• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

Just finished The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, aged `13 and three quaters.This is set to be a classic along with such books as The Catcher in the Rye. I have read it about 3 times now. Very funny book.

Trader by Charles De Lint :star3:

Mr. De Lint tells a good story, but something about his characters always frustrates me. He seems to try to make them real, three-dimensional, with interior struggles, but he always falls short. His evil characters never have any redeeming qualities, and his good characters are always too sugary sweet and their weaknesses are cliche.

I think I would enjoy him more if he stopped trying to make realistic people, and just concentrated on telling the story.

Arto Paasilinna- la douce empoisonneuse :star3:
Not as good as the year of the hare, if i read this first, i would not have bothered with more Paasilinna

Dean Kootz-Breathless :star1:
Quite bad, the only thing he does well is describing psycho killers, but let in loose, like here, on the theory of evolution and pucking is what comes to mind.

2666 by Roberto Bolano. In five very loosley connected parts, begging for interpretation in terms of overall plot or theme.

Just finished Reginald Hill's The Roar of the Butterflies. A humorous PI story. Enjoyed it but not up to his usual Dalziel and Pasco thrillers.

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire :star5:

First book to finish in the new year, and it was an excellent read with interesting characters, themes that make you think, and a surprise ending.

The Grave Tattoo by Val McDermid
A good story with reasonable characters but not to her usual standard. The nurders coming very late in the book and with no real understanding of the criminal mind that attracts me to her writing. stars3:

Never Stand Alone by Janet Macleod Trotter.

Set before and during the U.K 1984 Miner's Strike,quite a powerful 'biopic' on how the strike both divided and united families and communities,and it conjured up vivid memories of '84 for me personally cos I was living in one of the County Durham pit villages,Horden,way back when.

La fille qui rêvait d'un bidon d'essence et d'une allumette - The Girl Who Played with Fire. I got this book last year (2008) for my B-day along with the 3rd one in the series, La reine dans le palais des courants d'air - The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, and even though had I read the first book pretty much in one sitting, I didn't get around to starting this one until last Friday. The first part of the book is kind of slow and I had a bit of a problem with the translation. I don't know how to explain it but the text felt "too French" for the story. Once I got used to that, though, I couldn't put it down. I'm reading book 3 now, but I'm gonna try to make it last a bit longer. It's sad that someone so talented only got to write 3 books while other people go on inflicting their italic-filled crap on the general public...

Let The Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist :star4:

And I found it soooooo much better than the movie! No surprises there though.

Just finished, Dangerous by Moonlight. by Leslie Thomas. Another Dangerous,the Last Detective novel. Love these.Very humourous.
Trouble is, I don't think he wrote more than four of them.

The Door to December by Dean Koontz :star2:
There is no suspense when I had the plot figured out by page 50.
Koontz has written much better than this.

Just finishing Bram Stoker's "Dracula".Written when the auther was in Whitby. Manky years since I have read this. Great Gothic horror book. Not at all superstitious myself, and have no belief in supernatural things. But find this to be a fine piece of fantacy.

Back