• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading in the car?

I think the reason you get sick is because your body feels the movement, but your eyes don't agree you are moving. If you look out of the window you don't feel so sick anymore.

I think it's the same, or at least akin to sea-sickness. People travelling on ships suffer this for a day or two and then get their 'sea-legs'. So I expect if you get someone to drive you around for a few days, and you read, you may actaully get used to it!

I don't know if you can get used to it. My wife of almost 26 years still gets sick when she tries.

Lemming, I've know people that never got over getting sea sick.

I've never had problems reading the car (or getting sea sick).

Robert said:
Lemming, I've know people that never got over getting sea sick.

I see, I thought it was just a 'get used to it' thing. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe some people can cope but others can't.

sterculelum said:
Cab you do it? I feel sick. I'd love to be able to though. Can you make yourself used to it?

yep, but for obvious reasons, I keep books out of the car. :D :eek:

It's strange - I can read on planes, trains, boats and buses, but not cars. makes me want to heave.

I've heard that the front seat is better. A breeze from an open window might help too.

Audio books would work around the problem. If the driver and other passengers don't want to hear it, then earphones; but here's something: motion sickness comes from the inner ear. I wonder if earphones would aggravate that.

Mari said:
I wonder if earphones would aggravate that.
Actually, they're supposed to help. I worked on a ship for a short period of time as an engineer and had to use computers and read documents, charts etc. Having ear phones (the bud ones that go in the ear) was one of the suggestions for overcoming seasickness. I find it does help, but it could be psycosomatic. Unfortunately not an appropriate solution for work, hence the reason I'm now working on shore!

There was a similar thread about car sickness and reading recently (see here ). It may have had some suggestions.

I don't think you can get used to it. I get motion sickness pretty bad - in cars and when playing video games. The more I push it the sicker I get.

I used to read quite a lot in the bus; maybe the heavy traffic provided time enough for me to enjoy whatever I was reading. For some reason, I've never managed to maintain reading in a car. Possibly because it would be rather rude in such a small space to ignore your travelling companions. I tend to chat or listen to music in cars rather than reading. Otherwise, I tend to ignore the environment around me when I'm engrossed in a good book.

I read on the school bus most morning and afternoons, to and from school. Most of the time I dont feel sick, but depending on the bus we get, sometimes I do. Then I have to walk home and the movement of walking makes me wanna barf!! ewww.
In the car, i read a couple of paragraphs or pages at a time, then take a break, breath out the window, and then start reading again.
I'm fine on trains and planes.

Lani

I can read in cars without getting sick, but I only do so if there are at least 2 or 3 other people in the car. I feel so rude if I'm sitting there reading while the driver has nothing to do..

MonkeyCatcher

I recently took a road trip from Chicago to New Orleans, and I read all the way down and back up!

I have no problems reading the car. I think it's just Mind over Matter. Whenever I get in the car and know my husband will drive, I will grab a book to read. It's fun!

Car sickness

I have done, and do temporarily at times but i get car sick.
I don't think you can get used to it because it's a problem your brain has with the movement felt not tying up with what's being seen, but try reading on motorways (obv not if you're driving! ;)) - they're straight so you should be better on them.

Claire x

Back