• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

reccomendation needed

amcartoon

I need a horror book that is nonstop, action-packed, edge of ur seat, can't sleep....... u get the idea. any reccomendations?

Ooooh....ooooh...pick me! A few of us enjoyed The Rising by Brian Keene. Very fast-paced Zombie horror. I enjoyed it because the Zombies were not your usual mindless automatons (I don't want to give anything away though). It's a quick read and the sequel City of the Dead was just released about a week ago!

And I wouldn't be myself if I didn't toss out a recommendation for F. Paul Wilson (The Keep or The Tomb) and Douglas Preston/Lincon Child (The Relic).

I second The Damnation Game by Barker, but I generally feel that way about any of his books. Also Cabinet of Curiosities by Preston & Childs I found hard to put down.

And I wouldn't be myself if I didn't toss out a recommendation for F. Paul Wilson (The Keep or The Tomb) and Douglas Preston/Lincon Child (The Relic).[/QUOTE]

F Paul Wilson - he's great!

It also depends on what scares you. If you're a parent, try John Saul as he's freaky on children. If end of the world stuff freaks you out, try Robert McCammon's Swan Song. Um, there's a vampire/werewolf thread here somewhere. You might try that. James Herbert...

There are many.

I don't know if this book is under the horror genre, but it is called The Taking by Dean Koontz. It has plenty of chilling moments.

Steph said:
I don't know if this book is under the horror genre, but it is called The Taking by Dean Koontz. It has plenty of chilling moments.
Yep, that's a chiller. I'd say that's Horror/Sci-Fi/Suspense all rolled into one. :eek:
I recommend The Stand by King, Desperation by King (if you like gorey details...this book's for you), I am Legend by Richard Matheson.

The title I Am Legend, by R.M. keeps popping up wherever I look. I guess I need to break down and buy that one.

Anything written early by Barker, King, or Koontz... Tess Gerretsen (sp?) is fast paced if you're into medical thrillers.

I'm not a big horror reader lately but will second Sirmyk's recommendations
and if you are into the occult there's that old timer Dennis Wheatley, and,
maybe a little tame but Anne Rice of course and her vampires. :eek:

first of all, don't bother with John Saul. It is really really horrible poorly written dreck, the bottom of the heap, really..it is really excruciating even to read..sort of like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer

Dean koontz has alright ideas, but the man cannot write. King is a great short story writer and a rambling novelist, he also has an annoying tendency to repeat himself..certain turns of phrase pop up over and over again from book to book. this is primarily a problem in his later work..The Shining is great...Clive barker is also a great short story writer, but tends to get lost in his novels....for example..the books of blood are great,but the great and secret show loses track of itself about halfway through..the kids book, thief of always is great, sort of bradbury-esque though, not sure if that is your thing

Thomas Ligotti is one of the best writers in the genre, ever, although he falls more under the 'weird tales" sort of classification..i.e sort of lovecraftian and dark, and more suspense than splatter..it is more of a tonal thing with him

of course Lovecraft, Poe , Hawthorn

http://www.booksxyz.com/profile.php?bid=1224974

Thomas Disch has written some horror that is not half bad, and he is a hell of a science fiction/short story writer.."fun with your new head" is really amazing, although it has a lot of science fiction

he wrote a pretty straight, king/koontz sort of thing called "M.D.' that was not too bad, sort of a modern updating of the Faust story, with a little bit of "godfather death' from grimms thrown in

for a really great, fast paced, insane horror story, check out Perfume

http://www.booksxyz.com/profile.php?bid=78708&x1=Y

I will not say more on this book except to reccomend you try it out. It is really insane.. i don't know what else to say

also, if you are into the sort of weird, serial killer dahmer thing, check out Zombie..it is pretty graphic and creepy, and of course just chock full of gore

http://www.booksxyz.com/profile.php?bid=330659&x1=Y

Back