• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading in February

rune

So what are you all reading this month?

I have just finished War for the Oaks by Emma Bull and have now started Snare by Katherine Kerr :)

rune

I've just finished a book so I'm taking a break before deciding what to read next, I am trying to get a copy of 1984 at the library, if I get it, I'll read that.

Me? I'm reading for the my job, but other than that, I've decided to re-read all of my own manuscripts. LOL

So far this month:
The Portrait of Mrs Charuque, Jeffrey Ford - a fantastic read, excellently written 10/10
Veniss Underground, Jack Vandermeer - not everyone's cup of tea, I loved the style 9/10
To Green Angel Tower: Storm, Tad Williams - as long winded as ever but still an enjoyable conclusion to the series. 6/10
Currently Reading - Kushiel's Chosen, Jacqueline Carey. A great improement on the first book which I though was a bit bland, hopefully the pace and quality can stick through to the end. Should be finished it soon, then onto the Worm Ouroboros.

The Charmed Sphere, Catherine Asaro

I haven't read her other stuff, evidently it's more sci fi tho this is pure fantasy - romance. Interesting take on magic. For those of you in the states, I got it free from Luna (www.luna-books.com) They'll send you one every month, but the 1st one is free and you can cancel if you want.

Currently on Prince of the Blood, by Raymond E. Feist, the first follow-up to the Riftwar series (Magician, etc.) :)

Phil

Didn't like that very much. Seemed like he was milking off the succsess of Riftwar, very uninspired.

I just finished book three of Jordan's Wheel of Time series and I need a break
from Sci-Fi and Fantasy so I started reading an old Perry Mason book and I may also tackle the Count of Montecristo.

The Worm Ouroboros by E.R. Eddison is a good read full proof that there was well written fantasy pre Tolkien.:eek: (Back Tolkien fan boys back I say)

I have just finished The Urth of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe and have started The Mummy or Ramses The Damned by Anne Rice for a little vacation from fantasy and sci fi.:D But as soon as I finish this I plan on reading Exile's Honor and Exile's Valor by Mercedes Lackey. Then I plan on getting into Across the Nightingale Floor and Grass For His Pillow by Lian Hearn.

Ben, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Rice Mummy when you've finished. I read it a number of years ago & enjoyed it very much. I still remember the trying to find it all over in hardback and finally finding a HB book club edition in a used book store off the beaten path. Ahh, the memories.

Bill

Just finished it up last night and must say I enjoyed it immensely the story and characters were great. The only downside to it that I see is she never wrote a sequel for it and it really seems a shame the ending left you wanting for more.

Finished Kushiel's Chosen - a massive improvement on the first book, this really is an excellent novel - 8/10

Across the Nightengale Floor - 5/10
Not really my cup of tea.

On holiday, finished -

The King Of Torts, by Big Jonny Grisham
Love Lives by Emlyn Rees & Josie Lloyd

Phil :)

I've been on a catch up with King Arthur fest:

Once and Future King by T. H. White (January)
Crystal Cave and Hollow Hills by Mary Stewart (with The Last Enchantment next month)

Figure Mists of Avalon will come after that.

Finishing Impossible Odds by Dave Duncan (King's Blades book) This man knows how to handle a series without burning out himself or the reader, and mostly because he brings in so many new characters.

O

The Mists of Avalon is my personal Arthurian novel, simple a classic.

Currently reading Darker Than You Think by Jack Willaimson, very enjoyable so far, with an absolutely perfect villainette.

Currently reading - The King's Buccaneer by Raymond E. Feist (yup, another one!!!)

Oponn - Prince of the Blood certainly wasnt fantastic, but i found it fairly enjoyable - the one i felt was a bit weak was Silverthorn, just felt a bit sparse inbetween Magician and Darkness at Sethanon, which were both fabulous!! :)

Phil

Right now I am reading "The Broken Sword" By Poul Anderson. Very good and stuff. SO well written. I am impressed :) This one is pre-Tokien too. I wish this has been the benchmark for fantasy. Poul Anderson can actually write very well and manage to tell a great story in a single novel. * ouch :) *

Regards
Wabbit

Back