• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Rhythm and Blues / Soul

Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee...
Yes, the name sounds familar, but I can't quite pinpoint a song of theirs in my head. I think I've got a album on the computer from those guys...

Are you a fan of those Muggle?

Depends on your definition of it. To me, it seems "rhythm and blues" has come to mean "MTV pop performed by black artists". There's some rhythm occasionally, but definitely no blues. That doesn't necessarily make it bad music, it's just not what I mean by rhythm&blues.

Muggle: yep, those were the days.

beer good said:
Depends on your definition of it. To me, it seems "rhythm and blues" has come to mean "MTV pop performed by black artists". There's some rhythm occasionally, but definitely no blues. That doesn't necessarily make it bad music, it's just not what I mean by rhythm&blues.

Muggle: yep, those were the days.

I totally agree. In my opinion, I don't class music from Will Smith, Missy Elliot, Nelly, etc etc etc in the genre of 'Rhythm and Blues'. There is too much stamping of black pop music and top40 music as 'Soul and R&B'.

In this thread I do refer to music like the old style stuff, Temptations, Otis Redding, Percy Sledge, Ray Charles Aretha Franklin etc etc etc. Even some tracks from more modern day artists like Boyz II Men, Toni Braxton, Babyface etc etc.
(Love songs, happy & sad)

Choc said:
I don't class music from Will Smith, Missy Elliot, Nelly, etc etc etc in the genre of 'Rhythm and Blues'.
I go one further. I don't class the output from Will Smith, Missy Elliot, Nelly, etc. in the genre of 'Music'.

Stewart said:
I go one further. I don't class the output from Will Smith, Missy Elliot, Nelly, etc. in the genre of 'Music'.

hehe...Well, your opinion is your right.

Although, I would admit I'm not their biggest fan either

I love Etta James,the temptations, Ray Charles, Sam cook,maxwell,I think some ,Escape, maybe some Lauryn Hill but I guess that's more hip hop.And Miles Davis, I'm a big Miles Davis fan. Do those artists count as rythem and blues, I don't know, all these Genre's and sub genre's confuse me.
I'll stick some 90's Toni Braxton, Anita Baker,Roberta Flack, Jonh B, Babyface and Mary J Blige in there.

Now we're talking:D I'm just sorry that by the time 'discovered' John Lee Hooker and Nina Simone I didn't have the money to go see them both.

Back