• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

The last book i bought was the virgin suicides. Havent had a chance to read it though, stupid exams coming up.

Recently purchased .....

Nothing!! There seems to be a derth of decent books being published recently, except for a whole load in hardback (and I dont buy hardbacks). This crisis has reached such a point that I couldnt find three books I wanted in the Ottakars 3-for-2 offer, which is a first for me :(

Please, somebody write some decent books soon so that I can get reading again, I havnt read a book in well over a month, and I think if I leave it much longer then my brain will freeze up and I'll have to start watching endless repeats on TV instead!

Phil

' Black Dog' by Stephen Booth

UK Readers note; its Only 99p in Ottakars :)
Not sure how long offer on for? worth a look...

Erica said:
' Black Dog' by Stephen Booth

UK Readers note; its Only 99p in Ottakars :)
Not sure how long offer on for? worth a look...

Cheers for that Erica, picked up a copy today 99p Wow! :)

Ranma 1/2 Vol. 29
Island of the Sequined Love Nun by Christopher Moore
Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore
Suffer the children by David Bishop
The Stand by Stephen King

Is a Hatful of Sky out in paperback yet?

Trace, Patricia Cornwell (I don't think I really like the characters anymore, but feel compelled to keep going)

Skeleton Crew, Stephen King

2001: A Space Odessey, Arthur C Clarke

Sushi for Beginners, Marian Keys
(Last three all selected from a 3 for 2 rack in a second hand book shop, bit of an eclectic mix really!)

Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut. I've read it before, but this copy happens to be the paperback original with the slightly risqué cover art. ;)

I need to keep myself out of the bookstores. First off, my boyfriend win a book (Good in Bed by Jennifer Weinder) for me in a raffle yesterday. Then, we went shopping.

I walked out with few, surprisingly, however it adds to my queue...

Stiff by Mary Roach
Almost French by Sarah Turnbull (A book that I hope will give insight into Parisian life.)
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson (I hope this will help me narrow my choices when it comes to non-fiction selection.)
Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer (My boyfriend has Mormon family, so both of us are extremely interested in this tale of mormons committing murders because god told them to.)

This morning:

Friend: Hello?
Me: Hi. It's Mari.
Friend: Hey.
Me: Hi. Can we borrow your car?
Friend: Sure. What's up?
Me: We went to an estate sale. We got a couple of things.
Friend: Well, you know, I don't have a station wagon. Whatja get, furniture?
Me: We got some books.
Friend: Why am I not surprised?
Me: We got the Oxford English Dictionary.
Friend: You need a car for a dictionary? Must be really unabridged.
Me: It's twenty volumes. It weighs about a hundred and fifty pounds.
Friend: Oh, so you are insane.

What year was that OED published, Mari?

If it's before a certain date, I'd like you to look something up for me.

ds

Today I bought three books for £5:

I, Robot & Robots and Empire (in one volume) - Isaac Asimov
Mr Commitment - Mike Gayle
The Dog Walker - Leslie Schnur.

I've never read any Asimov, so thought I'd give it a go. The other two aren't the kind of thing I normally read either! They've been added to my ever-increasing TBR pile. :rolleyes:

Mari said:
Friend: Hello?
Me: Hi. It's Mari.
Friend: Hey.
Me: Hi. Can we borrow your car?
Friend: Sure. What's up?
Me: We went to an estate sale. We got a couple of things.
Friend: Well, you know, I don't have a station wagon. Whatja get, furniture?
Me: We got some books.
Friend: Why am I not surprised?
Me: We got the Oxford English Dictionary.
Friend: You need a car for a dictionary? Must be really unabridged.
Me: It's twenty volumes. It weighs about a hundred and fifty pounds.
Friend: Oh, so you are insane.

Well done, Mari. What did you pay?

Heh--the price we paid was carrying it up four flights to our apartment.

We bought some other books at the sale, and bargained hard for the whole lot. That's the trick; you can't bargain on the price of just one thing. You have to throw in a bunch of other stuff, and try to convince them that you're doing them a favor by taking it all off their hands. We paid $350, though the OED was the biggest part of that.

This cleaned us out. We were going to go to the food store next, but it got to the point where my husband and I were standing at the estate sale with our grocery list, saying things like, "Well, there's probably something around the kitchen." Come to think of it, that probably helped us get a good price.

I must say, though, that the OED is almost impossibly interesting and--I admit it--fun. The definitions include two million excerpts from the exemplary writing of the past five hundred years. What an expanse to explore!

Though I have known for quite some time - actually since last summer (2004!!!) - that the new novel by Paulo Coelho would be entitled "The Zahir" I had a chance to buy Zahir only recently when it was published in my country a month ago.

Great read!!! On Coelho´s website you can find the first chapter online and read it there to get a taste of it.

"Desire is not what you see, but what you imagine."
http://www.warriorofthelight.com
http://www.paulocoelho.com
:)

Last night, I made an impulse buy, On Bullshit by Harry G. Frankfurt. Frankfurt is professor of philosophy at Princeton, and his book is an academic exploration of the BS we are almost constantly subjected to. I hate BS, so when I saw the BS promoting this book on the show 60 Minutes, I had to order it, along with Welcome to the Monkey House by Vonnegut (a collection of his short stories) and The Ending of Time by Jiddu Krishnamurti (a discussion between Krishnamurti and David Bohm).

Back