• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Remainders

ions

For those that don't know a remainder is I'll explain with an example.

Recently I got myself a hardcover copy of Saturday by Ian McEwan for $9.99 brand new. This book was published in hardcover in 2005 (in Canada) and sold for $34.00. After a while sales of the book slowed and extra copies were returned to vendors/publishers for whatever credit is available. I don't know the exact amount of credit given. Since these books still have salvageable revenue they are not destroyed like mass market books are. Search for my diatribe on 'strip covers' for more info on that. The publisher collects these returns and bundles them into lots and auctions the lots off.

So say, for example using arbitrary numbers, 10,000 copies of Saturday get returned and go on the auction block. Say they are bought by a bookseller for $3000. That's $3.33 for each book. Put a $9.99 sticker on the front and you have almost $7 profit on 10,000 books. This example ignores other costs for the sake of simplicity. How long it takes for a book to become a remainder depends on a few things but mostly it's dependent on how well the book is doing. How well authors get enumerated for remainders I do not know. I am guessing it's another copy sold so it's not a bad thing but of course it's better for the author if you pay full price. I am poor and I have a book buying addiction. So, while I'd love to be able to buy books full price I can't always. So I try and get remainders when I can. The book isn't second-hand so it's still in new condition and I assume the author is getting credit for another copy sold. There are many titles I still want to get my hands on but I think they're going to be available as remainders soon. I would like to know if there anyone knows a reliable way of tracking when a book will become a remainder.

Recently there was a hardcover book in regular stock at a major book chain called Mighty Fitz. An account of the ship that sunk in Lake Superior many years ago. The one Gordon Lightfoot sings about. Recently the book was returned and the trade paperback edition is going to be available in October(06). The hardcover isn't carried in stores as regular stock anymore but it can be ordered. I wait until I see that the hardcover is no longer available to order. Then I know that the book has gone back to the publisher to be put into remainder lots for auction. I then keep an eye on the remainder section for that title. This is the most reliable method I have for remainder tracking. Obviously neither the retailers or publishers are interested in making it easy to find out when the book you want will be available at a highly reduced rate. I was hoping someone here may know a way of tracking or finding out when a book is to become a remainder.

Thanks for the info. I've been buying books at discount for years and I never knew they were called remainders. Overstock.com and Amazon.com have some of these cheap books. I always wondered why the price on some were lesser than others when they looks exactly alike.:D
Also, I belong to book clubs off and on, and they give you books almost free. I guess they get these books for a very cheap price because the very latest are not included in these 6-8 books for $.99.:)
I searched on "remainder books" and got a whole lot of sites. Your book was there too for $9.95 paperback and $14.95 hardback. I didn't look on e-bay or anyothers. Good luck in finding it.

You have to be careful buying through bookclubs and with some other online retailers. You could end up with non-traditional printings. A bookclub printing for example is of slightly lesser quality. The paper is lower stock and the binding is not as good. Also, like the Mighty Fitz example these can be available before the regular printing. This book is not available in North America in paperback, the 'normal printing' anyway, until October 31st.

You have to be careful buying through bookclubs and with some other online retailers. You could end up with non-traditional printings. A bookclub printing for example is of slightly lesser quality. The paper is lower stock and the binding is not as good. Also, like the Mighty Fitz example these can be available before the regular printing. This book is not available in North America in paperback, the 'normal printing' anyway, until October 31st.

A case in point was the old Doubleday Bargain Bookclub..back in the 70's when my mom joined up, the books were really cheaply bound and the paper edged ragged and gnarly looking. Still, I can almost remember every single one of those first 6 books she ordered..

I ended up with a couple bookclub edition when buying from ebay. I was told they were 'new' books. I guess technically they were new. While the content is the very same the quality really is subpar. :(

Thanks for the warning. I bought Pnin and was very pleased with it. It had a really nice binding and great paper and even a little gold ribbon to keep my place.
I read mostly just to read and the binding or the paper doesn't bother me. I give the books away anyway. I like to get the latest because I quit keeping a list of what I've read. What makes me mad is to buy one that I've already read. Thus...the latest.:D

Ions, I'm like you. I seldom buy hardcovers at full price and look for remainders on discount (usually at Chapters). I haven't figured out a sure way to reliably predict when remainders will be released, either.

Usually, if I've got my eye on a particular book, I keep a lookout for when the book is about to be released in trade paper. It seems the remainders show up around the same time. So, say, if I go online and look up a title and it says there's a trade paper version, but not yet available, there's a decent chance the hardcovers will show up on the discount tables. This worked for me when buying Oryx and Crake, and Vernon God Little. Not a foolproof method, but it's the only one I've figured out.

:eek:

On another note, while on vacation in the US, I found some good deals buying THEIR hardcovers when at 30% off. The US cover retail price is so much cheaper than in Canada and coupled with our relatively strong dollar, it was worthwhile.

We have been told that there will soon be better parity between the now weak US dollar and the, so far, strong Canadian dollar. So, like many other prices, book prices are to drop here. Yes that means less of a deal stateside but a better deal at home. I currently work at a Chapters and get a semi-decent discount of 30%. Remainders are a good deal with this discount.

Back