• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

raggedy edges

Libre

Why do many hardcover novels have pages with raggedy edges?
I've noticed that non-fiction books, textbooks and reference books generally don't have the raggedy edges, and instead have clean cut pages. On the other hand, novels often do have the raggedy edges - but only hard cover books.
Anybody know the origin of this practice, and if there is a purpose? Or, is it just style?

A lot of your re-cycled paper books will feature that ragged-edge thing that you're talking about. I have a few books that are like that, usually from small univeristy presses or "alternative" book publishers.:cool:

That type of effect is called a deckle edge and is found in older books printed on hand-made paper.

Early printers usually cut off all of the deckle, but book collectors wanted to see a little bit of the deckle as proof that the book had not been trimmed excessively or printed with machine-made paper.

Modern binderies can create a deckle edge when they want that effect, so I guess it is just a style.

Oh, I see.
The deckle, eh?
In a NY Deli, the deckle is part of a cut of corned beef.
I rather like the deckle (the book version). And now that you mention it, the paper texture is a bit different too. It's coarser, where as the clean cut edges ususally feature a glossier paper.

The only think I don't care for with the deckled edges is trying to flip back through the book to find something. The pages tend to turn in clumps.

Back