• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

remember your first chapter book?

I had to call my mom to find out my first, which she said was Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary (just like mehastings).

The chapter books of my childhood that stick out the most (other than the generic Sweet Valley Twins and Babysitter's Club series) are the The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks (I LOVED! this book/series) and The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.

My first chapter books I read were from a books club that sent a classic a month probably when I was 5-6. I cannot remember the first one but I remember they included Dr. Jerkyl and Mr. Hyde, The Count of Monte Cristo, Ben Hur, an abridged version of Oliver Twist, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, A Tale of Two cities, Moby Dick...that's all I can recall now, but I seem to remember there were 12 in all in the set.

i think mine was Heidi... and The Secret... my favourite was Heidi though, all three of them i read over and over... i've since lost my original copies... i must invest in some more methinks!

This thread is bringing back very fond memories of all the books I used to read. I can't remember what the very first chapter book that i read was exactly, but I think it may have been the famous five series from Enid Blyton. I loved her! After thet I moved on to reading all the one's from the Ramona series. And I also remember reading a very good book called ' Crummy Mummy and Me' but I can't think who it was by.

Now that my memory has been jogged, I'll have to find to these books for my daughter to read! :cool:

A Cricket in Times Square by George Selden. It's the only book I still remember enjoying reading. I also read some enid blyton and hardy boys but never really got into those.

This is an easy one. I remember being read Enid Blyton gallor as a kid. I still have a vivid memory of sitting on my living room floor and pawing through the first three pages of 'The Magic Faraway Tree' and feeling so chuffed that I was reading it myself. I must have been about 4 or so, so it was pretty slow going. I think I read the first 3 pages over and over because every time I'd sit down to read it I had to start at the beginning again and after 3 pages I'd get restless and find something else to do.

i babysit 2 nine year olds who are not into reading at all and so i have been taking them to the library to try and hook them in. i keep finding books that i had read and then get caught up in the memories. last week i found gordan kormans bruno and boots series, hilarious!!! loved those 2 whacky kids from macdonald hall.

Pippi Longstocking & Ramona the Pest(I think thats the title). Then I read a lot of Nancy Drew which led later to Agatha Christie. :)

I'm sure it wasn't my first time reading a chapter book, but my first memory of a chapter book was reading Walter Farley's The Black Stallion (long before they made it into a movie). I remember one moment vividly: sitting in our electric-blue lounge chair, in the corner of the livingroom, reading the big race scene at the end of the book. The suspense had me so wound up that I was kicking my feet and squealing, racing to get to the end of the scene to see whether Alec and The Black won the race. It was the first time a book had drawn me into its world and created such emotion. I never forgot. It was also my first series of books--read nearly all of them. The other favorite series was the Betsy-Tacy books by Maude Harte Lovelace.

It had to be the Laura Ingles Wilder set at age six/seven. That same year I read all the Beverly Cleary, all the Nancy Drew, a bunch of Apple paperbacks geared toward that age group; ( Boys are Yucko springs to mind,) Judy Blume and a lot of animal books. My first 'grown up' chapter novel was Agatha Christie's ''Sleeping Murder'' at nine.

::thinks:: I believe that my first chapter books were all members of two series. I don't remember which series came first, but my mother and I used to take turns reading them to each other every night. One was The Adventure Books by Enid Blyton, each one titled something like The Island of Adventure or The Valley of Adventure. The other series was The Chronicles of Narnia. Oh, and the first book I read entirely on my own was Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass. I consider the two to be one book, really.

I don't really remember off hand, but most likely it was the Babysitter Club books, or Nancy Drew, or the book Wait Until Helen Comes.

'Robinson Crusoe' by Daniel Defoe.

Hard to forget. Last year I edited the entire unabridged manuscript into a more smooth-flowing version. It was well-received.

I just couldn't help myself...:)

I think it was at the end of grade one or the beginning of grade two when I started to read "chapter books" (I don't like the name and classify them as easy novels) and the first ones that I read were from the Ramona series by Beverely Clearly. The first book that I remember buying was Ramona the Pest; I was in grade two at the time.

For me it was Jules Verne. Books such as Around the World in Eighty Days, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea captivated me in my youth.

onion_news2982.article.jpg

Back