• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading in June - Fantasy/Sci-Fi

magemanda said:
I've just finished Duncton Wood by William Horwood, which can be kind of counted as a fantasy book, I guess (very similar to Watership Down, in that the animals are humanised).
I could never really get into Duncton Wood. I think I read the first 3 chapters a couple of times, but never read any further. What did you think of it?

My reading of the book was about the sixth re-read I have done of the book - I'm fairly enamoured of William Horwood's six Duncton books, and enjoy them thoroughly every time I read them.

I have to say on this re-read I did notice a few slow dips to the book, where I was able to skim on a bit (which a new reader probably wouldn't). As I get older the magic of the books has faded a little.

But they're well-worth a read, IMO. The beauty of the language used by Horwood is very good and they're a good moralistic tale with a bit of religious war and spirituality thrown in for good measure.

The two things I most love about this book and its sequels is the very strong characterisation and the fact they can be read at different levels. By this I mean that you can either simply read them as an adventure/quest story or you can delve into the many undercurrents within the book (Christianity, war, tolerance, basic kindness etc). Same with Watership Down, where there are comments on fascism and freedom within the writing about a group of rabbits and their desire to find a new home.

Really, I would recommend the Duncton books - worth persevering with.

I'm half way through Diplomacy of Wolves by HOlly Lisle - it's quite good, a little slow at times, but some good scenes.

rune said:
I'm half way through Diplomacy of Wolves by HOlly Lisle - it's quite good, a little slow at times, but some good scenes.

Hey! I read that book a while ago, I liked it (easy read as I recall, I think I read it in about 4 or 5 days). Never got around to the rest of the series. Thanks for sparking my memories!

Done with Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space, more then 2/3 done with Jonathan Moeller's Demonsouled, and started Reynolds next one Chasm City.

Sell Sword said:
Hey! I read that book a while ago, I liked it (easy read as I recall, I think I read it in about 4 or 5 days). Never got around to the rest of the series. Thanks for sparking my memories!

I ended up quite enjoying the book, but was a little disappointed to find the rest in the series are going to be difficult to get.

I'm reading Sea Beggars by Paul Kearney at present, the first book in the Mark of the Ran series :)

I read Sarah Micklem's Firethorn last week. Her first book. Quite well written, but a very grim story :( I tend to prefer a book that includes a little bit of hope.

Now reading Drowned Wednesday by Garth Nix :D

I am loving Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. He's fast becoming one of my most favourite authors and I may soon turn into ds :eek: . I think I'll take a break after this one so that I don't wear out his welcome (that, and I have to get on other TBRs).

I've heard great things about Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, so maybe that'll be next. All library-dependent, of course.

I got sidetracked from the Garth Nix book as a couple of Library books came in that I've had on order for a while :)

One was Alosha by Christopher Pike. I'd always thought he wrote horror. But this is a first book in his new fantasy series. It was OK, though not as mature as I'd like and I didnt mind him using familair fantasy creatures, but I think he needed to make them a bit more original :confused:

Going to read a horror now before going back to Garth Nix :)

Just finished reading The Scar by China Meivile, which I didn't enjoy as much as Perdido Street Station, and also a Max Barry's Jennifer Government, in which provides a scary look at the near future where corporations declare actual war on each other.

I'm reading a couple of works:

Vellum by Hal Duncan which will be released in August - you may want to preorder this book, this is one of thr finest debut novels I have ever read thus far. For synopsis/cover I posted it at FBS Here

Don't miss this. This is a tremendous read.

The Sandman: Book of Dreams Edited by Neal Gaiman, which I'm bascially done with, a fine collection of writers in the Sandman setting including Gene Wolfe, Susanna Clarke, John. M Ford, Tad WIlliams, and a host of other top talents.

I'm also starting Dan Simmon's Olympos, the sequel to the one of the best books a couple years ago Ilium.

Also getting into Vernor Vinge's A Deepness in the the Sky

I'm about halfway throug Kazuo Ishiguro's The Unconsoled. Ishiguro is just a supremely talented writer, I recommend his latest effort, Never Let Me Go.

Back