• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Random traffic

I'm wearing a bathing suit, listening to Molly Hatchet album "Beatin' the Odds" and haveing an argument with the techies at a publisher because of the method I developed to make covers for my books. It upsets them no end when I do things that "you can't do that way" so often.

Well, you can't DO it that way if you don't ever TRY! Yeesh! Why get upset because someone does something that doesn't fit your theories? (Did I mention I'm in the mood to rant?)

I am wearing a grey t-shirt with title say' United Colours Of Benetton' and light purple crop trouser with old slippers!
I have a lunch today- sandwiches and lemon bun with a nice cup of tea. Done my ironing and bit of reading book!!

Well, it's been drizzling all morning, thank Lucifer for that, and the lovely cool air is just wafting in through the window behind my computer, it smells so fresh & clean, I could spend the rest of the day meditating on it. It's the way all Sundays should be

I really hope it rains for a week or so, it's my favorite kind of weather, as it brings out the most majestic, graceful and chaotic beauty of nature and I'm thankful to live in an area where I can fully appreciate it in all its splendor.

Originally posted by Serene
Someone sent me an email saying that the reason there are so many lurkers here is because most of the Book Forum users are British and more reserved (less likely to be outspoken) than Americans. Comments, anyone?
I don't really think that's the case. I think there are about as much Americans as there are Brits on here... or other Europeans for that matter.

And as far as British people being more reserved is concerned. I wouldn't really know... I think that's probably generalizing a bit too much.

I think the main reason is that it's not at all easy to discuss books if you're not coming at it from an analytical, methodical angle... In which case the conversation is mostly limited to phrases like "I loved that novel. It was fun." and "I didn't. I thought it rather dull actually". Although it's interesting to hear from like-minded people whether or not they liked a particular book in order to decide whether or not to waste your time reading it, you can hardly call it "challenging" conversation, can you?

lies, I agree. It's hard to sustain a discussion if it's just based on "I liked it," "I liked it, too," "I really, really liked it!" "It sucked!" types of conversations. There's nothing wrong with being a cheerleader for a book, but it's rather difficult having a meaningful conversation unless one is willing to delve into the intricacies of a book.

That being said, I know there are readers who don't like to analyze books they read. They're content to enjoy a book, get and make recommendations. Sometimes, when I think I've found a kindred spirit who expresses the same fondness for a book and I start blathering on about characters or plot points, I see their eyes glaze over - because all they wanted to say was that they liked the book, not have a discussion about it. Of course, it might just be my blathering that gets to them ... - see, I'm doing it now. :)

Anyways, there will always be lurkers and active posters on a forum. I figure if enough topics and books are open for discussion, everyone will get a chance to post a comment or two or three ......

Serene, really appreciate your enthusiasm in trying to liven things up here!

I like this site a lot, and when I first joined, I was a fairly regular poster. But about a month ago, there were a bunch of obnoxious new posters who were just trying to sell stuff.

I got turned off and stopped checking the site as often.

But now I see that those posters are gone.

Cheers to whomever is responsible for getting rid of them!

One reason I like this site is that it stays on topic. So many other forums (usually larger ones) somehow separate from their main topic, and become social clubs. That's not such a bad thing in itself, but instead of being welcoming and friendly social clubs, they become nasty places, a la Lord of the Flies (and since many posters are adolecent boys, maybe that analogy is especially fitting)

I think the Book Forum's policy of banning self-promotion may save this site from the fate of other sites.

I like to come here to discuss with you all about books we are interesting. I feel I enjoy to discuss with you to become our social life. Sometimes I am not confident to put what I think of the books but I do my best. I am sure other will try to put their views. My second language is English. I found hard to put correct english. But I am still learning English everyday.
All the people are different in their own way.

Serene, I have been plagued of late by earworms left and right. The current recurring tune is Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" (a Nine Inch Nails tune).
Beyond that, there isn't much going on. Maybe it is less that there are lurkers about, or that people are reticent to post, but rather that they just haven't much to say away from the world of books.
I am waiting for my boss to call, so that I know where and when I am working. Breakfast was Wheat Chex. For lunch, maybe I'll treat myself to a diner.
I also second HBI's thoughts on barring advertisers and troublesome posters.

Serene, I am from England. My first language is BSL (British Sign Language) that show I am deaf. Everyday you listen to learn English, I don't heard but I use my eyes to read to learn English. Sometimes you can see my English incorrect but some people do correct my English to help me to improve. In discussion forums help my English improving and sometimes I never heard new words and I usually ask someone to explain to me what's it mean.
That's why I read alot to help my English and also my pleasure as well.
We learn everyday new and never stop.

Serene,
In answer to your question, I guess I would have to say that it would have been a "retro" diner (work kept me from going) but around here they aren't "retro", they are just diners. I can think of four or five stainless steel diners around here that have just been added on to over the years. They aren't all good, but they are all "retro" to some extent as a simple condition of being rather than as a conscious design statement.

I went to retro 50's diners in the fifties! Some were great, some were what we called "greasy spoons". My favorites were things like "Dog & Suds" drive-ins. LOVED drive-in movies, where you could take your girl and make out (oh so naughty then) during the show.

You young-uns today don't get the point at all. It was the sense of adventure, which is gone now. The society wasn't what we geezers call "permissive" as it is today.

I'm in a nostalgic mood this morning -- Oh? You noticed?

Back