• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Just received Tipping the Velvet, by Sarah Waters, in the mail from bookswim.com, so I've started it. :)
Nice, my boyfriend's mother was reading Fingersmith and said she loved that... so I got her Tipping the Velvet and she totally absorbed it.
I saw the movie and was a little freaked out by some parts - I suppose I was just a little surprised by a lot of it. The girls were super cute though.

I just got the following books in the mail! :D

Mr. Darcy's Diary, by Amanda Grange -- a very interesting book, makes you look at P&P differently!
Breaking dawn - Stephenie meyer
The book with no name - anonymous (bought it because it reminded me of my brothers writing style and I wanted him to read it)

and I just bought:

Inkspell - Cornelia Funke
The book of air and shadows - Michael Gruber

So I have some reading ahead of me! :)

This morning I bought:

The Enchantress of Florence, by Salman Rushdie
Flood, by Stephen Baxter
Lost in a Good Book, by Jasper Fforde
Sandworms of Dune, by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
Sea of Poppies, by Amitav Ghosh

I think the Thursday Next and Dune books are likely to sit on my shelf for a while, the Dune book in particular since I want to re-read through the entire saga, but the rest will likely comprise my reading list for the next day or two (I read fast) unless I get distracted.

Just borrowed Black Sun Rising: Coldfire by Celia Friedman from my local library. I've been searching,and had given up,for a new fantasy series to dive into for a few years now. There are hundreds of 'em,and until now none of 'em caught my eye-book 3 of this or book 5 of that-but I've started the above title and I'm certain it's the one!:rolleyes:

Nice, my boyfriend's mother was reading Fingersmith and said she loved that... so I got her Tipping the Velvet and she totally absorbed it.
I saw the movie and was a little freaked out by some parts - I suppose I was just a little surprised by a lot of it. The girls were super cute though.

I'm halfway through the book and loving it. My local library has the movie, so I think I'll go rent it tomorrow and watch it over he weekend once I've finished the book.

I'm definitely going to read Fingersmith too.

Ghost Town, Patrick McGrath
Bahia Blues, Yasmina Traboulsi
Two Brothers, Bernardo Atxaga
One Morning Like A Bird, Andrew Miller
The Hakawati, Rabih Alameddine
The Bookshop, Penelope Fitzgerald
Offshore, Penelope Fitzgerald
The Savage Detectives, Roberto Bolaño
Towards Another Summer, Janet Frame

Boy did Sandford's novel, Eyes Of Prey, end on a bittersweet note or what?...
Well I began on book 4 at 1 this morning (PT time).....
:
awww.johnsandford.org_pic_0425137562b.jpg

in the 'Prey series' and I WAS surprised...it's Eyes of Prey part 2.! OH bugger!, Davenport will be pleased...not.
eek.gif
scared.gif

I rejoined a mail order book club and just received my introductory order; all non-fiction. These are some of the titles:

THE COMPLETE PERSEPOLIS by Marjane Satrapi
THE LAST FLIGHT OF THE SCARLET MACAW by Bruce Barcott
THE GARDEN PRIMER: THE COMPLETELY REVISED GARDENER'S BIBLE by Barbara Damrosch
WOMEN & MONEY by Suze Orman
THE FACTS ON FILE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF WORLD MYTHOLOGY AND LEGEND, SECOND EDITION by James R. Dow and Anthony S. Mercatante

I rejoined a mail order book club and just received my introductory order; all non-fiction. These are some of the titles:

THE COMPLETE PERSEPOLIS by Marjane Satrapi

I have been wanting to read this ever since I saw the movie version (which was excellent, if you couldn't tell).

I just came upon The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. I think it belonged to my brother but...I'm taking it anyway ;)

• The Pathseeker, Kertész Imre
  • Customer Service, Benoît Duteurtre
  • The North Of God, Steve Stern
  • Close To Jedenew, Kevin Vennemann
  • Shop Talk, Philip Roth
  • Lud-in-the-Mist, Hope Mirrlees

Another two today:

If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things - Jon McGregor
The Fall of Usher House and Other Writings - Edgar Allan Poe

I picked up some books from the library. Now watch me not have the time to read them once they're in my possession, hah!

Monkey - Wu Ch'eng-en
Books: A Memoir - Larry McMurtry
Heath Ledger: His Beautiful Life and Mysterious Death - John McShane

For my birthday, I received
Freakonomics, Stephen D Levitt and Stephen J Dubner
The Conservative's Handbook, Phil Valentine

And then I bought
The Lost Gospel of Judas Iscariot, Bart Ehrman
Misquoting Jesus:The Story Between Who Changed the Bible and Why, Bart Ehrman
The Judgment of Paris:The Revolutionary Decade that Gave the World Impressionism, Ross King
Leonardo's Wans, Karen Essex
Wickett's Remedy, Myla Goldberg

For my birthday, I received
Freakonomics, Stephen D Levitt and Stephen J Dubner
The Conservative's Handbook, Phil Valentine

And then I bought
The Lost Gospel of Judas Iscariot, Bart Ehrman
Misquoting Jesus:The Story Between Who Changed the Bible and Why, Bart Ehrman
The Judgment of Paris:The Revolutionary Decade that Gave the World Impressionism, Ross King
Leonardo's Wans, Karen Essex
Wickett's Remedy, Myla Goldberg

Happy Birthday!

I have read two of Bart Ehrman books (Misquoting Jesus & also
God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question--Why We Suffer). I enjoyed them both but liked God's Problem the most of the two.

Let me know what you think about Ehrman's books. I'm particularly curious about The Lost Gospel of Judas

I recently bought The Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born (the comic adaptation), and borrowed The Woods (Harlen Coben), Never Far From Nowhere (Andrea Levy), and A Thousand Splendid Suns (Khaled Hosseini).

The library rang Friday to say my order Wolf And Iron by Gordon R Dickson was ready to collect. I'm only 170 pages into a 500+ fantasy,so I'll leave it 'til Wednesday!

Back