• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading-related Hobbies

No other reading-related hobbies really, just visiting this Forum (which is occasionally book related!) and buying lots and lots of books, then trying to find somewhere to put them once I get home. :D

Originally posted by Ice:
That's exactly what Phil's like We can't go anywhere without him dragging me into every bookshop we come across.
Whenever dh sees me drifting towards a table of books, he wisely offers to go off to get a cup of coffee and leaves me to browse to my heart's content. Sure it's one reason we've managed 30+ years together. ;)

Ell :)

Themistocles said:
I do exactly the same, I keep track of a number of quotations from all variety of sources and later note them down; when reading a book I always have a sheet of paper in addition to my bookmark to note any interesting passages, and then add them all once I've finished and I take a notebook to the theatre with me and jot down anything I hear. These pearls of wisdom, in a way, form the cornerstone of my life philosophy, regardless of whether they come from anyone from Isaac Asimov (see sig!) to John Milton, and even stretching to Yoda!

In addition, my love of reading has nurtured a fascination with words in general, as a consequence of which I am studying Classical Greek and Latin, both because of a love of Classical culture (especially the Greeks) and also due to the etymological interest of these two languages, the foundations of much of western language.

Um, are you me? LOL. I've also gotten some great quotes from Yoda, I have studied classical Latin and plan to study Classical Greek when I get the chance. Both cultures fascinate me, as well.

In addition, my love of reading has nurtured a fascination with words in general, as a consequence of which I am studying Classical Greek and Latin, both because of a love of Classical culture (especially the Greeks) and also due to the etymological interest of these two languages, the foundations of much of western language.

Yeah! Like I said im studying biblical Hebrew it is very fun. I also plan on studying classical greek and latin myself! Weee this is great! :)

Like a few of the folks here, I also keep a quote journal (of sorts). I find it best to wait a little while to write them down, though, because they aren't always as great as they seemed at first blush.
As for other hobbies, I should say that I have a genetic pre-disposition to collecting. My mother, at present, has 5 major collections (books featuring dogs as the main characters, and the works of the first American printer to print in color are just two of them) which I am resposible for organizing and cataloging. As a result, I try to stay away from that sort of thing (with the exception of a mountain of books).
I do, however, have a small collection of prints and original art which feature books or libraries or something to do with writing. (Immediately to my right are a print of the Bodleian, ca. 1890, a still life of books on a table, ca. 1920, and a framed tablet cover for "Blair's Foot Print Map Drawing Tablet", ca. 1880, showing Robinson Crusoe and Friday.)

i like go to the library and read the peotry, then if i saw a line i wanted to remember, id take a pic of it with my cell, and put it as my screensaver, so i could memorize it from always looking at my cell. sounds dumb i guess, but i like it.

:it was my heart that changed my mind, that made me see, that let me hear, which let me know i was doing the wrong thing: by locusts path

funes said:
I do, however, have a small collection of prints and original art which feature books or libraries or something to do with writing. (Immediately to my right are a print of the Bodleian, ca. 1890, a still life of books on a table, ca. 1920, and a framed tablet cover for "Blair's Foot Print Map Drawing Tablet", ca. 1880, showing Robinson Crusoe and Friday.)
That sounds like a neat idea. What an interesting theme to pick for art.

lahondas said:
i like go to the library and read the peotry, then if i saw a line i wanted to remember, id take a pic of it with my cell, and put it as my screensaver, so i could memorize it from always looking at my cell. sounds dumb i guess, but i like it.
That doesn't seem like a dumb idea. If you truly love a quote, that's a great way to memorize it. I often memorize them via lots of use.

I ususally go to bookshop and also charity shop to browse second hand books. I am regularly come here.

It's great coming on here-most people at school really wonder why I study Greek and Latin, say there's no point. Great minds think alike and all that...

Don't bother posting the equally renowned contradictory proverb anybody. I need my precious self-esteem!

Back