• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommendation from the King fans out there

laboi_22

I'm intrested in reading some of King's novels. I don't however want to waste a whole lot of time reading a novel that just wasn't his greatest. I would be greatful to any of his fans if you guys would recommend a book. Not just a book but his greatest. I love horror and still haven't read any of King. Simply because I didn't think I would enjoy him.

I don't think I would enjoy any of the dark tower series they don't hold my interest from the little I've read in the book store.

Any advice on which I should read first would greatly be appricated.

Thanks!!!

Justin

I'm a big fan of King's The Dark Tower, but I haven't really read any of his other novels. (Well, I read The Shining when I was a kid, but I don't really remember it.)

There are, however, quite a few threads on the Book Forum that might be of interest to you:

Or you can search for specific titles if you're looking for more information on a certain book.

Justin, glad to see you venturing out into other parts of the forum. :)

Seeing as you're new to King, I'd suggest one of his novella or short story collections first. They're not as daunting as his doorstoppers (The Stand, It). Personally, I prefer his shorter works anyway.

I'd recommend Different Seasons - which includes the stories made into the movies "Stand By Me" and "Shawshank Redemption"; Four Past Midnight with the really creepy "Langoliers"; and Hearts In Atlantis - a more recent collection of related stories.

Try him out. Let us know what you think.

ell

hi there , ell stole my thunder with one recomendation in differant seasons. but you should try to read salems lot. its the last of many king books ive read and probly one of my favorites. its not too long and its a pretty quick read(except for the very beginning) it was reallly scary at points and hard to put dont i think you would like it : )

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Thanks Ell for the boost of confidence. I was thinking of starting with some of his short works also. I'll research on Amazon and read reviews till I find the best one and then read it. I'll let everyone know how it went. Thanks again to all!

you should just jump right in and start directly with The Shining.....his best in my opinion:)

Agreed. For one of his full novels, The Shining is a good one to start with.

Laboi, The Shining is perhaps King at his finest. It's a good place to start. See the "best King" thread I started in the post Lies made above...

Dreamcatcher was my brother's first King book. He's read everything by King as of now, and he says Dreamcatcher was an excellent start. If you're not intimidated by book length, you should try both Dreamcatcher and It, as well as The Shining, for a good grasp of King.

And pick up the Bachman books as well, King's old pen name. Those are some great quick reads.

While thumbing through the massive king asile at Barnes and Nobels, I had a chance to read some his first pages from some of his novels. What really caught my attention were two books in particular. These two books were my final selections:

Everything's Eventual

&

The Night Shift

Hope I like them. They sound really good!

laboi_22 said:
Everything's Eventual

The first story reminds me - a little - of the film The Long Night of the Glass Dolls although the story is simply a joke to amuse King.

The Night Shift

That's the original collection and you will, no doubt, recognise loads of the stories from film adaptations such as Children of the Corn, Maximum Overdrive, Sometimes They Come Back, and more.

did that one have the story about the rats? and there was also one about a guy who drinks a skunky beer, i think?

jenngorham said:
did that one have the story about the rats? and there was also one about a guy who drinks a skunky beer, i think?

I can't remember. I was a kid when I started reading King. :D

I am enjoying the short stories so far. I chose to read Everything's Eventual first. I really enjoyed Autoupsy Room 4. Maybe I'll become a King fan who knows!!

Thanks everyone for all the input and suggestions.

laboi_22 said:
I am enjoying the short stories so far. I chose to read Everything's Eventual first. I really enjoyed Autoupsy Room 4. Maybe I'll become a King fan who knows!!
If you end up enjoying the short story collections you've purchased, there is another: Nightmares & Dreamscapes. You may then want to move on to his novella collections: Different Seasons, Four Past Midnight, and Hearts in Atlantis (sort of; it's a collection of a few short stories, a novella, and a novel).

i took out Carrie yesterday. i never read any Stephen King's books before. i figured his first was a good place to start.

Back