• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

50 cents - harcover! Thats a good deal :)
Out here, things like clearance sale are very very rare!
And second hand books? If you go out on the streets, you will definitely find many people who claim to be selling used books, but most of the time they are pirated :mad:
So, I save up and buy a brand new one :D

Yesterday I bought Jane Fonda's autobiography and Alexander McCall Smith's newest.

I didn't buy:

The Mermaid Chair

Never Let Me Go

The Kite Runner

With No One As Witness

and

Vanishing Acts

But I wrote them down for later.

Any comments?

:)

Added a few more to my ever growing pile :D

The Scar by China Mieville.
Synopsis
A human cargo bound for servitude in exile...A pirate city hauled across the oceans...A hidden miracle about be revealed...This is the story of a prisoner's journey. The search for the island of a forgotten people, for the most astonishing beast in the seas, and ultimately for a fabled place - a massive wound in reality, a source of unthinkable power and danger. From the author of Perdido Street Station, another colossal fantasy of incredible diversity and spellbinding imagination, which was acclaimed in The Times Literary Supplement as: 'An astonishing novel, guaranteed to astound and enthral the most jaded palate...exhilarating, sometimes very moving, occasionally shocking, always humane and thought-provoking'.

Tree of Angels by Penny Summer.
Synopsis
A house carved fine as a jewellery box, a painted garden, an angel in a palm tree. These are some of the marvels of the Russian estate where Nina grows up, surrounded by her beautiful mother and her eccentric father and her elder sister. But a tragedy causes Nina to leave her homeland behind and when she arrives in England on the brink of the First World War she must adjust to a society very different from her own.

Over the next eighty years, the family scatters across the globe in the wake of the Russian revolution and two world wars. It is only when Nina's granddaughter beings a search for her roots that her family's tragic history can be pieced together ...

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.
Synopsis
Hidden in the heart of the old city of Barcelona is the 'cemetery of lost books', a labyrinthine library of obscure and forgotten titles that have long gone out of print. To this library, a man brings his 10-year-old son Daniel one cold morning in 1945. Daniel is allowed to choose one book from the shelves and pulls out 'La Sombra del Viento' by Julian Carax. But as he grows up, several people seem inordinately interested in his find. Then, one night, as he is wandering the old streets once more, Daniel is approached by a figure who reminds him of a character from La Sombra del Viento, a character who turns out to be the devil. This man is tracking down every last copy of Carax's work in order to burn them. What begins as a case of literary curiosity turns into a race to find out the truth behind the life and death of Julian Carax and to save those he left behind. A page-turning exploration of obsession in literature and love, and the places that obsession can lead.

sanyuja said:
Hmm... I hardly buy hardcover books. One, they don't fit mu bydget and two, the craze here is for paperbacks. Somehow, people here don't buy hardback copies!

Don't know about everyone else but I find hardback books seriously annoying for four reasons

1. The cover always slips off whilst I'm reading and ends up thrown in frustration onto the floor.

2. They are annoyingly cumbersome and seeing as my favourite reading position is curled up in bed on my side, I always end up with a a corner poking into my shoulder or somewhere equally uncomfortable!

3. I always get hardbacks as presents, so if they start off or are a part of a series they never match the paperback books I have to buy to complete the series (Am rather anal retentive in that way)

4. Hardbacks are a ploy to make those desperate to read the next book in a series or by a favourite author, shell out more money rather than suffer the excruciating wait for it to come out in paperback.

Ok, rant over.
Just bought for the amazing sum of 9 pounds (all in paperback of course)

The lake House by James Patterson (Unfortunately rather dire)

The last Precinct by Patricia Cornwell

Blowfly by Patricia Cornwell

The Face by Dean Koontz

I love cheapo bookshops!

Last time I went on a splurge for books was when I went and visited the Harvard bookstore up in Boston/Cambridge, where I bought the following.

Beyond Good & Evil by Friedrich Nietszche
The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Howl and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg
The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx
Walden and Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau
Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo
Profiles in Courage by John F. Kennedy

And that, I believe, is it.

I've just received Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code that I ordered online at Amazon. Sooo excited. :) I'll probably start reading it after I'm done writing this research essay. No more procrastinating, for now.

Have just ordered.....
'Little, Big' ~ John Crowley

Also bought today for Only :D 50p 2nd hand copy
'The Road to Wigan Pier ' ~ George Orwell

:cool: Skippie hop!

Some days you're the pigeon, others the statue.........................

Erica said:

Have just ordered.....
'Little, Big' ~ John Crowley

Also bought today for Only :D 50p 2nd hand copy
'The Road to Wigan Pier ' ~ George Orwell

:cool: Skippie hop!

Some days you're the pigeon, others the statue.........................

I'm planning on picking up Little, Big. Hopefully it will be picked as the book of the month for June :)

Happy happy joy joy! *little dance*

I *got it* RaVen!

Assassin's Apprentice, Robin Hobb
Magician's Guild, Trudi Canavan (this, Halo, is your fault) :).

ds

Portuguese Irregular Verbs, Alexander McCall Smith.

I hope this is as funny as it's said to be. I do adore Precious Ramotswe.

direstraits said:
Magician's Guild, Trudi Canavan (this, Halo, is your fault) :).
ds

:D I hope you like it! If you do, I'll take all the credit for your choice. If you don't, it was nothing to do with me. :p

Hey that sounds exactly like me! Kindred spirits we are, except I'm the funnier one.

I also got:
My Life, Bill Clinton
Dragon Lady, The Life and Legend of the Last Empress of China, Sterling Seagrave.

I'm very happy to report that Robin Hobb has not let me down yet - it's looking pretty damn good so far after gobbling up half the book...

ds

Bought 3 for 2 at Borders yesterday
Bergorf Blondes by Plum Skyes
Purple Hisbiscus by Cheilamanda Ngordi Admene ( Long name but I knew it isn't right!)
Vroom with A View by Peter Moore

Party of One - Anneli Rufus

Normally, I only buy reference books and patronize the local library for everything else, but this one struck close to the bone. It is about loners, a subculture of which I have been a member for 40 years.

Rufus discusses the fact that loners are, for the most part, normal people who simply do not need to interact with society to thrive.

I am open to discussion with anyone, particularly other loners, regarding this book.

Rex
=^..^=

Got, and started today, The Crimson Petal and the White by Micheal Faber.

Synopsis
Step into Victorian London and meet a host of unforgettable characters - including our heroine, Sugar, a young lady trying to drag herself up from the gutter any way that she can.

Back