• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Real Books? eBooks? Where do you stand?

What do you prefer?

• Tangible Books

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • eBooks

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Both

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Don't reallt care either way

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I like both. I feel that I use my Kindle regularly, but I still visit the library and request books that I don't feel like purchasing. I'm currently reading a DTB from the library.

One of my biggest pet peeves about eBooks is the crappy editing in some of them. It bothers me when words are misused or homonyms are used for the correct word. I realize that eBooks are fairly new, but many of them need to be better edited. As a general rule, DTBs are better edited than their eBook counterparts.

Peeves are better shared. I've been very annoyed with some ebooks that might have been edited by 6th graders. What makes this home educator even more upset, I can't print out those errors to show my kids what 'bad' looks like..Oh well, there's always Junie B. Jones for that:whistling:

Hahaha, I was :lol: when reading that. But yes, I do agree, some self publishing ebook authors do need some better editing skills. I read one ebook (which will remain unnamed) that was just bad... I mean bad. Grammar errors and even some spelling errors. There/Their combo mix up etc. But it does give me a good chuckle

Peeves are better shared. I've been very annoyed with some ebooks that might have been edited by 6th graders. What makes this home educator even more upset, I can't print out those errors to show my kids what 'bad' looks like..Oh well, there's always Junie B. Jones for that:whistling:

Hahahaha!!! Good one! I have a whole page of Bushism's and MLIA posts that I take to my students to illustrate "bad".

I like paper books and I like my Kindle. The advantage of the Kindle for me is that I find holding a hardback book puts a strain on my thumbs which have a bit of arthritis whereas the Kindle is so light it's comfortable. I do like to read the outline of a book which you get with hardbacks but with a Kindle you pretty much get launched right into the plot. So there are good points for both. I still go to the library as I can search the catalogue online and find out if there are any newish books by favourite authors instead of buying the book - it's certainly easier on the wallet. I have found occasionally that the price of a Kindle edition is sometimes not very different from the paper book just that you can have it within minutes rather than waiting for it to come by mail. :)

I have a kindle that I have only used 3-4 times. I was really pumped to get it and dled all the free books onto it ( the classics and such), but whenever I want to read a new book, I just go buy it from the store. I like real books and having a book shelf better

I like paper books and I like my Kindle. The advantage of the Kindle for me is that I find holding a hardback book puts a strain on my thumbs which have a bit of arthritis whereas the Kindle is so light it's comfortable. I do like to read the outline of a book which you get with hardbacks but with a Kindle you pretty much get launched right into the plot. So there are good points for both. I still go to the library as I can search the catalogue online and find out if there are any newish books by favourite authors instead of buying the book - it's certainly easier on the wallet. I have found occasionally that the price of a Kindle edition is sometimes not very different from the paper book just that you can have it within minutes rather than waiting for it to come by mail. :)

Aye, very true. Sometimes the prices are like a dollar less then the hard cover. I do agree it is nice to have them at your fingertips instead of having to wait for them to come in the mail, or when in a lazy mood drive to the store.

I have nothing against e-book readers. I prefer tangible books, but if you want to read virtual books, that's how you read.

Not like we'll be reading anything different if you and I read the same book two different ways is there?

My goodness there is nothing better than crawling into bed with multiple glasses of wine, sometimes keeping it classy and drinking from the bottle; and burrowing down into your blankets. Book in hand, sinking deep into the story, sliding your fingers down the soft pages.. the whisper of the paper as you flip the page and it settles down among the words of the past.
It's beautiful... But then, on a long plane ride popping out an ereader that has your favourite comfort book on it.. lighter, more compact and handy for elbow room too!

Looking at the results of the poll so far -- 15 to 3 in favor of those who use e-readers over those who favor tangible books exclusively. -- I am surprised at the rapid and near overwhelming popularity of e-readers. Especially in the light of what I recall to be quite divided thoughts about merits of e-readers and e-books. The future is here, so quick, right before our eyes. :eek:

Peder: I just looked at the poll results and it looked like "both" was showing 63% of the vote. Am I reading the poll wrong?

He got the 15 from (Both + ebooks). Someone else voted tangible after his post so now it is 15 - 4.

Personally I prefer physical books.
I really dont like the idea of having to buy more and spend more just to read a book... And what about the people who cant afford to digitilize thier reading form...
it concerns me deeply, there are many issues specially when it comes to libraries.. How on earth are we suppose to borrow a digital book? my view may change when I am financial enough to intergrate to a e reader.. but then again unless all are matt my vision will be impaired... hmm headache versus reading.... tough choice

Update:

I’ve received my Kindle Touch and loaded a huge amount of stuff on it. I’m officially a fan.

The complete works of H.P. Lovecraft? I think it was a buck.

30 of the classics? Free.

Short stories from all sorts of macabre authors, including Algernon Blackwood? Free.

To be able to carry an entire library, literally, around with me wherever I go is beyond cool. I do miss the smell/feel of a paperback, but I still have plenty of those on my TBR list.

Update:

I’ve received my Kindle Touch and loaded a huge amount of stuff on it. I’m officially a fan.

The complete works of H.P. Lovecraft? I think it was a buck.

30 of the classics? Free.

Short stories from all sorts of macabre authors, including Algernon Blackwood? Free.

To be able to carry an entire library, literally, around with me wherever I go is beyond cool. I do miss the smell/feel of a paperback, but I still have plenty of those on my TBR list.

Congratz :) Hope you enjoy it :D

for eBooks

Hey,

As a writer I care about writer's rights as it were and overall I think the Readers are good, it means easier access to being published, lower costs etc. I also have a kindle and appreciate the space I have gained by not having tonnes of books everywhere lol

Thomas

Back