• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommendations for fantasy series

Hazra

I recently finished Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy and while I am not too ecstatic about the books, I would like to read some more stuff in the same vein. I've already read the standard fantasy starters: Harry Potter, Inheritance cycle, a couple of the Earthsea novels. Any suggestions?

I just finished A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. I'm not typically much of a fan of fantasy but this book was incredibly good. 800 pages and not a dull moment. One word of warning though: it is part of a series that has not yet been completed.

I just finished A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. I'm not typically much of a fan of fantasy but this book was incredibly good. 800 pages and not a dull moment. One word of warning though: it is part of a series that has not yet been completed.

And never will be completed. The dude is going to DIE!!!!!! before he finishes the books. He is a fat old lazy bastard. Great books though.

Robin Hobb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Robin Hobb's Farseer books are pretty good. They aren't as good as Martin's books but they are finished :).

The Farseer Trilogy
Liveship Traders Trilogy (my favorite of the bunch)
The Tawny Man Trilogy

I read her Soldier's Son books too, not connected to the Farseer books, and they were just ok.

Why don’t you give the “Inkheart Trilogy” by Cornelia Funke a try?

The trilogy consists of the following novels:

1. Inkheart
2. Inkspell
3. Inkdeath

The story is about twelve-year-old Meggie and her father Mo. Both of them have the unusual ability to transfer characters from books into the real world (and vice versa) while reading aloud. You can imagine that this ability also inherent dangers for themselves and people close to them…

Although the series is primarily for adolescent, I think you could always recommend it to any age group.

I just realized this was in the children and young adults section. That is one pit fall of using the "New Posts" feature.

My original advice on George RR Martin's series probably isn't good if children are going to be reading it. It has some very adult themes.

For children's/YA fantasy, I second the Inkheart trilogy and Cornelia Funke's other work, like the Thief Lord.

Tamora Pierce is a very popular YA fantasy author, especially among girls. Libba Bray's trilogy that starts with A Great and Terrible Beauty is also good, and was pretty original.

Of course, the Chronicles of Narnia is classic children's fantasy. I'm drawing a blank on other series at the moment.

I like George RR Martin as well, but agree that it's not appropriate for children (and probably not younger teens as well).

The Hobbit was originally penned towards Children and YA right?
That is a good one to start introducing adult literature and an amazing story.

The Hobbit was originally penned towards Children and YA right?
That is a good one to start introducing adult literature and an amazing story.

I would second this suggestion. The Hobbit is a GREAT story and very well written by Tolkien. Not only that, but it's a standalone read. It's not part of a series.

Robin Hobb's ....

Liveship Traders Trilogy (my favorite of the bunch)

I would second that. A great series.

Also to add, the Monarchies of God series by Paul Kearney. Five books in the series, yet the five total about 1600 pages. It has a great amount of military style action, along with great ruler v. religion political games. Great stuff!

I loved the Golden Compass series and Harry Potter is my favorite. I also love the Inkheart trilogy. In addition, I think you should try Swan Song by Robert McCammon, The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer, and the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan. Swan Song is an adult book and kind of heavy sometimes, but amazing. The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub is another in that same vein.

A book for children but which adults I am sure would enjoy is Artemis Fowl. Hilarious fantasy in the style of Terry Pratchett.
Many adults enjoy the Harry Potter books, so I am sure this one will go down well.

Back