• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Questions of being Published

KendallPenn

Hello All!

I'm currently in the middle of writing a children's book. Well if not in the middle, I'm at least at the beginning. I've been reading tons of books about getting published, including the 2006 Writer's Market and a Guide to Publishers and Agents for children's authors and illustrators. While these are invaluable resources, they still leave a lot of questions unanswered.

I'm interested in hearing anyone's story who has attempted to be published. There are so many things that are still confusing to me. For example, when you send a completed manuscript, do you start each chapter on a new page? I know it seems dumb (and I think I could figure that one out on my own), but I just want to hear what everyone thinks.

Thanks for your time!
Kendall

From what I've heard you don't send a completed manuscript. Find an agent and tell them the gist of your book, before even writing it... after which the agent will ask you for a copy of your manuscript if they like the sound of it.

I hope someone comes along shortly who can offer a little more insight than I have.

A professor of Russian once told me, "There is no such thing as a stupid question, because if it is a question in your mind, then it is a legitimate question. There are only stupid answers."

I will see if I can find more info for you with a google search. I did visit http://writers.net a year or two ago. You may find it helpful to post your questions there.

Best of luck!

Please define what you mean by "children's book".

It could mean anything from a 6 page board book to a Harry Potter style novel depending on who you ask.

Provide more information on what you are attempting to do, and you might get more useful answers.

Website Research

Hello-
From my investigation, I have seen that every publisher has his or her individual requirements, and to generalize is a first mistake. Go online. Punch in the names (the list of probable publishers that will accept your work) and search each one for their current format that they wish to see your work presented.

Some go through an agent only-others will give you a try with sample chapters. From what I have read, "over-the-transom" submissions (unsolicited manuscripts) are less and less given any attention, (called the "slush pile") and many will toss them immediately, or return them to you, with postage added by you. Also, consider if what you submit is something you want to pay to have returned to you.

Yes, each chapter should be separate. Each should, (in the header-footer of each page) contain your name, page number, title of book, and title of each chapter. The font should be smaller than page font, and the page font should be in a legible type, never anything fancy. Avoid electronic (e-mail, floppys, CD’s) submissions.

I have submitted to Tor Books and they want no italics or bold , preferring to use proofreaders marks to annotate the manuscript (underline for italics, for instance). There are other marks for spacing, and offset, more than I remember right now.

Therefore, the universe of publishing is waiting. Start now, and do not be too frightened of the unknown, as it can be overwhelming at first. Bon Chance!

Frederick

Thanks for all the great advice so far. To make myself clear, I am writing what I consider to be a middle grade/YA book. I know there are certain classifications for each, but I disagree with the assumption presented in many books that children want to read about characters older than themselves. My character is 9-10, but a very mature 9-10 year old. When I was 9 my favorit character was a 4 and a half year old girl named Matilda. Now at 20, I cant get enough of an 11-16 year old wizard.

But I digress....

So yeah, I hope that helps!

Thanks again!

Kendall

steffee said:
From what I've heard you don't send a completed manuscript. Find an agent and tell them the gist of your book, before even writing it... after which the agent will ask you for a copy of your manuscript if they like the sound of it.

I hope someone comes along shortly who can offer a little more insight than I have.
I read Writer's Digest magazines and I have heard the same thing. You have to write query letters, try to get the agent interested before they even ask for a manuscript. I've heard when you send it to a publisher, they usually ask for maybe the first 4 chapters or something, and then they'll ask for the rest if they like it.

F.M.Thompson is very correct, EVERY publisher is different. Once you find a publisher (however: Writers Guide, internet search, friend, etc.), find out how they want submissions. I find that the internet is a good source for up-to-date info. Then, do what they request. Don't expect a one-size-fits-all method. Also, don't expect to submit today and get paid tomorrow/next week/next month/etc. (I was so excited a couple of months ago, because I got a rejection letter after ONE YEAR. I was going around telling everyone about that rejection letter. I now consider that manuscript gold, and sent it off to another publisher. I expect it to get accepted by somebody.)

KendallPenn said:
I've been reading tons of books about getting published, including the 2006 Writer's Market and a Guide to Publishers and Agents for children's authors and illustrators. While these are invaluable resources, they still leave a lot of questions unanswered.

Why are you reading that if you haven't finished the thing. If anything, you should be reading the authors who write to a similar length and market.

Stewart said:
Why are you reading that if you haven't finished the thing. If anything, you should be reading the authors who write to a similar length and market.

I have been reading contemporary children's books as well as some of my favorites from when I was a kid (which are also pretty contemporary). I find myself reading the books on being published to stay practical about the whole endevour. I want to stay on track with what is expected and what my actual chances are of being published.

I'm not in the mood to write a book or collection of short stories (as I have in the past) and find out that no one wants them besides me.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Kendall

Hi Kendall,

I noticed this old thread and was interested in seeing how everything went with your children's book, more than one year on from the posting of this thread. Did you get the story finished? If so, how did you go with submitting it to agents/publishers? As a soon-to-be published children's author myself, I was interested to see how things went with you.

Jasan

Info for Kendall, no question is ever stupid!

Hi Kendall:

Hope you are well today. How is the book coming?

No question is ever stupid. You can ask me 1,000 if it makes things better for you.

Chapters should start on a new page. As for what is sent to an agent/publisher/reviewer. There are some that want 3 chapters but not always 1-3 because they want to see how things are in the middle and end of the book. Some ask for a certain amount of word excerpts. There are those that would want the entire thing. Always make sure your work is copyrighted and you have backup.

Have a fantastic night,
craig fenton
jefferson airplane author

Only start sending your submissions out when the work has been completed (and by completed I mean re-drafted several times and proof read and edited too by as many impartial/honest friends/family or colleagues as you can). Send it off to agents first (90% of publishers won't accept unagented submissions and those that do have VAST slush piles) and check their submission guidelines on their website first. Some these days accept electronic submissions but most still do not. A standard submission generally comprises of a professional cover letter, a 1 page synopsis, the first three chapters (but not always, so do check) and an SAE.

Back