• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Read more then 1 book at once?

VTChEwbecca said:
I did buy a purse big enough to hold my book...even if it is a hardback. I always buy purses with that thought in mind: it has to be big enough for a book.

Lol - same here! :D

I used to read several books at once. I got out the habit when I started getting really really really confused. :)

SLot Dave, your wife is amazing. Won't she lose books leaving them around the house?

I read multiple books as well, out of necessity. :rolleyes: I need to be reading something when I'm idle - esp. waiting for an appointment, travelling, etc, else I'll feel like I'm wasting time. When I'm really free, I read books. When I'm on the move, I read books on my PDA (being a guy and not able to carry a purse is a factor in this). When I'm driving, I run an audiobook. So I can have up to 3 at a time.

ds

VTChEwbecca said:
I've never understood why people can't just walk from one room to another to pick up their book...
Me either, but I do have three "fetchers" Hehe!!

"Hey, pumpkin, get Mommy's book from the nightstand, and bring it to me , please." :D

I almost always read at least two books at a time. One's usually long and serious, and the other might be short, or not, but simpler, for when I don't feel like reading the more complicated one. I always make sure that they're different genres though, and completely different plots and ideas, so that I can't mess them up or anything.

I normally have a couple of books on the go, but at present I'm reading four which is a record for me. They are all different - one history book, one novel, a book I'm using to research my family tree and a non-fiction book about China.

I enjoy dipping into different books, so long as they are different genres. I agree that reading two novels at the same time would be rather confusing.

Folly xx

The past week I've been reading two books at the same time: "Oryx and Crake" and "The Count of Monte Cristo" (volume 2).
I'm not having any troubles doing that. The books are so different, that I'm sure I wont mix up the stories or anything. I don't think it's confusing to read this way, but I think it would have been so, if I for instance read 2 or 3 of Jane Austen's or any other author's books at the same time.
So it kind of depends on which books you are reading. I also do think it depends a little on which language you are reading in, if you're reading one book in English and the other in for instance Spanish, I would think the chanses are slim of you getting confused.

I sometimes try to read two books at once, particularly if the book I'm reading is very heavy going, I might reach for a lighter work of fiction to provide me with some respite from all those thoughts being provoked. However, when I do try to juggle multiple works I end up devoting all my time to one or the other, so I usually find that keeping it to just the one is best and reading magazines for variation.

I'm rarely only reading one book at a time. At the moment I'm on Tim Moore's Spanish Steps, Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum and Anthony Burgess's A Clockwork Orange. Quite a range!

Originally Posted by VTChEwbecca
I did buy a purse big enough to hold my book...even if it is a hardback. I always buy purses with that thought in mind: it has to be big enough for a book.
That's why I haven't bought Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell yet -- it's too big to take anywhere!

Jas

I usually read more than 1 book at a time. Maybe that's why I read so slowly. Right now, I am trying to finish Ulysses by James Joyce and I am getting lost every few pages, so I put it down and read something else for few minutes and go back to it.

CHewbecca--- it only works with the two legged kind ;)

Drizzt---the short ones that call you dada won't laugh, I promise.

Drizzt Do'Urden said:
yah, i love kids....My brothers only a kid....
Want one of mine? Haha, just kidding. It's cool that you love kids. Do you two newlyweds have plans to start a family soon? (If I am being too nosy, just say so, you don't have to answer :D )

hay82 said:
I can't remeber having read more than one book at a time. I like to be in one world at a time.
Feel the same. Most of my reading is done commuting. This slows it down somewhat and builds anticipation. Hence I couldn't stick with something unappealing.

cajunmama said:
Want one of mine? Haha, just kidding. It's cool that you love kids. Do you two newlyweds have plans to start a family soon? (If I am being too nosy, just say so, you don't have to answer :D )

I haven't mentioned it.....I'm not sure Holly loves kids anyway. Shes fine with them, but she had alot of issues with her little brother, who is now is Jail for Sexual Harrassment on her....It's a real sad story.

Drizzt Do'Urden said:
I haven't mentioned it.....I'm not sure Holly loves kids anyway. Shes fine with them, but she had alot of issues with her little brother, who is now is Jail for Sexual Harrassment on her....It's a real sad story.
i'm so sorry!! i can't think of anything to say except that i'm really sorry!!
take care
bye ;)
P.S. my best wishes for your marriage, i had no way to say that until now!! :)

Back