• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

PARASITE:
About a third of the way into this novel, I became aware of the dreaded words on page 502, “To be continued…” Mira Grant, are you kidding me? I don’t like reading trilogies unless all three books are available to read now. By the time the next novel comes out, I will have forgotten this one. I know that I can go to Wikipedia for a recap, but most of the time I’ve already lost interest. Oh well, I should have been aware of her tendencies with the previously published, The Newsflesh Trilogy. Okay, enough said. The first novel is a success, but it makes the reader wonder if these ‘tapewormed- sleepwalkers’ are going to morph into ordinary zombies. Mira, don’t do it, because what you have here is a fresh idea that should only get better in book two and three. I, for one, am tired of zombie novels. Keep your thoughts on what you started and develop it further. Your last chapter was dynamite waiting to ignite. I thought that was where the story was heading, but I wasn’t sure. The future readers will know what I’m talking about after they get to the end of this intoxicating work. ;) :star5: ricksreviews.blogspot.com

:star3:DEAD ENERGY:
This novel is satisfactory at best. Mr. Corkill displays raw talent, but is still in Double A ball. I can see that he is trying to create a character similar to Clive Cussler’s Dirk Pitt, but it’s a ‘no cigar’ comparison. I had a hard time believing in Alex Cave’s credentials. What man could be an ex-CIA agent, a college professor, an advisor to the Director of the National Security Agency, and have the ear of the President of the United States at the age of twenty four. Mr. Corkhill, you must age this man quickly. I know the age wasn’t a typo, because you wrote on page 75, “The President stared at Alex while he listened to the suggestions tossed around the table. He found it odd that this young professor…” While I know Dirk Pitt stories are fast paced, this one is on double-time and a little herky-jerky. Sometimes an author has too many subplots and sidebars. Well, this is one. My suggestion for Mr. Corkhill is to slow done. You have the expertise. Let the story breath at it’s own pace and mature naturally. Lastly, If you want Alex to be a man’s man, don’t let him act cowardly like you did when Alex was in the AOS camp. I know he was faking, but Dirk Pitt would rather die then act less a man. Okay, enough said about that. o_O :star3: ricksreviews.blogspot.com

A GORDIAN WEB:
I was pleasantly surprised with Guy Butler’s second novel of a proposed trilogy. While it didn’t have the suspense of Ken Follett’s Eye of the Needle (1978), or the drama of Alistair Maclean’s The Guns of Navarone (1957), it did have it’s moments. I didn’t read the first novel, but I found that I didn’t need to, because this invigorating novel can be read as a stand-alone. I am reminded of the various series written by Bernard Cornwell, whose books can also be read separately or out of order. Lastly, I detected the undertone of the alternate history guru, Harry Turtledove, author of The Man with the Iron Heart. Whoa! I’m not saying Guy Butler is in the class of the above mentioned authors. I am saying that he is on the right track to have a successful career as a writer. I did find some faults with this book, such as, Mr. Butler naming the novel’s elite British group: Special Air Services (SAS on page 30), and Strategic Air Services (SAS on page 200). Which one is correct? Also, I find that there are way too many described characters to remember. A sergeant is a sergeant, a officer is an officer, no need to describe them all. I’m still a student of ten or less main characters (Cormac McCarthy’s theory?). I also thought that some of the harrowing events behind enemy lines could have been less predictable and more drawn out for a high anxiety affect. 4 out of 5 stars. ;)
ricksreviews.blogspot.com

I just finished Donna Tartt's new book "The Goldfinch" I loved it. Near the end of the book she talks about people's need to acquire things - to collect, then she talks about art - magic - pure magic!Donna Tartt The Goldfinch.jpg

ABOMINABLE:
It seems to me that the latest novel by Dan Simmons is receiving unjustified criticism. If you have read 'The Terror', 'Drood', or 'Black Hills', you will realize that this is how he writes. Yes, his older novels contained more horror and fantasy, but I think he has moved on to another genre. His latest novels are a mixture of historical fiction and alternate history with a dash of “thriller”. This has to be one of his most clever novels. The twenty two page introduction of Jacob Perry’s meeting with Dan Simmons was awesome. Since the novel had a medley of real climbers, like George Mallory, A.C. Irvine, and Felix Norton, it wasn’t hard to believe that Perry was also genuine. Also impressive was how Simmons was able to keep the 663 page novel down to five main characters, thus giving the reader plenty of time to develop a rapport with the group. On page 247, we meet two fictional Sherpas (Ethnic name for the mountainous people of Nepal) Tenzing Bothia and Tejbir Norgay. They are minor characters at best, and I only bring it up to illustrate Simmons’s probable extensive research for this novel. Mount Everest’s summit was finally reached on 5/29/1953 by Edmund Hilary and his Sherpa (you guessed it) Tenzing Norgay. I noticed that the novel was thoroughly peppered with creative tidbits of information by the author. Well done. :star5: :) ricksreviews.blogspot.com

I just finished The Interestings. Very good novel. It follows a group of friends who meet at a summer camp for the arts in high school and follows them through their lives - the good and the bad. A revelation on what folks expect their life will be like and the reality of life.

The first phone call from heaven:
This is the story of a town’s somewhat cavalier attitude towards the possible presence of heaven. When confronting the possibility of heaven existing versus not existing, the idiom... it’s better to be safe than sorry... comes into play. The town of Coldwater, Michigan (not the real one, says Mitch Albom on page 324) not only falls hook, line, and sinker in this belief, but also drags the rest of the world into the fray. Mitch Albom has written a delightful tale that could be made into a movie as the drama that it is, or even as a comedy. I prefer it as a drama. Also woven into this novel is anecdotal evidence how Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone. It seems to me that this ex-sports columnist is now an inspirational writer. This is another book involving heaven after previously publishing, 'The Five People You Meet in Heaven' , and the enriching, 'Have a Little Faith' . The style and flow of Mitch’s writing coupled with his exciting chapter endings causes the reader to blow through a hundred pages without realizing it. ;) :star5:
ricksreviews.blogspot.com

Future Lovecraft edited by Silvia Moreno-Garcia and Paula R. Stiles.

A most enjoyable collection from fan fiction to inspired fiction, the Old Ones live on.

The Giver by Lois Lowry :star5:

A thought provoking and extremely interesting novel. The story ends abruptly and I kind of wished it were longer but nevertheless, the ending was satisfying. If you're looking for a quick and easy read, I recommend it.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting that it would be better if we add a summary and a link to the book?

Yes. I have had the thought for a long time, and think it every time I read this thread LOL it just takes me a long time to get around to saying things sometimes.

What use is it to any one else to just say 'I read this' without giving a bit more information especially given how um disinclined people are to Google stuff for themselves? It might make all the difference into the thread into something that generates more interest in others also reading something that catches their eye.

The Giver by Lois Lowry :star5:

A thought provoking and extremely interesting novel. The story ends abruptly and I kind of wished it were longer but nevertheless, the ending was satisfying. If you're looking for a quick and easy read, I recommend it.
Hi, Millicent! I enjoyed Giver as well. It was probably my first dystopian read and definitely thought provoking.

I thought you'd want to know that it actually is part of a 3 book trio - and there is a 4th companion book that came out in 2012! http://www.amazon.com/Giver-Quartet-20th-Anniversary-boxed/dp/0544112008/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393708041&sr=1-2&keywords=the giver series

I haven't yet read Son, but you should probably know going in, that the stories may not make complete sense and there is an unexpected element of mysticism thrown, but the companion books do fill in some of the gaps and I found them interesting to read. The lack of explanation to some things is kind of nice in that it gives the reader a lot to contemplate.

Happy reading! :)

I like the idea of sharing a short summary of what the book's about and maybe including a link. I think a short summary in the reader's own words would be great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Millicent! I enjoyed Giver as well. It was probably my first dystopian read and definitely thought provoking.

I thought you'd want to know that it actually is part of a 3 book trio - and there is a 4th companion book that came out in 2012! http://www.amazon.com/Giver-Quartet-20th-Anniversary-boxed/dp/0544112008/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393708041&sr=1-2&keywords=the giver series

I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. If I'm not mistaken, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that the author didn't meant for it to be a series but rather as a stand alone novel when she first wrote it, it's only after the huge success that she decided to write the companion books. I'm not sure I'll read the companion books, at least not anytime soon.

That being said, I just found out that there will be a film adaptation of this book, with Jeff Bridges and Meryl Streep starring in it. According to Bridges, it won't be an exact duplication of the book and he added that Lois Lowry worked with the film crew and didn't mind that the facts in her book won't be the exact same in the film version.

Back