• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Richard Matheson: I Am Legend

I read IAL in college while I was taking a Vampire Literature course. It wasn't required, I just heard about it and impulsively bought it at a bookstore. Very interesting; you can see why it's a landmark. Definitely unlike any other vampire fiction I'd read up to that point. You can see it's influence on Romero's original Night of the Living Dead. Reading this thread got me interested in re-reading it.

In addition, the edition I bought included a number of Matheson's short stories. I read the first one which was the influence for (or, if you prefer, ripped off in) a scene in Stephen King's The Dead Zone.

Wow! I am SOOO glad I read that, because I was planning on reading the book soon. I had to order it from another library; now I am looking forward to it even more than before. If the author is still alive (unlikely, given the date of publication being 1952, I believe), someone needs to send him flowers because the book just sounds so brilliant.

I'm actually reading this, and I'm having trouble getting into it. The main problem is how confused I am. In one part, it implies Kathy and Virginia are dead and he's worried about vampires doing things to their graves, then in a scene from two months later, they're both alive but sick...I'm so confused; it doesn't even talk about what they do when he goes out to kill vampires. It's not that it's poorly-written, I'm just confused. Help please?

Valkyrie,

It's been a while since i've read this, but if i remember correctly then the scene with wife and daughter being alive and ill was just him remembering/flashback. He tried to keep his wife with him for a while but she was too infected.

He was worried about the graves because he had put his wife in the crypt without driving a stake through her heart. And i'm pretty sure he didn't know where his daughter's body was - it was in one of those pits i think.

But i'm sure things will become clearer as you read on.

OH. That would explain a lot. It was confusing because it said in that chapter it was two months later, but it was the first scene in the chapter. Thanks for clearing that up.

I thought it was an excellent vampire book. It didn't have a dated feel to it either. I think it is a classic that will stand the test of time.

Cross-posted from the "November reads 2006" thread since I figured this belongs here and because it pisses me off (though I should stop being surprised at Hollywood's never-ending crusade to ruin books):

There's been plans for a third movie version for years (the first two being the Price movie and Charlton Heston's "Omega Man"), and it seems there's finally one on the way, due for release in late 2007. The bad news is it stars... *shudder*... Will Smith. That should give you an idea of what kind of movie it will be.

Actually this was made into a movie years ago. In 1964 starring Vincent Price called The Last Man on Earth. Its actually quite good. Its ripe for a remake. I'd love to see it re-done!

Actually this was made into a movie years ago. In 1964 starring Vincent Price called The Last Man on Earth. Its actually quite good. Its ripe for a remake. I'd love to see it re-done!
I would too, but not if it's going to star the Fresh Prince, be scripted by the man responsible for "Lost In Space", "The da Vinci Code" and "Batman and Robin", and directed by a music video director whose sole movie credit is the godawful "Constantine". It's like hiring Blink-182 to do a cover of Beethoven's Fifth.

I would too, but not if it's going to star the Fresh Prince, be scripted by the man responsible for "Lost In Space", "The da Vinci Code" and "Batman and Robin", and directed by a music video director whose sole movie credit is the godawful "Constantine". It's like hiring Blink-182 to do a cover of Beethoven's Fifth.

Funny! Very funny!! Couldn't agree more with you!! Who would you cast??? I was thinking of Robert Carlyle in the lead. A non-lead type of guy - he could be an anyone - everyman - he could be....The Last Man on Earth!!!

Funny! Very funny!! Couldn't agree more with you!! Who would you cast??? I was thinking of Robert Carlyle in the lead. A non-lead type of guy - he could be an anyone - everyman - he could be....The Last Man on Earth!!!

Exactly, it really should be someone who can play just an ordinary joe. I have no issue with making him another race or anything (though their idea of filming it in NYC is preposterous - it takes place in an LA suburb, that's half the point!), but he needs to be... non-action-hero-y. 10-15 years ago I would have said Harvey Keitel. Let's see... Edward Norton can play anything, Forrest Whitaker too, and they can both bring the darkness when they need to. Which they would, if I were writing the script and got to pick the actor... :cool: Haven't really given it much thought though, since obviously it won't matter...

I have to agree also. When I saw Will Smith was cast in the new version, I cringed. I like Smith, but if he's in it you know that means they're going to turn it into a "hip" film. I refused to see the movie of I, Robot.

However, I'm not sure this new version could be any worse then the first two. The Last Man on Earth was duller than watching paint dry, and The Omega Man was just kinda weird. Watchable, but weird.

I found it very intriguing and feel that it wouled make a great movie. Hopefully, they'll make one soon, but I don't think Will Smith would be a good lead. Why? I dunno...I just don't.

Wait - I just checked and Will Smith HAS been cast in the new movie version. I really did not know if that was true or not. I am glad they are remaking it but Will Smith(???). He's an awful actor (in my humble opinion). The role requires someone with much more depth and much more everyman appeal. Hell. It could have even been a woman this time around. But Will Smith?? Yikes. What a disappointment!

Wait - I just checked and Will Smith HAS been cast in the new movie version. I really did not know if that was true or not. I am glad they are remaking it but Will Smith(???). He's an awful actor (in my humble opinion). The role requires someone with much more depth and much more everyman appeal. Hell. It could have even been a woman this time around. But Will Smith?? Yikes. What a disappointment!

Or you could have just clicked the link I posted a week ago, so you didn't have to spend a week going around thinking I don't know what I'm talking about... :cool:

Or you could have just clicked the link I posted a week ago, so you didn't have to spend a week going around thinking I don't know what I'm talking about... :cool:

Whoa - Snideness is really not necessary. I misunderstood. I had no idea the movie was being made. I thought we were simply discussing the possibility of the movie being made. It was certainly not meant as a personal insult to you. I'm busy...I must have not noticed your link.

Whoa - Snideness is really not necessary. I misunderstood. I had no idea the movie was being made. I thought we were simply discussing the possibility of the movie being made. It was certainly not meant as a personal insult to you. I'm busy...I must have not noticed your link.

No snideness intended, hence the smiley. I just thought I was making myself pretty clear when I said "there's finally one on the way, due for release in late 2007. The bad news is it stars... *shudder*... Will Smith." But no big, misunderstandings happen.

No snideness intended, hence the smiley. I just thought I was making myself pretty clear when I said "there's finally one on the way, due for release in late 2007. The bad news is it stars... *shudder*... Will Smith." But no big, misunderstandings happen.

Oh. Okay. Never mind!!;) ;) I feel dumb!!! Yes, Will Smith is not particularly talented. Its kind of tragic they are taking such an interesting story line and making it duller than dull with Will in the lead. The movie needs someone as fascinating as the content! Yes, to Forrest Whitaker. He is remarkable. Or how about Andre Braugher?? Quite possibly the best living, under-rated actor on the planet!!

I've just now finished this, and thought it was fantastic. I agree with Martin's review - the indepth look at some of the oldest vampire theories was really interesting, particularly
Robert's conclusion that not all the vampires were bacterially produced
. Gave it a bit more realism, I felt.

I also loved the ending, especially the last couple of lines, where it finally clicked home that
Robert was the outcast, the hunter of the 'normal', the legend

The scenes with Ruth reminded me of Z for Zacariah, the only other post-apocalyptic novel I have read. I will have to pick up some more.

As for the movie....hey, I like Will Smith. We may just have to lump it and take this movie not as a decent representation of the novel but as another 'inspired by the novel' dealie. I won't hold my breath for greatness, but I'm not going to judge it before I see anything.

Back