• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Richard Laymon

Bookie

any richard laymon fans here? i personally think that he is over-praised after i read one of his books--Blood Games ,the story is naive...

any comment??

Bookie said:
any richard laymon fans here? i personally think that he is over-praised after i read one of his books--Blood Games ,the story is naive...

Bookie, we have a search function here and if you used that to search for Richard Laymon you would have found the thread(s) discussing his work. It's always better to search for threads first and contribute to them rather than have two threads running concurrently that discuss the same subject.

Blood Games, however, was a piece of shit. For those who don't know, four women stay in some lodge in the woods and, nearby, there's an angry hermaphrodite* (cock and tits, people!) wanting to kill them. The usual sort of non-provication just to kill and be visceral by the late Laymon. His only work, I think, of note - and even then! - is Savage.

* The portayal of the hermaphrodite in this book would make you think Laymon had found some halk-assed definition in a dictionary and decided a half-man, half-woman bad guy/girl would be unique. As such he has missed out on much of the subtely of the condition which was explored, for example, in Jeffrey Eugenidies' Middlesex. Of course, in Laymon's world, it's all about killing the women and letting their blood drip across the page with little-to-no emotional resonance.

Back