• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Real Crime

amanda_ecj

I am currently in a Criminology program in University and I am just wondernig if anyone has some suggestions for a really good book based on Real Crime.
When I say Real Crime it could be things like unsovled cases, anything about serial killers, etc.
So if you have any suggestions that would be great and maybe include a brief discription :)

Helter Skelter, by Vincent Bugliosi and In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote, are both must reads.

The first is about the Charles Manson murders and written by the prosecutor. The latter is really revolutionary and created the "true crime" genre. It's the re-telling of the murder of a small-town family. Capote was ruthless in his research and even befriended one of the killers.

Helter Skelter, by Vincent Bugliosi and In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote, are both must reads.

The first is about the Charles Manson murders and written by the prosecutor. The latter is really revolutionary and created the "true crime" genre. It's the re-telling of the murder of a small-town family. Capote was ruthless in his research and even befriended one of the killers.

I saw the movie,the book must be amazing also.

I didn't like Capote's book nor did I like the movie so I wouldn't consider it to be a must read.
I agree on Helter Skelter and might add that the Green River Killer might be a goob subject as well.
Gary Ridgwell confessed to be the killer of 48 women and up. It took the police 20 years until they could find him.

There are several good book about that. F. e. Green River, Running Read by Ann Rule.

You might also take a look into Ted Bundy or the Zodiac killer.

I didn't like Capote's book nor did I like the movie so I wouldn't consider it to be a must read.
I agree on Helter Skelter and might add that the Green River Killer might be a goob subject as well.
Gary Ridgwell confessed to be the killer of 48 women and up. It took the police 20 years until they could find him.

There are several good book about that. F. e. Green River, Running Read by Ann Rule.

You might also take a look into Ted Bundy or the Zodiac killer.

I would argue that In Cold Blood is still a must-read, whether you liked it or not. Without Truman Capote, the genre would never have been created. That fact alone makes it a book that should be read by anyone interested in true crime.

Without Truman Capote, the genre would never have been created. That fact alone makes it a book that should be read by anyone interested in true crime.
I absolutely disagree on that.
Just because someone "invented" something I don't have to read or use it.

Developing a genre is just that. Nothing more. There are a lot more true crime stories which are way better researched or detailed.
Plus the story itself is for todays criminal studies outdated.

Thanks for the recomendations guys :)
I recently started Every Move You Make by M. Wliiams Phelps
It got me interested in them.
Any more suggestions are welcome :)

Portrait of a Killer --Patricia Cornwell

Oh, I read this one quite a while ago. It is good and very interesting but needs to be read with further research as some of the techniques don't verify what P. C. claims: That W. Sickert was Jack The Ripper.

There are a few website which go further into details. It's interesting to learn how easy it is to be misdirected by someone with a sort of reputation in forensic science by letting out important details about DNA research.

This is probably too obvious - but have you read the books by John Douglas, like Mindhunter and Obsession?

I would argue that In Cold Blood is still a must-read, whether you liked it or not. Without Truman Capote, the genre would never have been created. That fact alone makes it a book that should be read by anyone interested in true crime.

I disagree. Its a pretty boring book, no matter what role it played in the history of the genre. Better to just leave it. Life is too short to read bad books.

Ive read gobs of criminology & serial killer books. Among the very best are Brian Masters Killing for Company about Dennis Nilsen & the Shrine of Jeffrey Dahmer about...well.

Back