• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommendations for an inexperienced reader?

PatBateman

I'm 19 now and have read few books for my own pleasure. My favorites in order are:

Harry Potter series
Dune
American Psycho
Angels & Demons

Fantasy and Sci-Fi are likely my favorite genres. I haven't really read enough books to be sure, though. I've only read 5 or so other books that were unrelated to school. I am open to suggestions in all genres.

Note that the cliches in Fantasy books are unlikely to deter me, considering I've read so little. However, I don't think I want to read another book where an average kid is shoved into a new world that he suddenly has to save from evil. But I may still be interested if it sounds really good.

Have you tried Philip Pullman's books? His Dark Materials trilogy is a good place to start.

Also, when you read, are you interested in the people, the writing style, or the exciting action?

You can never, ever go wrong with Stephen King's books, despite the awful movies. Also, Terry Pratchett is a personal favourite in the area of fantasy. If you like humour that makes you use your brain a little bit and reflect on things, then he's the man for you. A nearly endless supply of books (with more on the way), and niftiness, assuredly. Another good author is Robert A. Heinlein. He leans more toward science fiction.

You might enjoy other books by Bret Easton Ellis if you liked American Psycho. I liked Less than Zero and The Informers. Catch 22 is a good one too. It is the funniest book I've read.

Why don't you try reading "Old School" by Tobais Wolff.
It certainly isn't science fiction or fantasy, but its a great novel and not hard to read. Also, its sort of a coming of age story, which may be of interest to you.

Robert Rankin is worth a look if you fancy some sci fi/fantasy comedy. The Greatest Show off Earth and the Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocolypse are the first two of his i read and i was hooked. Now i'm half way through the Brenford trilogy which is eight books long(so far).:D

Personally, I liked Terry Brooks' "Landover" series; the first one is called Magic Kingdom for sale - sold!. I never could get into his Shannara books. I also have enjoyed just about everything I've read by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I just recently finished their Death Gate cycle. Good fantasy, with a hint of political commentary on the side - not so strong that it's annoying, just meant to be thought provoking. A good classic is To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee, if you never had to read that one for school.

I'm a true crime fan, Patricial Cornwell is superb.

As has been said already, Stephen King is excellent. For modern horror Richard Laymon is really good. Early James Herbert worth a look and Clive Barker too.

I'm not a fantasy fan so can't recommend anything there.

Here are a few random suggestions:

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

If you think you're up for the challenge, also try The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I am sure I will think of more later but those are some off of the top of my head that I think you should read if you haven't already.

Back