• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading the book, when you have seen the movie?

Libra

If you have seen the movie , do you bother with book?
I saw The Davinci Code movie , and I still haven't bothered with the book on my bookshelf!

Most of the time, I try to refrain from watching, til I read the book.

But, I guess it's like what F.Moon said, depends on how exciting the movie was. Also depends on what kind of review the book would have.

Such as 'I am Legend' which was pretty interesting as a movie, but when I checked out the reviews on the book, it only turned out to be a short story.

Then there are movies that has plenty of special effects such as Matrix, which draws us with their actions and special effects - the book would not be a top choice to be perused at Barnes and Nobles.

I saw the play of Les Miserables about a year ago, and reading the book now - drawn by its mesmerizing storyline.

Such as 'I am Legend' which was pretty interesting as a movie, but when I checked out the reviews on the book, it only turned out to be a short story.
I don't know that 160 pages constitutes a "short story," but it does cover a whole lot more than the movie does. Quite simply, it's one of the greatest horror novels ever written.

I saw The Davinci Code movie , and I still haven't bothered with the book on my bookshelf!
Good. :D

I prefer to read the book first, and sadly I usually find the movie to be a letdown; almost always inferior to the book. There are however two exceptions: Brokeback Mountain (the short story is good, but the movie is outstanding, and one of my absolute favourites) and The Devil's Advocate (the movie is pretty good popcorn fodder, but the book is atrocious - possibly the worst book I have ever read).

I watched the first Lord of the rings first then read the book. Found I loved the book despite having seen the movie first. Read the second two books before I watched the next films and found I was slightly disappointed with the films.

Same as Harry Potter, watched the first four before I read any of them, was really excited to watch the fifth film after I read the book but found myself disappointed with it.

I still prefer to read the book first though!

Sometimes it's fun to read the book to see how much the movie left out and to see if the kept the book's ending.

I don't know that 160 pages constitutes a "short story," but it does cover a whole lot more than the movie does. Quite simply, it's one of the greatest horror novels ever written.

See, I told you I haven't read it, only misinformative reviews. I just might have to look for it next time I drop by a book store.

Along with the Davinci Code are:
Dreamcatcher-Stephen King ,which I loved as a movie but will probably never pick up the book.
Runaway Jury-John Grisham
The client
The Pelican Brief

If I know the begining ,middle and end I really don't bother with the book.

I just saw Atonement and hated it, so I'm not sure if I should bother with the book.
Usually I just read the book first.

If movies are getting a lot of hype, then I usually try and read the book before watching the movie. I usually enjoy books much more than the corresponding movie, so I'd rather be suprised when reading than when watching.

Maybe you disliked the film due to the fact there's no music, if you gave it another go you may notice this even more...........read the book and move on.

I found this movie boring and never watched all the way through, is it worth another try?

NO ... lol

i saw the movie gone with the wind first and then read the book, i liked them both very much:)
i watched there will be blood recently, i didnt like it, but i suspect the book is much better - has anyone read it?also, in my opinion, the talented mr. ripley, that i saw before reading the book, was another good movie based on a fairly good book...

I agree, in theory I like to read the book before seeing the film, recently there seems to have been a huge number of films based on books, so it's become a bit difficult. I saw 'The Da Vinci Code' before reading the book and found that the novel really helped fill in and explain parts of the film that I couldn't understand.

I've heard that Audrey Niffenegger's 'Time Traveler's Wife' is being made into a film - not sure whether I'd want to go and see it or not!

Usually I try to read the book before watching the movie, but when I see the movie first and I like it then I want to read the book it was based on mainly for two reasons: to see if the movie was true to the story, and to know more about the story as the movie never tells everything...

Sometimes I feel like neither the book nor the movie tell the story like I would like it to be told. One example: Chocolat. I prefer the ending of the movie over the one of the book, but when it comes to the "bad guy", the one in the book just makes more sense to me than the one in the movie...

Back