• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

I picked up A Tale of Two Cities Last night. My most favorite Classic. Always good to have around in the house.

The Orchid Thief by Susan Orlean, Cloudsplitter by Russell Banks and First We Have Coffee by Margaret Jensen.

:cool: The other day I corresponded with my cousin that lives far away from us, for cousins that have lived apart all their lives, we are eerily alike. Anyhow, she said she was reading Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse. So I sent for it and received it yesterday, and know I will throughly enjoy it, and look forward to more Woolf.

Just received in the mail today:
Before the Frost
Sidetracked
The White Lioness
all by Henning Mankell

Ever since reading The Fifth Woman, I'm hooked on Kurt Wallander mysteries.

Neat covers AquaBlue! :)

Back to Grade School Late at Night

I am a DVM and last night I was on the overnight shift. It was slow so I was catching up on the m. boards and started looking at posts about children's books and "The first bok you ever read" Before I knew it I was ordering used hardcovers of The Dark is Rising Series and another favorite when I was in grade school A Legend of Wolf Song. I feel like a kid waiting for Santa to arrive in the big brown UPS truck. Who knows if I'll actually read them or just put them on the shelf for gazing at fondly.:D :D :D

Books I've Bought

Well it's been a while because this book I'm reading now is 900 pages and is very time consuming. But I have recently bought Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. I'm very excited to start that one. Then I'll probably go on to the Da Vinci Code or the next book by Phillipa Boyens.

Have picked up two more for my Islamic reading stack:

Islam - Religion, History, Civilization by Seyyed Hossein Nasr, recommended by Gem, and

Jihad - The Trail of Political Islam by Gilles Kepel, just because it was there and seemed comprehensive and up-to-date.

So the backlog of books being held for me at Borders started out at three, and by the time I was done it was back up to three again. But at least I didn't fall further behind. :(
Peder

Todays purchase reminded me to list one that I had bought during my absence that I had forgotten to post here. The Odyssey by Homer translated by Robert Fagles. Today I bought Ulysses by James Joyce Everyman hardcover.

I stopped by the used book shop again today and picked up The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, The Beach by Alex Garland, Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie Macdonald, The Gardens of Kyoto by Kate Walbert and The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier. When I got home I realized I have absolutely no place to put them as all my shelfs are crammed full and I'm out of big baskets to add to.

Ronny said:
I stopped by the used book shop again today and picked up The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, The Beach by Alex Garland, Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie Macdonald, The Gardens of Kyoto by Kate Walbert and The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier. When I got home I realized I have absolutely no place to put them as all my shelfs are crammed full and I'm out of big baskets to add to.

Oh goodness me! What a revoltin' development this is! /quoting/ The Life of Reilly, in case anyone else here is old enough to remember That! LOL Sounds like you are doing a good job Ronny! Keep up the Good Work!
:cool:

Opened my mailbox yesterday and lo and behold 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' were patiently awaiting my pleasure. Now all I need are a couple more bookshelves. Mine are beginning to look a little bogged down - and I do so admire seeing books lined up like little soldiers - back to back - instead of back-to-back and stacked on top of one another:(

Today I picked up a copy of Accomodating Brocolli in the Cemetary or Why Can't Anybody Spell? from Music Zone today for £1.97. Also bought another manga, Fruits Basket volume 8. :)

That brings my unread book pile to just over 60. :confused:

Well, today was quite a fruitful day. We were able to go to Both the Library Sale and the Second Hand Book Store. Delightful.

At the Library Sale:
The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James
Dark Star by Alan Furst
Cat in a Crimson Haze by Carole Nelson Douglas
Whirlwind by James Clavell (vol I & II)
Marjorie Morningstar by Herman Wouk
Prague by Arthur Phillips
The Sleeping Father by Matthew Sharpe
The Running Woman and Crime of Silence by Patricia Carlon

at the second hand store:
Spy Catcher by Peter Wright (I have the softback, but this is a nice hardback copy)
Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy (another hardback replacment)
Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco
Virginia Woolf, A Biography by Quentin Bell
Black Coffee Agatha Christie (adapted as a novel by Charles Osborne)

And arrived from Amazon:
Nabokov in 90 Minutes by Paul Strathern

All together for All of the above it came to.....$ 39.80 USD And most of them are hardback, with a few trade paperbacks thrown into the pile.

Back