• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading Camp

MobiusX

How many here have been to a reading camp? How old were you when you went? How much did you or your parents paid? How was it? I've never been to one, but I wish I did because right now, I can't even concentrate in my reading. Actually, I do not even read anymore. What can a 21 year old male do now? I mean, I don't think they have reading camps for people my age or even reading clubs. Do I sound stupid?

Hi, Mobius. It just occured to me that, here on this site you actually are already reading something - all these posts. That's a start! Read around and find something you're interested in. Fantasy, self-help, college texts, humor, art, music, crafts projects, thinking of your own interests. Good luck to you, sir.

(sorry, nothing about reading camps, but it sounds like a book group, no?)

No book camp experience here. In fact, my parents normally sent me to camp to get me out of the house and away from my books (fresh air and sunshine). I would say to start with something that you like to do (self-help books), then branch into non-fiction or fiction on those topics. If they cannot hold your interest, ask your friends what they read. If your friends don't read, then you are going alone without any support - which can be tough. You can do it though.

Find a second-hand book shop. I find the people in there are usually a more down-to-earth crowd who really like books (not just fads, but really like to read). Also, buying the books they suggest do not take a major investment. Once you find a genre you like, well then you are on your way.

Its sounds to me like your main issue with reading at the moment is your lack of concentration. Are you on medication that might contribute to this problem? Talking to your councilor might be a good place to start. I know that concentration problems can be caused by depression, so please, bring this up when you next see this person.

TerishD said:
I would say to start with something that you like to do (self-help books),
No no no, don't start with self-help books, they will put you off reading for life.

Self-help books are the lowest level of writing, but they are what made the publishing industry what it is. One of the earliest uses of the printing press was to write down methods teaching others how to do something. Self-help books are, at the basic, a common reference for people to share skills.

Most people uninterested in a topic will not read a self-help book, but those interested will (often to argue about methods, but there is often a hope to learn a new procedure). If you like carpentry, for example, enough to read a self-help book, you will then probably enjoy a book about a carpenter and the trials that he goes through (assuming there is such a book - ignoring the Bible as it really does not bring out Jesus's carpentry skills). The point is that reading is a skill, so one cannot simply jump into reading a major novel, but should first find something worthy (interesting) of devoting the time and effort.

steffee said:
No no no, don't start with self-help books, they will put you off reading for life.

Maybe he meant how-to books..like how to build birdhouses or staircases..

MobiusX said:
How many here have been to a reading camp? How old were you when you went? How much did you or your parents paid? How was it? I've never been to one, but I wish I did because right now, I can't even concentrate in my reading. Actually, I do not even read anymore. What can a 21 year old male do now? I mean, I don't think they have reading camps for people my age or even reading clubs. Do I sound stupid?

I am concerned by your statement: I can't even concentrate in my reading.

Age 21 is young, but not too young for a complete physical with blood-work and urinalysis. Rule out any medical problems which might possibly interfere with your ability to concentrate. Be sure to mention to your doctor that you have a problem concentrating.

After you are certain that you are in good health, then, here are some suggestions:

1.) Audio books. Perhaps if you listen to a recorded reading it will help. Sometimes you can read along in the book while you listen to the reading.

2.) The Signet Classics has a series of books which include a DVD of the movie version in the back of the book. I just purchased their edition of Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostrand, which includes the classic 1950 production starring Jose Ferrer. By the way, Jose Ferrer played the role on the stage production, winning a Tony Award for his performance. He won an Oscar for the movie. Hence he is one of the very few to win both a Tony AND an Oscar for the same role (on stage and in cinema).

Tell us what interests you! Do you like mystery, sci-fi, romance, adventure, drama, war?

Start with some short reads like Hemingway's "Old Man and the Sea" or Camus' "The Stranger", and then work your way up, gradually, to "War and Peace" and "Gone with the Wind".

I guess he did, but even "how-to" books are tedious. You can maybe read one paragraph, or look at the diagrams of how to build a shed, but nobody reads the thing.

Do they?

Okay, I'll get my coat now.

I agree whole heartedly with Sitaram's suggestions..specially about getting checked out by a medical doctor. This is not something to fool around with. Too bad there's not a worried smilie or I'd post one..

<Start with some short reads like Hemingway's "Old Man and the Sea" or Camus' "The Stranger", and then work your way up, gradually, to "War and Peace" and "Gone with the Wind".>

Now I know what's wrong with me..I got the order reversed! I read Gone With the Wind in the 6th grade, and have yet to work my way up to War and Peace:D

steffee said:
I guess he did, but even "how-to" books are tedious. You can maybe read one paragraph, or look at the diagrams of how to build a shed, but nobody reads the thing.

Do they?

Okay, I'll get my coat now.

Oh, stay put hon! MY hubby read and reread several different books when he was building our house. He stopped at building sites and asked lots of questions and studied how the pros did things, and talked to lots of others who'd done various house building projects, read lots of books and magazines..oh wait, I said that didn't I:D The point is, not all how to books are dry and boring. There's too much competition in the publishing world for any publisher to have to settle for mediocre manuscripts, and plenty of demand for books on every topic imaginable;)

Yeah, okay, I concede that's true.

Still, don't start with self-help or how-to books unless you're an avid fan of juggling or playing darts or watching trains or something.

steffee said:
Yeah, okay, I concede that's true.

Still, don't start with self-help or how-to books unless you're an avid fan of juggling or playing darts or watching trains or something.

The males in my house have a saying "If all else fails, read the instructions". The time it takes, I'd love to jam a few how-to books under their noses at times.:D

Here is a thought:

Get a copy of Ernest Hemingway's "The Old Man and the Sea", and also get the DVD of the 1958 movie version with Spencer Tracy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004YRID/103-1404912-0562220?v=glance&n=130

Read the book. Then watch the DVD. If you have trouble focusing on the reading, then watch the DVD (but dont forget to go back and read the book because the goal of this exercise is to get you reading.)

You could also get the 1990 remake with Anthony Quinn

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1404912-0562220?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

You can also get an audio cassette recording of the book, read aloud:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0898459524/103-1404912-0562220?v=glance&n=283155

It is a beautiful story in very straight forward language.

Rumi once said: "Do not seek water for water is everywhere. Seek thirst! Without thirst, the water has no value."

Your problem is not reading, or books, but to nurture within yourself the hunger and thirst for reading. To read, you must fall in love with something that you can only access through reading. You must fall in love with an idea, a mood, a fantasy, a dream. Reading is like dreaming while awake.

Pleasant dreams!

What other interests do you currently have. Any sports, studies, job, girlfriend, problems, etc. Maybe there are other things that are occupying your mind.

I've never even heard of reading camp before... where was that while I was growing up???!!!

*takes a deep breath* I'm calm. Really.

I never heard of reading camp either, when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was about reading campy books. Imagine that-a camp where all you do is read! No idiotic craft projects, (well, lanyards are practically required at any camp) no embarrassing spills out of the canoe in the middle of the lake, no hours-long hikes in the broiling sun followed by the worst case of poison ivy the camp nurse ever saw. Hppefully they tell you what are the best foods to eat while you read.

Anyway, I agree-go get yourself checked out physically, and an eye exam too. I liked the suggestion of reading the book then watching the DVD or vice versa. But it has to be a movie where the book has been followed faithfully, not some screenwriter's version of the book.

I suggest try reading shortstories. That way you don't have to commit to anything long and you won't have to keep concentrating for long periods of time. I like Charles de Lint's Dreams Underfoot, where most of the stories are 15-20 pages, and really good urban fantasy.

MobiusX said:
right now, I can't even concentrate in my reading. ... Do I sound stupid?

I hope you other guys take this a bit too seriously with some of the more worried suggestions... ;) Mobius, I don't think you sound stupid and I hope there's nothing wrong with you! I know a lot of people don't have time in their lives, or the habit of taking the time, to be able to concentrate on reading. (It's a bit difficult for me, as a bookaholic, to relate, but there you are :rolleyes: ) I think the thing to do is to start a new routine, and maybe find a great place where you'll like to sit and read and won't be too disturbed. And as mentioned, roam this forum for ideas on which books to read.

About the camp, I hadn't heard of reading camps either and agree they sound great! :D But I have been to writing camp a lot of times in my teens and they were excellent: little havens of creativity and imagination.

*mrkgnao*

I went to reading camp a few years ago. It was GREAT!

We all got complimentary slippers and robes that we were encourged to wear at all times. We learned to drink hot toddies and smoke corncob pipes. We were told that as we get older, we ought to move on to snifters of brandy.
Most of the days were spent in large recliners in front of the hearth, reading musty volumes of hoary literature and epic poems.
I learned a lot about ancient battles that summer. My Xenophanes diorama even won third prize in the year's big contest!

Back