• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ray Bradbury: Fahrenheit 451

Without referring back to the book, which I don't have, I'll say no I don't see current TV as an instrument for mind washing the population. Enormously popular yes, but not an instrument for control by a central authority, which I believe was the issue. A prediction simply of popularity for TV would be an easy prediction to get right I would think, in light of the history of movies as a forerunner.

Without referring back to the book, which I don't have, I'll say no I don't see current TV as an instrument for mind washing the population. Enormously popular yes, but not an instrument for control by a central authority, which I believe was the issue.
That's the way I remember it Peder, the television in F451 was used by the state/government/central authority to placate and control "the masses". I agree that television for the greater part appeals to the Lowest Common Denominator, but not by "big brother", only big business.

Yes, Pontalba, and television right now, for example, is not producing big popular support for the current administration, which it would dearly love to have. Quite the contrary, the administration receives the lowest approval numbers seen in a long time.

This might be a totally off comment resulting from sleep deprivation, but wouldn't the media be a more likely candidate than the current administration for having the power of controlling the masses through the medium of TV?

I also need to have the book handy. Darn it, I should have bought it when I had the chance a couple of weeks ago.

This might be a totally off comment resulting from sleep deprivation, but wouldn't the media be a more likely candidate than the current administration for having the power of controlling the masses through the medium of TV?

One might say so, but that would be a modern outlook. I wouldn't call that a fulfillent of a prediction of Fahrenheit 451. Or of any others of the genre. The concern then was always the centralization of power (and communication) into an authoritarian government, it seems to me. TV was very young, and 'media' might not even have been a word when Bradbury wrote (1953).

Without referring back to the book, which I don't have, I'll say no I don't see current TV as an instrument for mind washing the population. Enormously popular yes, but not an instrument for control by a central authority, which I believe was the issue. A prediction simply of popularity for TV would be an easy prediction to get right I would think, in light of the history of movies as a forerunner.

TV wasn't used for mind washing in the book. They had wall sized televisions, often multiwalled televisions, but they were still entertainment. The TV became the center piece in the family and nobody wanted books anymore. Family members didn't talk, they watched TV. If your friends visited, they talked about TV characters as though they were important family members.

I also need to have the book handy. Darn it, I should have bought it when I had the chance a couple of weeks ago.

The media is owned and operated by liberals, Fantasy moon. Who do you think owns CNN?

TV wasn't used for mind washing in the book. They had wall sized televisions, often multiwalled televisions, but they were still entertainment. The TV became the center piece in the family and nobody wanted books anymore. Family members didn't talk, they watched TV. If your friends visited, they talked about TV characters as though they were important family members.
Thanks for the correction and fill-in Robert. It has been a long time.

From the hazy memories I'd have to say that's probably right, however I also have to add that the mesmerizing by the television is a component of brain washing. Certainly the repetitive aspect of the 'values' and views that were presented in the book were taken up by the viewers.

From the hazy memories I'd have to say that's probably right, however I also have to add that the mesmerizing by the television is a component of brain washing. Certainly the repetitive aspect of the 'values' and views that were presented in the book were taken up by the viewers.

Perhaps. But remember that all the bad things that went on in the story, including the book burning, were done because it was the will of the people.

Perhaps. But remember that all the bad things that went on in the story, including the book burning, were done because it was the will of the people.

That raises my curiosity. The content for the programming presumably responded to popular interest, but came from where? Was that content provided from a central governmental/communication bureau, responsive to whom and with what purpose? That has apparently all slipped my mind for F451, or else partly been confused with themes from 1984.

That raises my curiosity. The content for the programming presumably responded to popular interest, but came from where? Was that content provided from a central governmental/communication bureau, responsive to whom and with what purpose? That has apparently all slipped my mind for F451, or else partly been confused with themes from 1984.

I don't recall where the program came from, Peder. I only remember that the popular program was an interactive show.

I don't recall where the program came from, Peder. I only remember that the popular program was an interactive show.
Sounds like it would be an interesting book for me to reread, to compare my current reactions to my lack of detailed recall from when it was published. Someday, that is. :flowers:

Yes, that's my problem, I read all those so close together so many years ago, they've run together in my mind. A reread would be in order, guess I'll put it on my mental list, or I may still have a copy buried somewhere.

Yes, that's my problem, I read all those so close together so many years ago, they've run together in my mind. A reread would be in order, guess I'll put it on my mental list, or I may still have a copy buried somewhere.

I guess this is one of the few times when not having read 1984 gives me an advantage.

I remember reading this my sophomore year of high school, and I remember liking it. I think I should pick it up again and give it another go...just to make sure I liked it. *lol*

Back