• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Richard Brautigan

kskyhappy

How on earth could Brautigan have been missed. Often credited as one of the most influential writers of the beat generation, he faded into relative obscurity.

so how could he have been missed, all too easily i'm afraid, a lot of his books are hard to come by in the uk, Vintage published "trout fishing in america" but the rest we had to import in from the states.

Anybody who loves absurdism should read "trout fishing in america"

In watermelon sugar is my favourite, just love the tigers who help with homework

Confederate general from the big sur, another great title.

readers should look for the omnibus editions which are great value. Some of his titles are a little depressing but show great tenderness for subject. You ache for whatever it is that he is aching for. Unfortunately Richard committed suicide in the '80's an unrecoverable loss to the literary world.

Ksky

I read somewhere that he is quite comparable to Tom Robbins. Do you know him, and if so, are they comparable?

Cheers, Martin :D

great

you've just reminded me of someone else i was meant to read!

i recall such comparisons, although all i can do is pass on an old colleaugues opinion which was that Robbins wasn't quite as good, though he was a fan of Joyce and therefore not to be trusted :p.

ksky

retracts statement carefully

he he sorry martin, as i said i've never read Robbins. He was in my section and sold well though. i should get one though. might fill a basket this weekend!

ksky

Get Jitterbug Perfume!

And Fierce Invalids Home For Hot Climates!

And Skinny Legs And All!

And . . .

I liked Robbins' Another Roadside Attraction myself. Funny, I've read both Brautigan and Robbins but never thought to compare them until now. Hmm...

Not sure I could say I like one better than the other. Wonder what kind of stuff Brautigan would be writing these days.

Yes! Another Roadside Attraction! Very funny! Which Brautigan novel would you recommend for me to start with?

Which Brautigan novel would you recommend for me to start with?

Martin, my personal choice would be In Watermelon Sugar. I also liked his short story collection, Revenge of the Lawn.

Stick with me, Martin. I won't steer ya wrong! :D

Brautigan got missed due to his jamming a model 29 smith and wesson into his palate and pulling the trigger down in Bolinas quite some time ago , a brilliant poet and writer but a hugely troubled man.

His influence is still felt though , without Brautigan there would have been no influence upon Philip K. Dick to write " Do Androids Dream of Cybernetic Sheep" and hence the pivotal s.f. classic " BladeRunner" would never have been filmed.

And as regards Robbins , it's nice to see that some here have perused his work beyond "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues" and " Another Roadside Attraction".

At any rate Brautigan was from that segment of American poets and writers that was post-beat generation and in a way lost because of it.

In the old days a few years prior to his suicide one could occasionally run into him at the City Lights bookstore or at Enricos , it's a shame he's gone.

B.

Well,i tried Trout Fishing in America last month and gave up near the end.I may have been a bit to sober to get it and LSD would have helped me slip into the right state of mind.Still i would love to see the face of a trout fisher buying the book for expert advice.It felt a bit like experimental writing and the repetition of Trout Fishing in America every two sentences was fun in the begining but got ennoying after a while.
I eard it is not his best though.

Back