• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

I finished "Metro 2033" by Dimitry Glukhovsky last week. Is there anyone who has read it, too? For I wonder what others think about the end. I had a discussion about it with a friend who interpreted it totally different than I did...

Forests of the Heart by Charles De Lint :star1:

Same boring characters, same tired old plot. The only books I have enjoyed by him are his older ones that are not set in Newford.

The Burning Land - Bernard Cornwell
:star4:

War, treachery, intrigue and more war in the time period of the formation of England. Cornwell does this stuff wonderfully.

Finally finished my first book in a long time:

Tropical Heat - John Miller

An average who-dunnit but maybe it will get me back onto the reading track.

I just finished a fictionalized autobiography of Coetzee and loved it. "Boyhood" is an emotional believable description of his youth in South Africa 4/5

The Vicomte de Bragelonne, by Alexandre Dumas :star2:
This would be my least favorite in the Musketeers series that I have read so far. I merely lack one more installment though so it could change with the completion of the last book necessary for my set.

A Pale Horse by Charles Todd :star2:

Needed more clarity, even though it has the makings of a good detective story. I'm not sure if there were too many suspects, or they were too much alike, or if the author themselves became confused.

The Boy with the Cuckoo-Clock Heart, by Mathias Malzieu :star5:

It's a fairy tale for grownups that reminded me a lot of Tim Burton's style. I loved it.

American Taliban by Pearl Graham.

The story of an affluent American high-schooler who puts off college in a quest to "find himself" or "find meaning in life" or find out what he "wants to do" or continue an "endless summer" or find the "perfect wave." He's a surfer having a ball on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, who doesn't want an arduous money-making career like his father the successful surgeon has, who also wants to get away from the continual nagging of his doting and adoring mother, so call it what you stereotypically will. He begins innocently enough, learning classical Arabic (in the days before Muslim terrorism reached the United States) and passes successively through more serious levels of study, first in madras in the United States and then in a year abroad immersed in the culture in Pakistan. Eventually his seriousness of purpose is recognized and he is steered toward a recruiter for the Taliban. 9-11 occurs and this innocent and well-meaning peaceful lad is suddenly on the wrong side of the fence. What willl happen? Remember the headlines and what did happen.
Two stars, for simple and shallow plotting and writing.

The Brother's Karamazov by Fyodor Doestevsky :star4:

I will give my thoughts later, when and if I have more time. :)

Back