• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommendations Please

Sorry, Kaz, but the book actually has nothing to do with deafness. One of the characters has a slight speech impediment which causes him to pronounce "death" as "deaf". At any rate, the books are about a kid coming of age in "rust-belt" Erie, PA. They are the American, blue-collar equivalent of Garcia-Marquez' One Hundred Years fo Solitude .
That is to say, they are written in the "magic-realism" style. Either way, they contain some of the finest writing, imho, I've ever read.

You could try some Japanese stuff, I'm a big fan of how it translates into English. The Hunting Gun by Inoue is fantastic, and South of the Border, West of the Sun / Norwegian Wood are great introductions to Haruki Murakami. Also The Dumas Club by A. Perez-Reverte? is a great read (crappy film though)
Finally since I seem to be prattling on, if you like a good scary read you could try The Masterpieces of Shirely Jackson, Which has two V.creepy novels in it and a whole bunch of her short stories. They made The Haunting of Hill House into a fantastic 1963 film which is also very good.

Depends on what you like
Mystery - read Tell no one, by Harlan Coben, or if you like something funnier, there is the Shopaholic books, or Good in Bed and In Her Shoes (Jennifer Weiner), or I Don't Know how she does it (Alison Pearson).

Back