• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Yes indeed, ABC :flowers: !
Finally caught up with some authors and books that we haven't been able to see elsewhere - King's Writing, Walker Percy, Zelda Fitzgerald, Ambler, and even Red Diapers. And, on impulse, Matthiessen looked wonderful and with a vaguely familiar title, so he went into the basket too.
Happy campers here
(Amazon would be like surrendering :D )

Are you finding these goodies at thrift stores or used bookstores? Both? I think I feel a need for a vacation...a book buying tour of the deeeeeep South:D

A Question of Guilt by Julianne Lee
The Little Book by Selden Edwards
Inside Inside by James Lipton
The House at Riverton by Kate Morton
The Undertaker's Wife by Loren D. Estleman

Are you finding these goodies at thrift stores or used bookstores? Both? I think I feel a need for a vacation...a book buying tour of the deeeeeep South:D

Hi ABC! These came from Blue Cypress and McKeon's bookstores in New Orleans and are a mixture of new and used. Most books come from liibrary sales and Amazon used books but, when dealing in person with small bookstore owners I don't mind the somewhat higher prices and will pick up a new book if that is what they have. They deserve the encouragement.

And now a few more, from the sale table at Books-a-Million, today:

Anathem - Neal Stephenson

The Lost Spy - Andrew Meier

The Discomfort Zone - Jonathan Franzen

First Meetings - Orson Scott Card

That's the buying list. The reading list is something else again. :lol:

The Phoenix of the Opera & Out of the Darkness - Sadie Montgomergy
The Pig, the Prince, and the Unicorn - Karen A. Brush

From the library:
The Last Olympian - Rick Riordan
Raven's Shadow - Patricia Briggs
The Sun Witch - Linda Winstead Jones

I recently bought Shirley, by Charlotte Bronte, based on the strength of the author's name alone. Has anyone read it? I sort of love Jane Eyre, how well does it compare?

Ordered last week, arrived today:

The Complete Western Stories of Elmore Leonard

Lady Snowblood Vol. 1 to 4, by Kazuo Koike with Kazuo Kamimura - :D very excited about this!

"Four Paws and One Old Cat - Different and the Same" An Illustrated Kids Book

My sister, Linda R. Beall, has just published her first children's book entitled "Four Paws and One Old Cat - Different and The Same." This adorable watercolor illustrated hardbound children's book teaches the story of Beall's four small dogs, and one very old cat (Kitty!). See how the dogs all look like another wild animal that all children seem to also love. Learn how each dog has its own special likes and dislikes.

This is the first in a series of four children's books written by Linda Beall. She is an author and award-winning poet from St. Augustine, Florida.

The price of the book is normally $28.95, plus taxes, shipping and handling. With this launch on Book & Reading Forum, we are selling the book at a 25% discount, or $21.95 plus taxes, shipping and handling (estimated at about $5 extra). Linda is available to autograph your copy for an additional $2.50. She can also add a special message of your choice for another $2.50. Make sure to include these requests in your response to this listing.

This is a great book for children. Linda has an educational background in social work services and has taught youth swimming for many, many years. She has taken her interactions with her animals and some of the kids and places she has encountered over her lifetime and incorporated these into a fun and beautiful series of children's books. "Four Paws" is beautifully illustrated by the award-winning water-colorist Linda M. Brandt.

To see more of "Four Paws and One Old Cat - Different and The Same" call us at (727) 947-2696 and we'll direct you to our website, e-mail address and ordering service.

ENJOY THE BOOK! AND TELL YOUR FRIENDS TO PURCHASE A COPY TOO!

Pontalba:

Hello from the brother of Linda R. Bell, author of "Four Paws and One Old Cat - Different and The Same."

The site informed me that you had reviewed my posting. Do you have children or know of any children that might an enjoy easy reading hardbound book with beautiful watercolor illustrations?

These for my teetering pile of unread-but-definitely-wanna-read:

The Kenyon Review - Winter 2010 - Special Issue Devoted to Work by North American Indigenous Authors

The Mammoth Book of Secret Codes and Cryptograms - Elonka Dunin

Challenging Cryptograms - Helen Nash

Short Stories:

Donald Barthelme - 60 Stories

Ellen Gilchrist - In The Land of Dreamy Dreams

Eudora Welty - Thirteen Stories

Andre Dubus - Selected Stories

And longer:

Orson Scott Card - Magic Street

John Fowles - The Ebony Tower

Virginia Woolf - A Room of One's Own

Linda Wagner-Martin - Virginia Woolf, A Biography

Laurence Perrine - Sound and Sense, an Introduction to Poetry

And largest of all:

The Chicago Manual of Style, 14th Edition

From the library:
Silver Borne - Patricia Briggs
Lessons in French - Laura Kinsale
The Moon Witch & The Star Witch - Linda Winstead Jones

And my boyfriend bought The Book Thief for me this weekend. :) I'm liking it a lot so far.

Back