• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommendations?

JordanW

kickbox
I am really looking to start with some stuff from William Blake and Edgar Allan Poe, and also anyone that is similar to them? I'm pretty much open to anything I guess, I'm really looking for more classical stuff (anything B.C. to the mid to late 1800's.) I also want to learn about Greek Philosophy, and I ordered 2 books today, one being Plato's The Republic and the other being Plato's The 5 Dialogues, both of which I am very excited to read. I always enjoyed reading when I was a kid, but I kind of fell away from that when I got older and when high school DEMANDED you to read, it kind of turned me away from reading. Now I am out of high school though and am actually interested in reading, so I hope that this post gives you enough information on what you need, if not feel free to ask me more. Thanks. :)

How far back do you want to go? Epic of Gilgamesh and The Bhagavad Gita old? Anything you definitely don't want to read?

I also want to learn about Greek Philosophy, and I ordered 2 books today, one being Plato's The Republic and the other being Plato's The 5 Dialogues, both of which I am very excited to read.

If you are interested in the Greeks, I recommend Thomas Cahill's Sailing the Wine-Dark Sea: Why the Greeks Matter. This work combines history, mythology, philosophy and art to give a compelling picture of the creativity of classic Greece. You will read Plato with greater understanding after the Cahill book.

I have some ideas if you're interested in classic literature in general.

• Anything by Shakespeare
  • The Canterbury Tales - Chaucer
  • The Iliad - Homer
  • The Odyssey - Homer
  • Done Quixote - Cervantes
  • Gulliver's Travels - Jonathon Swift
  • The Twelve Caesars - Suetonius
  • Le Morte D'Arthur - Malory
I hope some of those at least catch your fancy.

OK well anything from 3,000 B.C. to the late 1800's sounds good to me. I really want to get some of Shakespeare's work, but I'm not sure which publishers are the right ones I should be buying from? Also, thanks to all of you for the recommendations. :)

The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli
Democracy in America - Alexis de Tocqueville
Meditations - Marcus Aurelius
Thomas Paine
Mark Twain

Since you mention Poe, I also recommend the short stories of Ambrose Bierce.
Daphnis and Chloe - Longus
Metamorphoses - Ovid
Decameron - Giovanni Boccaccio

Back