• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Real Men Read; program to encourage literacy

SFG75

I read about this program in the Omaha paper. It is a national effort that started out in Chicago and is branching out to other major cities. The Real Men Read program is designed to have men read for about half in hour in schools. These "men"tors if you will, provide role model opportunities and show kids that reading is important. This program helps kids from disadvantaged backgrounds, and can help address the whole issue of "boys don't read" as well. I think this is a wonderful program.

I wonder who said reading is for boys?

Anyways,it depends on what books they are saying they are going to make them read.You give them a copy of Shakespeare,they're probably going to not read it. Give them a copy of Maximum Ride and they will probably love it.

I am also tired of the people who say reading does nothing. When I started reading,my grades skyrocketed(Except Math). Reading is for entertainment,nothing else.

I live in Omaha, and it's excellent to see this as a trend. Having men teach them, especially men who they can relate to, will also have a positive effect.

Can anyone think of other examples of this kind of program in other states?

Back