• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Naoko by Keigo Higashino
God is an Englishman by R.F. Delderfield
Edith Cavell by Diana Souhami
Flappers and Philosophers by F. Scott Fitzgerald (an absolutely gorgeous Penguin Classics hardback, irresistible :) )
Gillespie and I by Jane Harris
Blue Monday by Nicci French

Borrowed from the Library:
The Butterfly Clues - Katie Ellison
Dragon Age: The Calling - David Gaider
The Complete Fox - Les Stocker

It feels like I've been waiting forever for Dragon Age to come in.

Silent Years, An Autobiography - J.F. Byrne. With the "Chaocipher" invented by the author and claimed to be unbreakable.

Day by day they trickle in, not always in an Amazon flood, but at least a Mississippi River. :cool:

Why Lyrics Last by Brian Boyd, the noted authority on Vladimir Nabokov.

Guts by Kristen Johnston
The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie
When General Grant Expelled the Jews by Jonathan D. Sarna
Phantom by Jo Nesbo
The Virgin and The Gipsy by D. H. Lawrence

Burmese Days - George Orwell
Hitlerland - Andrew Nagorski
M. C. Escher, the Graphic Work - Intro and discussion by the author himself.

I recently purchased The Awakening Trilogy by Christine M. Butler, and 31AD & 61 AD by David McAfee. All awesome books. I'm looking to borrow The Hunger Games for kindle! So if anyone has it and doesn't mind lending...shoot me a PM :)

A Cup of Tea (A Novel of 1917) by Amy Ephron
A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry
A Vocation and A Voice stories by Kate Chopin
The Reservoir by John Milliken Thompson
Picture Maker by Penina Keen Spinka
The Cloud Garden (A true story of adventure, survival, and extreme horticulture) by Tom Hart Dyke and Paul Winder
A Trip to the Stars by Nicholas Christopher
Theirs Was the Kingdom by R.F. Delderfield

Genius, the Life and Science of Richard Feynman - James Gleick

Poets and Story-Tellers - David Cecil

The Paris Wife - Paula McLain

A Short History of the Confederate States of America - Jefferson Davis

The Apocalypse Watch - Robert Ludlum

Homicide - David Simon

^Homicide is one of my favourite books. Notwithstanding the fact that Simon had a lot of rich material to work with, it's a breathtaking feat of journalism that puts a lot of other reporters to shame. The guy's empathy, attention to detail, adroit storytelling, and informative insight converge to give as compelling an account of American crime as you're ever likely to encounter. But enough of my gushing, perhaps you've read it already.

The sequel I long for more than anything is a follow-up to A Year on the Killing Streets. A twenty-years-later book could be excellent, but perhaps Simon has moved on and/or burned too many bridges at BPD Homicide.

I have recently downloaded more than 50 books (way too many to name) via a free kindle book site. Many are from new writers or some that are not as popular as the more mainstream authors. I love reading new authors. Now, how to find the time to read them all?

I said I wasn't going to buy any books on my Easter weekend trip to England because they are too heavy to bring back and I'd rather trade that weight for delicious beer, but I still ended up coming home with these:

Stand and Deliver!: A History of Highway Robbery by David Brandon
The Wars of the Roses by Michael Hicks (the unavailable in the U.S. softcover. Neener.)
West Wall: The Battle For Hitler's Siegfried Line (Volume 1 of the Spellmount Siegfried Line Series) by Charles Whiting
44: in Combat from Normandy to the Ardennes (Volume 2 of the Spellmount Siegfried Line Series) by Charles Whiting
Bloody Aachen (Volume 3 of the Spellmount Siegfried Line Series) by Charles Whiting
Hitler's Holy Relics: A True Story of Nazi Plunder and the Race to Recover the Crown Jewels of the Holy Roman Empire by Sidney Kirkpatrick

Verah nice.

Winter King by Thomas Penn

The Queen by Steven James

The Mystery of Lewis Carroll by Jenny Woolf

Josephine by Carolly Erickson

The Small Rain by Madeleine L'Eng;e

After the Revolution by Joseph J. Ellis

The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester

The Statement by Brian Moore

Life Sentences by Laura Lippman

The Seville Communication by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Back