• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

The Time Travel Broach of Vallantyne

:) I'm currently reading "The Time Travel Broach of Vallantyne"
This book is so good that I wouldn't be surprised if it was made into a movie! You get so wrapped up in the characters and you feel like you are there with them. It's romantic and funny, laugh out loud. I found it on Lulu.com and I don't think it's really out yet, so I'm one of the first to get my hands on it.

I went into the bookstore today to pick up the copy of Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Chrisopher Moore that I ordered. I can't wait to start this one :D

Just bought today: Against The Tide by John Ringo
His Majestys Dragon by Naomi Novik
Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson.:D

I recently purchased A Man Rides Through ,volume two of Stephen Donaldson's Mordant's Need series, from a charity shop (I have only to find book 1 and I can start reading another Donaldson saga)

Anyway, a bit off topic, but In the charity shop I saw the most horrible thing; someone had donated the Riftwar series with an extra copy of Silverthorn! I know it was for charity but who could commit such an atrocity!?!? :eek: :) (my local charity shops never have any Fiest Books, and many of them seem to have a moral objection to fantasy, this particular shop being one of them)

Anyways, I dutifuly arranged them in order at the end of the shelf and left.

Guns, Germs, and Steel trade paperback by Jared Diamond.

Flirting with non-fiction for a change. Make me smarterer.

Borders prospers. I just bought:

Red Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
The Years of Salt and Rice - Kim Stanley Robinson
and
The Beekeepers Apprentice - by Laurie R. King, "the novel of suspense that introduced Mary Russell (a smart-mouthed, half-American /gasp/ fifteen-year-old feminist sidekick) and Sherlock Holmes."

I decided it was time to catch up on some sadly neglected relaxation.
Peder

Peder You will love The Beekeepers Apprentice! Um, I hate to bring it up, (yeah right!) but its a series.......:eek: A very good series I might add. Although I must say the last two have not been as much to my liking as the first 3 or 4. :rolleyes:

pontalba said:
Peder You will love The Beekeepers Apprentice! Um, I hate to bring it up, (yeah right!) but its a series.......:eek: A very good series I might add.
Yes, Pontalba,
That's exactly what I was a little bit afraid of. :rolleyes:
But it was so much fun to buy. :eek:
Peder :)

Peder said:
Yes, Pontalba,
That's exactly what I was a little bit afraid of. :rolleyes:
But it was so much fun to buy. :eek:
Peder :)

I loved the Mary Russell series too. I thought Locked Rooms was great, but I have a friend who prefers her other books -- the ones that are not the Holmes/Russell ones. (One of those was way too scary for me.)

I just went a little nuts and sprang for a copy of Arthur & George by Julian Barnes -- on CD. (It cost me an Arm & and a Leg, so it better be good.)

StillILearn said:
I loved the Mary Russell series too. I thought Locked Rooms was great, but I have a friend who prefers her other books -- the ones that are not the Holmes/Russell ones. (One of those was way too scary for me.)

I just went a little nuts and sprang for a copy of Arthur & George by Julian Barnes -- on CD. (It cost me an Arm & and a Leg, so it better be good.)
Stil,
I seem to have accidentally hit a gold mine here and am very glad for all the suggestions.
I'll keep y'all posted as I proceed, but for the moment it is Gabaldon's Outlander, which I can say I am really enjoying.
Many thanks, :)
Peder

recently bought

The Secret Supper: Javier Sierra, Blindness: Jose Saramago, The World According to Garp: John Irving, Lives of the Monster Dogs: Kristin Bakis (re-purchase since you all know what happens when you lend out a book:mad: :mad: :mad: )

I wonder how much money I spend on books every year? Not complaining just wondering...

drmjwdvm said:
I wonder how much money I spend on books every year? Not complaining just wondering...

Peder and pontalba both spend a shocking amount, so you don't need to feel like the Lone Ranger here.

drmjwdvm said:
Sometimes its better not to keep too close track of these things. :eek: :p

Besides I have a book fairy, and said book fairy has been wonderful.:D
contributed to my cause Rivals of Sherlock Holmes (Forty Stories of Crime and Detection from Original Illustrated Magazines) selected and introduced by Alan K. Russell -- Hardback in great condition.

btw.....
I hit the second hand book store the other day, without too much damage. Only bought two. They are:
Hercule Poirot's Casebook Christie a lovely hardback in excellent condition.
the Best American Mystery Stories (2003) Michael Connelly, editor trade paperback.

StillILearn said:

I haven't gotten around to reading Locked Rooms as of yet, its in the TBR stack, and so is another one, but I can't remember the name. I have not attempted to read Laurie King's other series, the synopsis on the back creeped me out, so I left it alone.
I looked at Arthur & George and was tempted, but stayed on the fence, and there is way too much on this side of the fence anyway, so I've left it for now. :eek: but you could let me know how you like it...:D
But I do have semi plans to go to another second hand book store next week, and the thrid weekend is coming up fast....thats the Friends of the Library Sale. :eek:

It was difficult passing up the Laurie King/Mary Russell books, but I did read all the blurbs and it sounds like there are more purchases to come. Many more!

Instead, I indulged my curiosity for Islam:
Orientalism - Edward Said, sparked by the thread here.
The Arabs in History - Bernard Lewis, just because and partly the author.

Two more are being held for me and will appear here sooner than one might think. :)
Peder

Back