• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

I feel like I won the lottery today. I bought 12 books for $14! Most are classics I found among the piles of pulp:
Germinal by Emile Zola, Scarlet and Black by Stendhal, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, The Invisible Man by HG Wells, Anne of Avonlea, Anne of Windy Poplars, and Jane of Lantern Hill by LM Montgomery, The English Gentleman's Child by Douglas Sutherland, Doyle's The Return of Sherlock Holmes, CS Lewis's The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, aaaaand Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson (in hardcover to boot!).
Finding Quicksilver for $2 was a surprise. I few months ago I had bought the book new for $20 for a friend's birthday... and now I have a copy of my own!

From my uni library -

The Lost Steps by Alejo Carpentier
Tales of Hoffmann by ETA Hoffmann
Matter and Memory by Henri Bergson

Too bad there's a limit to the number of books you can borrow at one time, if not I would have picked up so many more titles. It's like Borges's Library of Babel - there's a pretty wide selection of books on philosophy, anthropology, psychology, etc.

From the public library :

Against The Day - Thomas Pynchon
The Dog of The South - Charles Portis

E is for Evidence - Sue Grafton
Act of War - Brad Thor
The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
Constellation - A.A. Smith

Tales from the Detroit Tigers Dugout: A Collection of the Greatest Tigers Stories Ever Told - Jack Ebling

In November I bought:

1. The Book of Strange New Things (Michel Faber)
2. Word Freak: Heartbreak, Triumph, Genius, and Obsession in the World of Competitive Scrabble Players (Stefan Fatsis)
3. Shades of Grey (Jasper Fforde)
4. Oh, Calamity! (Anne Merrick, Tessa Richardson-Jones)
5. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing (Marie Kondo)
5. The Eyre Affair (Jasper Fforde)
6. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul (Jeff Kinney)
7. Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World (Vicki Myron, Bret Witter)
8. Wintergirls (Laurie Halse Anderson)
9. Thirteen Reasons Why (Jay Asher)

...and a dozen books or so (give or take a few) from the Scholastic book fair at my kids' school.

Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn (Hello everyone, my name is 753c and I am an addict.)
A Rumor of War - Phillip Caputo

10610489_10152835013688369_5688895569675570615_n.jpg

Just starting the Junot Diaz book tonight. I'm done with Dawkins and I can't wait for the opening lines of the Karen Armstrong book.

Which Diaz did you get? Just curious, and I can't see the title. :)

This Is How You Lose Her. I really liked it, it reminded me of Sandra Cisneros's book The House on Mango Street, only from a male perspective. It was more of a novella, but I liked it as much as I did The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, which was the first book of his that I read. I highly recommend it...........or both.

Oh yeah! I am a pretty hardcore Diaz fan at this point. I thought This is How You Lose Her was superb. Drown, too, if you haven't already read it is pretty great. After reading those, along with Oscar, I have come to consider Diaz one of my absolute favorite contemporary authors. He really gets to the heart of a lot of male issues, and even though everything is heavily Dominican dominated, the writing and the themes transcend ethnicity.

And let me know what you think of Homer and Langley. If I remember right, you and I both like Doctorow, and I've read that one too, so I would be curious what you think of it...

Oh yeah! I am a pretty hardcore Diaz fan at this point. I thought This is How You Lose Her was superb. Drown, too, if you haven't already read it is pretty great. After reading those, along with Oscar, I have come to consider Diaz one of my absolute favorite contemporary authors. He really gets to the heart of a lot of male issues, and even though everything is heavily Dominican dominated, the writing and the themes transcend ethnicity.

And let me know what you think of Homer and Langley. If I remember right, you and I both like Doctorow, and I've read that one too, so I would be curious what you think of it...

Loved the Doctorow book, just finished it yesterday. The:eek: Collyer brothers:confused: were quite something else. I've always enjoyed Doctorow's writing and I think Ragtime was masterful in how it wove in multiple characters in all of their complexities in a smooth story, absolutely masterful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collyer_brothers

My mourning of Gabriel Garcia Marquez is somewhat soothed by Diaz's writing. Good to see a writer of the Southern(albeit Caribbean) variety produce some great material.

Library :
The Adventures of Augie Marsh - Saul Bellow
The Moor's Last Tears - Salmon Rushdie

Kindle :
The Girl On The Train - Paula Hawkins

Bring Up The Bodies - Hillary Mantel
Sequel to Wolf Hall. At 30% through I like it just as much or more. Mantel's vision of Thomas Cromwell and the court of Henry the 8th is compelling.

Back