• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

MonkeyCatcher said:
I went out yesterday and purchased:

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

He has just released the illustrated version as well. Saw it in WHSmith, and it looked fantastic. Expensive though, but I'm hoping the price will drop.

It's an awesome book - you'll learn a lot, and as always, Bill Bryson is very humerous. :D

Fannie Flagg

venusunfolding said:
I love both of these books. Anything that Fannie Flagg writes is just wonderful. I love her combination of eclectic characters and Souther Settings.

I agree. " Daisy Fay and the miracle man" is most certainly the funniest book I've ever read. Her latest "standing in the rainbow" was not as funny, but very moving. You cannot help loving her characters as if they were friends ot family members.

angerball said:
He has just released the illustrated version as well. Saw it in WHSmith, and it looked fantastic. Expensive though, but I'm hoping the price will drop.

:D I just went out this afternoon and saw it for half price, so I picked one up for myself. :D Thank goodness for January sales! :D

I got The Memory of Running (i think thats the name) brand new for 50 cents at a yard sale. Pretty neat, except my boyfriend is "borrowing" it.:mad: lol.

I also just got Intensity by Koontz and Rainbow Six by Clancy, hope to start one of them soon though its doubtful.:(

Spurr of the moment kinda thing, didn't wanna go home so I went to the bookstore :D .

Jazz-Toni Morrison
Tokyo Sucker Punch-Isaac Adamson
In the Beauty of the Lilies-John Updike (my first Updike! OOooOoOooO)

Tamsine said:
I agree. " Daisy Fay and the miracle man" is most certainly the funniest book I've ever read. Her latest "standing in the rainbow" was not as funny, but very moving. You cannot help loving her characters as if they were friends ot family members.

her latest Red Bird Christmas has apparently been bought and is going to made into a movie (according to her official website)

I recieved The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood in the mail today as part of a bookring. I really look forward to reading this one. I love Atwood's work and Greek Myths, so it's a great combination

MonkeyCatcher said:
I recieved The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood in the mail today as part of a bookring. I really look forward to reading this one. I love Atwood's work and Greek Myths, so it's a great combination

You are one voracious reader, MonkeyCatcher. :)

MonkeyCatcher said:

that was one of the best books that I read last year. I LOVED it.

StillILearn said:
You are one voracious reader, MonkeyCatcher. :)
Why thank you, Still :p

venusunfolding said:
]that was one of the best books that I read last year. I LOVED it.
I have exactly the same feelings - I'm about 30 pages from the end and I absolutely /adore/ it. Atwood is certifiably one of my favourite authors now - I especially like her really short chapters. It keeps things interesting.

It really is a great book, I highly recommend it!

I went to Borders and the Salvation Army today....:D :D :D

Lies-Al Franken
Johnny Got His Gun-Dalton Trumbo
Watership Down-Richard Adams
SeinLanguage-Jerry Seinfeld

...I.....can't.......fight......th.....th.....the....disease!! ;)

More.....books....need...more...books!!:p

CattiGuen said:
I went to Borders and the Salvation Army today....:D :D :D

Lies-Al Franken
Johnny Got His Gun-Dalton Trumbo
Watership Down-Richard Adams
SeinLanguage-Jerry Seinfeld

...I.....can't.......fight......th.....th.....the....disease!! ;)

More.....books....need...more...books!!:p

argh... u are so right.. it's so weird... books are really addictive! once i start, i can't stop. within a month, i bought one bookshelf of books. it doesn't help that sometimes rare books just pop up and it just feels so wrong not to grab them...

Next, i'm buying:
The Third Policeman by Flann O'brien,
Wild Sheep Chase by Murakami,
The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass,
In Cold Blood by Capote,
Satanic verses by Rushdie (most likely buying this online because it's banned in Singapore, according to the guy in my neighbourhood bookshop)

Ok, my mom's gonna kill me for buying so many books...

musiqueperson said:
argh... u are so right.. it's so weird... books are really addictive! once i start, i can't stop. within a month, i bought one bookshelf of books. it doesn't help that sometimes rare books just pop up and it just feels so wrong not to grab them...

Next, i'm buying:
The Third Policeman by Flann O'brien,
Wild Sheep Chase by Murakami,
The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass,
In Cold Blood by Capote,
Satanic verses by Rushdie (most likely buying this online because it's banned in Singapore, according to the guy in my neighbourhood bookshop)

Ok, my mom's gonna kill me for buying so many books...

Speaking as a mom..your purchases are hurting no one..you aren't buying drugs, weapons, or bomb ingredients, so that's worth a lot! If she complains about the excess clutter caused by your books, just tell her you wanted to increase the R-value in your part of the house and books are much more interesting than ordinary insulation material. Besides, you're educating yourself in the most cost effecient way imaginable;)

BTW-if you ARE buying drugs, weapons, or bomb ingredients..now might not be a good time to tell your mom:D

Just received, courtesy of the Queen's efficient delivery service, the Booker Prize 2005 shortlist, consisting of:
The Sea by John Banville
Arthur & George by Julian Barnes
On Beauty by Zadie Smith
The Accidental by Ali Smith
A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Today I recieved Lucky by Alice Sebold as part of a Book Crossing bookring. It looks interesting, so I think I'll start it straight away.

steffee said:
Just received, courtesy of the Queen's efficient delivery service, the Booker Prize 2005 shortlist, consisting of:
The Sea by John Banville
Arthur & George by Julian Barnes
On Beauty by Zadie Smith
The Accidental by Ali Smith
A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
OoOo.. what a great load of books!

Back