• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recent Postmodern Literature...

I've been reading a lot of postmodern work lately, and I already have some classic postmodern books waiting for me to being soon enough. What I'm a big fan of is beautiful prose, that includes the complex as well, I don't care for books with sparse language (not even if it has a good concept). And I like the writing to be smart with much the author being well-versed in the subjects he or she writes about.

Since I have read numerous older postmodern classics and have researched enough to know more of them that are currently in my to-read file, I'm interested in recently published material. I like feeling like I'm in some sort of "current movement" reading materail from up-and-coming authors.

So thank you. :flowers:

Though not exactly a prose but rather a thought-based essay, you may want to read "Margin of Margins". It is written by Prof Ajit Choudhury (Prof in University of Calcutta) - it might ultimately prove to be a timeless piece in the longer run. The book might be a bit hard to get, but it may be worth the effort. And it also encompasses the Indian epic Ramayana with post-modernism as seen from the point of view of a Global Bengali. A must-read of someone who is looking for what you are.

I'll be researching that right now, thanks.

:eek:

I can't seem to find anything on it at all... would you mind directing me somewhere? Hehe, thanks.

You have to check out Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. The themes are drenched in post-modernism but it is extremely readable and probably one of the best books I've ever read (and that's saying a lot with 6 years of literature courses behind me!).

And it also encompasses the Indian epic Ramayana with post-modernism as seen from the point of view of a Global Bengali. A must-read of someone who is looking for what you are.

Now that I've read this, I think you should check out the Ramayana as well. Narayan's translation is amazing, I read it a few years back in an Indian lit course and it really stays with you. Also, if you're in for a heafty novel, Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie is another great post-modern text.

Thanks! The book looks very interesting, and I like how Mitchell writes. Reviews of the book look really nice, too.

As for Salmon Rushdie, I've read that and yes it is quite good, but to digress, I have to say that his most-recent material hasn't been very enthralling. It's sad, too, because he's a great wrtier.

To be honest, that is the only thing I've read by Rushdie so I can't really speak for his more recent writings. Cloud Atlas is an absolute must read though.

How recent are we talking? I'd throw Umberto Eco and Calvino your way straight way.

Sometimes it's not so much a case as recent as spreading wings a bit further. Have you head, for instance, of Milorad Pavic? More modern, you may want to give Georgi Gospodinov's Natural Novel a try.

I noticed most of those authors have books translated from different languages. While I'm keeping note of the authors, which I will definitely read, sometimes I fear that some eloquence is lost when litereature is translated, but that's kind of naive because I know for certain some books have been translated exceptionally, holding the good writing that was achieved in the original language. I guess I'll find out when I get the chance to read from these authors.

It doesn't appear that Italo Calvino's work is translated, but the format he uses is especially unique... I was only looking at Invisible Cities. And then I started reading an excerpt from If On A Winter's Night a Traveler, and it was hilarious right from the beginning with the metafiction. At first, it almost sounded like an introduction, but it said "Chapter One" on top... :lol: and the repitition of "The Books You..." was great. His work already looks to be very good after only a short read from several of his books.

Thanks, I probably would have overlooked these authors without the recommendation.

...sometimes I fear that some eloquence is lost when litereature is translated, but that's kind of naive because I know for certain some books have been translated exceptionally, holding the good writing that was achieved in the original language.
Undoubtedly. Umberto Eco goes calls translation "a negotiation", being that you can't translated literally because things get lost, such as the Italian to English titular Mouse Or Rat? on his non-fiction about translation. But, with a translation, most of the time it's the only way we can read these works and it's better not to deprive ourselves. A good translation can take the ideas of the original and translated them to the destination language, with the translator working more to capture the style of the author. As Eco notes, apropos Foucault's Pendulum, there's a passage that features a line from a famous - in Italy - poem which would mean nothing to English spearkers, so the context gets changed and the poem becomes a famous English one; by Keats, I think.

It doesn't appear that Italo Calvino's work is translated, but the format he uses is especially unique...
I don't quite understand you there.

And then I started reading an excerpt from If On A Winter's Night a Traveler, and it was hilarious right from the beginning with the metafiction. At first, it almost sounded like an introduction, but it said "Chapter One" on top... :lol: and the repitition of "The Books You..." was great. His work already looks to be very good after only a short read from several of his books.
If On A Winter's Night A Traveler is a fantastic novel and, having been translated by William Weaver, is a mark of quality. Weaver gives an idea of his translation process here.

I suppose you could consider Mark Z. Danielewski's House Of Leaves, to return to the English language. Stories on top of story on top of story, is-it-real-or-is-it-not, pretty much all on the same page, with some typographical trickery too.

Undoubtedly. Umberto Eco goes calls translation "a negotiation", being that you can't translated literally because things get lost, such as the Italian to English titular Mouse Or Rat? on his non-fiction about translation. But, with a translation, most of the time it's the only way we can read these works and it's better not to deprive ourselves. A good translation can take the ideas of the original and translated them to the destination language, with the translator working more to capture the style of the author. As Eco notes, apropos Foucault's Pendulum, there's a passage that features a line from a famous - in Italy - poem which would mean nothing to English spearkers, so the context gets changed and the poem becomes a famous English one; by Keats, I think.

I don't quite understand you there.

I must have been mistaken, on the Amazon excerpts and book profiles, it didn't say that the works were translated. Knowing that they were, it's good to see that there's still a very distinct style.

If On A Winter's Night A Traveler is a fantastic novel and, having been translated by William Weaver, is a mark of quality. Weaver gives an idea of his translation process.

I suppose you could consider Mark Z. Danielewski's House Of Leaves, to return to the English language. Stories on top of story on top of story, is-it-real-or-is-it-not, pretty much all on the same page, with some typographical trickery too.

The House of Leaves was a great read and the enormous amount of annotations was overwhelming and for some reason refreshing.
And thanks for the corresponding thoughts of translated work. I agree, it's better to at least have read a variation of great work than not read it at all.

If On A Winter's Night A Traveler is a fantastic novel and, having been translated by William Weaver, is a mark of quality. Weaver gives an idea of his translation process
Which reminds me, I really love Invisible Cities also. Also by Italo Calvino.

Back