• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ray Bradbury: Fahrenheit 451

Halcyon

Greetings,

I just finished Fahrenheit 451. I enjoyed it, but it left me with general questions about fiction reading(mostly related to the book), to which I will employ you, dear cyber friends, to answer for me. But first, please read this paragraph from the novel:

“Montag looked at the river. We’ll go on the river. He looked at the old railroad tracks. Or we’ll go that way. Or we’ll walk on the highways now, and we’ll have time to put things into ourselves. And someday, after it sets in us a long time, it’ll come out our hands and our mouths. And a lot of it will be wrong, but just enough of it will be right. We’ll just start walking today and see the world and the way the world walks around and talks, and the way it really looks. I want to see everything now. And while none of it will be me when it goes in, after a while it’ll all gather together inside and it’ll be me. Look at the world out there, my God, my God, look at it out there, outside me, out there beyond my face and the only way to really touch it is to put it where it’s finally me, where it’s in the blood, where it pumps around a thousand times ten thousand a day. I get hold of it so it’ll never run off. I’ll hold onto the world tight someday. I’ve got one finger on it now; that’s a beginning. "

1. What type of writing is this?

Though confident I’m perfectly literate, I would admit that I’m a piss-poor reader. But I still think this book wasn’t entirely simple reading. I felt like I understood (also enjoyed) the book, but I don’t have a large enough reading base to properly place this book as a ‘type’ of writing. What do you, experienced reader, think?

2. Would someone define difficult reading vs. easy reading, and place Fahrenheit 451 within this continuum?

I imagine that ‘academic reading’ or ‘technical reading’ can be either easy or difficult. I suppose it is also fair to say that fiction/non-fiction and all the flavors within fall into or between easy and difficult. So is something difficult simply because it is verbose or full of recondite vocabulary (i.e. jargon)? Likewise, is something easy to read because it’s full of straight forward ideas in straight forward sentences (Mr. Potter for example)?

Halcyon said:
Greetings,

1. What type of writing is this?

2. Would someone define difficult reading vs. easy reading, and place Fahrenheit 451 within this continuum?
#1. What do you mean by type of writing? Could you elaborate?

#2. Whether a book is considered difficult or easy reading largely depends on the reader, doesn't it?

I regard books that require careful reading - with different, perhaps layered conceptual themes and that make me actively think - as 'challenging' rather than difficult (Foucault's Pendulum was very challenging). To me, difficult is a non-fiction technical book full of unfamiliar tekkie jargon.

I'd say Fahrenheit 451 falls towards the easy end of the continuum.

#1 - the genre (in case that's what you meant) is considered science fiction, because it's set in the future with events that haven't yet occurred.

#1 - the type of writing (what I think you meant), as I understand your question relating to the paragraph, is known as "deep point of view". A deep POV is one where you have dropped inside the character's head to the extent that you are thinking his thoughts at the same time as he does. Therefore, you get a somewhat disjointed viewpoint as the character considers his options and makes up his mind which to pursue.

#2 - This novel is an easy read, as it's not too verbose, but because it strives to dig inside you and make you question things you have heard and read, it becomes "challenging", as Ell said. Reading this book in today's world of book banning, terrorism legislation and threats to civil rights, turns it into a completely different read than if none of these things existed and the entire world was at peace. I know that if I read it again today (the last time I read it was in the 80s) passages would take on new meaning than they did then -- just as 1984 took on new meaning when computers started to track their owners. When it was written, and even in 1984, it was just weird woo-woo stuff "that'll probably never happen". Then things started to get strange.

That's the true value of books like these. They make us question ourselves and everything we hold dear. Sometimes they even change us. So, this book can also be seen as "difficult" in that way.

Does that help?

I was really asking - What’s going on here?

Thank you both for your reply. This forum has really been helpful, especially Ell in my other post. My question asking what type of writing that paragraph is shows a more fundamental question. You see, I have a limited number of books under my belt, probably less than 50. :eek: I understand straight forward witting - sentences that make sense to me. I’ve never really encountered anything else that I paid attention to.

So, when I asked about that paragraph, I was really asking - “What’s going on here?” The writing was different from what I knew. Your response, Cathy, about "deep point of view" is most helpful in answering that question.

As I continue to read I’m certain my level of understanding will increase and soon enough I’ll be able to tackle the more ‘challenging’ books. I believe reading is just like any sport – it takes practice to get good at it. I think some books are written at a high level that a person has to be well prepared before they can tackle it with a reasonable level of understanding. I appreciate this forum and it’s helpfulness as I am attempting to become a strong reader.

Halcyon said:
I was really asking - What’s going on here?
So, when I asked about that paragraph, I was really asking - “What’s going on here?” The writing was different from what I knew. Your response, Cathy, about "deep point of view" is most helpful in answering that question.
To elaborate further:
If you understand that it is Montag's 'deep point of view' and you've seen the development of his character in the latter stages of the book, you realize that he's thinking about his new-found freedom. He can make his own decisions. He's realizing that there are infinite roads he can take and it doesn't matter which way he goes because there is no longer a 'right' way as dictated by authorities. He's excited to discover the world on his own without the filter of authoritarian dictates.

Does this help?

ell

I read this 25yrs ago and had quite forgotten it – except of course the main theme of book burning and that the 451F’ is the temperature at which books burn. I was delighted therefore to revisit this superb 1954 classic, it really was superb and chillingly real – probably more so now than 25yrs ago. Ray Bradbury paints for us a chillingly real picture of the future in which learning is reviled and free though against the norm a crime. Wall sized TV’s pump out a 24hr stream of reality TV style soap dramas in which audience participation is encouraged – sound familiar ? stay with me – no-one appreciates culture or nature and people drive dangerously fast around town for thrills risking death deliberately running over people and animals, everyone wears earphones endlessly streaming music and news straight to them thus avoiding the need to think or talk to one another. Scary stuff eh? 25 years ago it would have been bad enough but now it seems almost real. Great to read then look around and realise Bradbury had the future spot on almost.

This is probably one of those books that people may have read at school or years ago but a re read here in 2005 is well worth it. A short story really you could read it in one sitting and it’s easy to get too as I’ve seen lots in charity shops probably because its still studied today. I was gripped from start to finish and was as delighted with this as I was Orwell and some of the HG Wells I have read – how did these authors guess the future so well? . Well worth a look!

Well, Bradbury (along with other science-fiction geniuses) saw that the world was "ripe" for exploitation. Television was a baby, but was taken to so rapidly that it was obvious that it was a "missing link" that people WANTED to become part of their lives. I didn't feel it was much of a stretch to imagine taking it a bit further. Think of "Howdy-doodie" (sp?) and the fanatical participation of children in the audience and the fights outside for people who WANTED to be in the audience. McCarthy-ism was in full steam in Hollywood, and censorship was starting the pendulum swing to the far right. Then came the 60s and the pendulum swung to the far left. Now it's swinging back again. It's an important book today and probably for every generation so that we realize it's not good to swing too far to either side. Balance in everything... ;)

I read this a few years ago and I didn't like it at all. The first half or so was fine, but then it seemed to adopt a serious case of hyperbole in the development of its plot...

Perhaps I'll give it another chance some day.

Morty said:
I read this a few years ago and I didn't like it at all. The first half or so was fine, but then it seemed to adopt a serious case of hyperbole in the development of its plot...

Perhaps I'll give it another chance some day.
I actually felt the same way about this book - I gave up on it halfway through. The story didn't really captivate me at the start, and it only got worse as I read on.

I read this book due to recommendations I received through TBF & whilst I really liked the general idea behind it, I was left slightly disappointed by the book. I appreciate that I was reading it at an entirely different time to when it was originally written, but felt that the book was sadly lacking something (not sure what exactly though).

Sar said:
I read this book due to recommendations I received through TBF & whilst I really liked the general idea behind it, I was left slightly disappointed by the book. I appreciate that I was reading it at an entirely different time to when it was originally written, but felt that the book was sadly lacking something (not sure what exactly though).

i know what you mean. i'm about halfway through and it seems to be lacking something. which i hate b/c i cannot put my finger on that something. i haven't picked it up since about July, so i'll probably re-start it once i get around to reading it again. i have liked what i read so far though

I read this book in high school (maybe 8 years ago), then again a couple of years ago- both times it surprised me how well Bradbury had predicted the future. I really like the book, and will probably read it again in another decade or so.

I also really liked Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.

Sar said:

The writing style is a bit simplistic, that is a big fault that I had with it. At the same time, he did a wonderful job of outlining what a possible future would look like for the world. You could definitely tell that Bradbury felt some undercurrents that in his mind, threatened the world.

Given that it was originally written in 1950 (a shorter version) as a science fiction story for a sci-fi digest, I think Fahrenheit 451 has withstood the test of time remarkably well.

It's a cautionary and visionary tale that touches on much of what affects western society now, such as dependence on mood-altering drugs (can we all say Prozac?), slavish devotion to TV shows, our vicarious thrill-seeking in watching 'reality' based shows and cop chases. Bradbury got so much right, it's like he time-travelled.

I think the most valid criticism is of his writing style (or lack thereof). But remember it was early on in his career.

I had to read this book for a research paper in high school. I really hated the book while I was reading it, but when I was writing the paper, I fell in love with it. I don't know what it was about the book I enjoyed so much after I had steped away but with the combination of the Literay Criticisim and my imagination I saw the book in a whole new light....I want to find that paper now and see what I wrote about it.

i agree with the original post. this book really was chilling. as i was reading it i really started realizing that alot of the things that he used as satire really do exist and are happening today.

the part about the billboards being really really long because cars zoom buy and need to see it was crazy. no one looks around anymore and admires the color of life. sometimes i feel people dont even know simple things like that there are stars in the sky.

I think I'll track this one down in a thrift store or library so I can read it again. It's always been one of my favorites!

Back