• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. I got it off the NZ version of eBay, so it was cheap :D

Also Palindrome Hannah by our very own Micheal Bailey. Very excited about this one.

nighthawk said:
Under the Tuscan Sun - Frances May
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke

I had to buy 'Under the Tuscan Sun' after seeing the movie
but I've heard the book differs quite a lot. Be interesting to see which is the better version.

Nighthawk, if you enjoy Tuscan Sun, you MUST pick up Bella Tuscany, which is the sequel. The books are very different from the movies, I would almost consider the movie a fiction based on the books. Of the two however, I found Bella Tuscany to be much more languid and rich.

So I went to a discount book outlet store today and bought
"The Only Good Thing Anyone Has Ever Done" by Sandra Newman
"Rare Birds" by Edward Riche.

I've never heard of either of them, but they caught my eye and were both 4-5 bucks. Gotta love that!

Went to the library to order Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man cause I figured by the time I was ready for it they would have it in. There was already one there on the shelf. Think I may do this after I finish The Pillars of the Earth instead of going right into East of Eden so I don't have to extend my loan of the Joyce.

EEEeeeeep. So I had 45 bucks in gift certs and I bought The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon and Crow Lake by Mary Lawson

I went to the bookstore and did a good amount of damage..

Lolita: Vladimir Nabokov
The Girls He Adored : Jonathan Nasaw
The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal: Christopher Moore
The Picture of Dorian Gray: Oscar Wilde
The Shadow of The Wind: Carlos Ruiz Zafon
I, Lucifer: Glen Duncan
The Way the Crow Flies: Ann-Marie MacDonald
Garbage Land: Elicabeth Royte
Geisha, A Life: Mineko Iwasaki

There were two other I wanted that I will have to special order. Those are "A Thousand and One Nights" and "Sky Burial"

When I get my student loan I have a few fantasy books that have caught my eye, so I am looking foward to that! Recently I bought The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins for £1 and also Lady Chatterley's Lover by DH Lawrence for 75p. Bargin! :D

On Writing by Stephen King. Hardcover was reduced to $3.99 at Chapters/Indigo/Coles. Ended up being $3.89 after taxes and iRewards discount.

Prairie_Girl said:
... if you enjoy Tuscan Sun, you MUST pick up Bella Tuscany, which is the sequel. The books are very different from the movies, I would almost consider the movie a fiction based on the books. Of the two however, I found Bella Tuscany to be much more languid and rich.

I'll keep an eye out for Bella Tuscany. I very much enjoyed Under the Tuscan Sun (the book), but stopped the movie half way through. I thought it was dreadful!

:rolleyes:

ions said:
On Writing by Stephen King.

Let us know how you liked it. It's had mixed reviews here.

I enjoyed it. I thought it was funny and informative. Everything you ever wanted to know about Stephen King. And writing, pretty much.

The White Company - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Tales Of Brigadier Gerard - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Under The Skin - Michel Faber

Scottishduffy said:
I went to the bookstore and did a good amount of damage..

Lolita: Vladimir Nabokov
The Girls He Adored : Jonathan Nasaw
The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal: Christopher Moore
The Picture of Dorian Gray: Oscar Wilde
The Shadow of The Wind: Carlos Ruiz Zafon
I, Lucifer: Glen Duncan
The Way the Crow Flies: Ann-Marie MacDonald
Garbage Land: Elicabeth Royte
Geisha, A Life: Mineko Iwasaki

There were two other I wanted that I will have to special order. Those are "A Thousand and One Nights" and "Sky Burial"

Duffy, please do PM me when you finished the Ann-Marie MacDonald, I would love dearly to discuss it with someone!

StillILearn said:
I'll keep an eye out for Bella Tuscany. I very much enjoyed Under the Tuscan Sun (the book), but stopped the movie half way through. I thought it was dreadful!

:rolleyes:

the movie was, quite simply a dreadful excuse for a movie made from a book. The movie itself I thought was quite lovely, however seeing it for the 2nd time, after having read the books, I was supremely annoyed. Though Diane Lane being the most beautiful woman on earth definately helped to redeem it.

I found Bella Tuscany to be a better written, more fluid and more sensual book.

StillILearn said:
Let us know how you liked it. It's had mixed reviews here.

I enjoyed it. I thought it was funny and informative. Everything you ever wanted to know about Stephen King. And writing, pretty much.

I read a borrowed copy a couple years ago and I've been looking to pick up a cheap copy of my own ever since. I think it's a great book. It's quite funny and although I have no experience to say whether his advice regarding writing works or not it came across as sincere and quite plausible. The autobiographical parts of the book were interesting and helped me see how Stepen became the writer he has. I completely recommend this to anyone interested in writing, the art of writing or in Stephen King himself.

Prairie_Girl said:
Duffy, please do PM me when you finished the Ann-Marie MacDonald, I would love dearly to discuss it with someone!

I'll make sure to PM you, but it may be a while. I now have a stack of 12 books next to my bed....

I stopped by a new used book store and bought, the Poisonwood Bible by Barabara Kingsolver, the Key to Rebecca by Ken Follett, Corelli's Mandolin by Louis De Bernieres, $2 per, not bad and a collection of Best Loved Poems for .50.

My very nice MIL bought me my own copy of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell :)

Back