• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

I ordered a lot of books from the library and quite a few arrived today:
Sylvia Plath - Ariel (german/english)
Roald Dahl - Charlie and the chocolate factory
Henrik Ibsen - Gespenster (Ghosts)
Judith Hermann - Sommerhaus, später (The Summer House, Later)
Jean-Paul Sartre - Geschlossene Gesellschaft (Huis Clos)
Sarah Kane - Zerbombt (Blasted)

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. The hardcover is on sale at Chapters/Indigo/Coles for $9.99 right now.

My friends poked fun at me because I haven't read the Harry Potter books. So I went to amazon.co.uk and ordered the first book. Oh, and my friends also poked fun because I won't read the U.S. version.

raffaellabella said:
My friends poked fun at me because I haven't read the Harry Potter books. So I went to amazon.co.uk and ordered the first book.

Did you at least charge it to your obviously literate "friends"?

Oh, and my friends also poked fun because I won't read the U.S. version.

While I don’t understand a real distinction, let alone one that is 'funny', maybe you could kick them in the nuts (a one-up from "poking fun", methinks) because they read the US version when it's authored by an English woman?

Just trying to help out here...
Further help would be by recommending you to stick with Edith Wharton and the like. You’ve graduated past ‘poking fun’…
j

jay said:
Did you at least charge it to your obviously literate "friends"?

I should make them pay for it. And I think the poke fun because they think I'm being too particular by wanting to read the original version without a word changed, but I'm like that with all my books.

raffaellabella said:
I should make them pay for it.

[looking] 456 pages…so I’d say the *perfect* payment is 456 –hell, let’s round it up, 500 deep paper cuts to each friend over the sloooooow period of however long it takes you to waste your time reading the book. Multiplied by two.

And I think the poke fun because they think I'm being too particular by wanting to read the original version without a word changed, but I'm like that with all my books.

ok, so that’s the “poking” for the UK/US thing (was a children’s book really dumbed down for the US audience? While I’m not surprised it seems…kooky. I know of the non-use of “philosopher” in one of the titles but I didn’t know there were other changes…was the fellatio scene left in? Oh wait, I may be thinking of something else…) but how do they justify the initial “poking” for not having read it?
“Ha, ha, you’re such a weenie, you don’t read (or “read”) books just because everyone else is doing it and you seem to have a non-submittal power to mass propaganda and possibly a good sense of taste”?
I’m confused.

Last book bought:
_Game Control_ by Lionel Shriver

j

I just wanted to say hi. I'm new to this forum. My favorite Genre is military SF. As for the books I recently purchased, last night i bought:

Honor Among Enemies
In Enemy Hands
Echoes of Honor
Ashes Of Victory
War of Honor
all by David Weber

lol Waldenbooks had a sale

jay said:
[looking] ok, so that’s the “poking” for the UK/US thing (was a children’s book really dumbed down for the US audience? While I’m not surprised it seems…kooky. I know of the non-use of “philosopher” in one of the titles but I didn’t know there were other changes…was the fellatio scene left in?

Don't laugh. I keep telling them it's going to get to a point where Harry Potter is going to lose his viriginity in one the books because he's getting too old for the innocent stuff.

And in every Harry Potter book there are over a hundred changes for the US audience. Guess americans don't know what a Lorry is or that a biscuit is a cookie, and the list goes on....

raffaellabella said:
And in every Harry Potter book there are over a hundred changes for the US audience. Guess americans don't know what a Lorry is or that a biscuit is a cookie, and the list goes on....

Jezuz. Well, we wouldn’t want reading to actually be a _learning_ experience now, so I guess the changes are mandatory in a Bush’esque/no-such-thing as “culture” world.

zzzzzzzzzzz,
j

raffaellabella said:
Don't laugh. I keep telling them it's going to get to a point where Harry Potter is going to lose his viriginity in one the books because he's getting too old for the innocent stuff.

You should direct your friends to some nice HP adult slash fanfiction....Joking apart I am truly shocked that words such as lorry and biscuit would be altered for a non-British audience. That's so appalling, I am just trying to imagine all of the great non-British books I've read that have been an enriching and broadening experience precisely because they do give me new language. I had no idea this sort of thing went on, its absurd.

francesca said:
Joking apart I am truly shocked that words such as lorry and biscuit would be altered for a non-British audience.

Actually "translating" is done with a lot of English books and even some Americans ones if they don't like the grammar or the spelling the author originally used 100 years ago. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Picked up East of Eden by Steinbeck. The Penguin Centennial Edition in trade paperback. The book that brought back Oprah's book club! :rolleyes: I found that Zellers, aka Canadian Wal*Mart, carries the Oprah book club books at 25% off. Maybe purchase that Faulkner boxset from there sometime.

My Dad was cleaning out his basement and came across copies of A Tale of Two Cities by Chuck & Silas Marner by George Eliot from his school days. Not exactly recently purchased but certainly newly acquired by me.

Picked up Clive Cussler's Valhalla Rising tonight. Im' going to put the Buchwald aside and read the CC book first thing tonight.

Stillriver - Andrew Rosenheim

sale at borders yesturday..couldnt resist. and with this purchase, i got an extra 25% off another book! (yet to buy...)
Lani

Rigana said:
I ordered a lot of books from the library and quite a few arrived today:
Sarah Kane - Zerbombt (Blasted)
Really?? :D
I'd like to know what you think of it once you've read it. :)

I found a bookshop with a sale on in Newcastle when i was on holiday-so I bought:

The Redemption Of Althalus-David and Leigh Eddings
The Diamond Throne-Eddings
Silverthorn-Raymond E. Feist
Darkness at Sethanon-Raymond E. Feist
The Wizards And The Warriors-Hugh Cook
The Stars Like Dust-Isaac Asimov

Back