• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Question: upon returning to a book...

Wabbit

Hi, I have a question!

If you are reading a book and for whatever reason you stop reading this book. Maybe you stopped because you were excited by another book, had too much work so you could not read it for a long time or maybe it was just hard to read in that moment so you read something easy. Well, my question is this: Upon returning to the book, what do you do? Do you start off where you left all that time ago or do you re-read from the start?

For me, I would normally re-read it. I know I am probably rare in that. I just seems that I miss something if I just jump back into it :) So normally I start it again from the very start, but not always.

How about you?

Depends on how long its been. If I've only left off for a week or two, I usually pick back up where I left off. If its been longer, I typically reread from the start.

I usually start over, if I don't, I feel like I'm missing some of the story and by starting over I get all the details I might have forgotten.
The last book I put down before i finished it was Paradise Lost by John Milton, I just got tired of having to look in the explanation in the back to find out what he meant.

It depends on how long I've been away from it and the complexity of the book. I'll usually just skim the part I've already read to refresh my memory. If the book is complex or it's been a really long time, I'll reread.

I usually just pick up from where I left off, but if it's been a few days, then I will skim through the previous chapter or the last few pages to remind myself what's just happened.

For me, it depends on where in the book I stopped. If it's only the first couple of chapters, then I'll re-read it. If I'm halfway through, I probably remember the rest of the plot (as though I'd read it years ago) and I'll just pick it up. Although, I have to admit that I seldom stop a book once I've started. :p

Cathy

Penguins have to finish any started book, or they'll never get it open again...

I usually reread if it's not too long, especially if the book is complex. Generally if I'm taking the time to go back to the book, it's worth rereading anyway.

If I can recall the story and wasn't terribly interested in it then I'll carry on from where I left off but usually I'll restart so I can enjoy it all over again!

I generally read from the start again, for instance i recently restarted The Bourne Identity, which got lost in our house move when i was roughly half-way through. It means that you are fairly familiar with what happens allready, but reminds you of the little bits you may have forgotten that are important to the story.

Phil

Is that you, man? *tears in eyes* Good to see you! ( although you have aged and put on weight"

I heard rumours you were eaten by a 'gator in umpopo!

Nah, although it did try and take a big bite out of my ass!! :eek: Luckily i managed to stave it off long enough for Ice to lecture it to death :D

Also, i have not put on any weight, this just happens to be a particularly baggy jumpy, okay!

Phil

ok, ok :D

Hey, glad you are back. You are just in time! Do you know there are aliens personating you on the forum? :eek:

Yeah i heard. I also noted that their ass is sagging under the weight of the years though, whereas mine is still looking perky, with firm, hairy skin. But i digress :D

Phil

You do! But where your pert and hairy ass is concerned I am sure I speak for us all when I say digress all you want!

Well, off to spend money. I will return :D

All over again

I'll go over it again of course, I don't like to read a book whose characters I forgot, it becomes something confusing. It's like meeting an old aquaintance again, you have to remember something about him/her before you start talking.

Normally if I stop a book and get back to it at a later day I'll generally start over at the beginning. I'm not known for having a great memory and if a book is good, then I want to know the whole story, not just what few bits I could remember. There are exceptions though, as there are some books I have read enough times that I can start in the middle feeling like I've just read from the beginning.

I usually continue where I left or go back a chapter or two if I feel the need to refresh my memory. If it's been a long time, a few weeks or longer, I'll start over.

This thread reminds me that I have to read Jane Eyre, again. Lord knows how many times I've started it over, and not read it through.

For all the C. Bronte-fans: It's not the book, it's me. ;)

Back