crisis?

Actually, it is pretty common to have a quarter life crisis these days. You get out of college with tens of thousands of dollars worth of debt and the only job you can get is secretarial. You thought you'd be getting a nice car and a condo. Instead you are getting your old room back at your parents' house and a bus pass. A lot of people in their early to mid twenties are having major breakdowns as their lives aren't remotely close to what they expected based on where their parents were at the same age. It is an interesting change in social development.

mehastings said:
Actually, it is pretty common to have a quarter life crisis these days. You get out of college with tens of thousands of dollars worth of debt and the only job you can get is secretarial. You thought you'd be getting a nice car and a condo. Instead you are getting your old room back at your parents' house and a bus pass. A lot of people in their early to mid twenties are having major breakdowns as their lives aren't remotely close to what they expected based on where their parents were at the same age. It is an interesting change in social development.
Off-topic comment on interesting changes in social development. I read somewhere last week that this 20-something generation is the first in (I don't know what period in history) that is predicted to die before their parents. They're blaming obesity, primarily, but other things like AIDS come into play as well.

Zolipara said:
Isnt it a bit early to get in a crisis?

it's not. my friend told me about this because she went through it and she's okay now. she told me to warn me so i can be prepared. but even with all the warnings and preparations, it's still difficult.

i think this crisis happens because it is at this stage that people decide what they are going to do for the rest of their life.

recommended reading: my best friend read iyanla vanzant's books.

Back