• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Richard North Patterson

David181173

Jacket notes often compare RNP with Scott Turow and John Grisham, neither of whom I have read. I generally don't go in for the American blockbuster novel. However, I recently heard RNP being interviewed on the radio, and decided his books might be worth a try.

So far I have read his first, the Lasko Tangent, about a young lawyer, Chris Paget, exposing corruption at the highest levels in government. Written in the late 70s the influence of the Watergate scandal is still strong. Next I read Degree of Guilt. A novel written fifteen years later in which Paget reappears, now in his mid 40s. Both were strong on page turning interest and made for entertaining reading on the daily commute. Not that I can imagine ever reading either of them again, perhaps on account of my increasing dislike of some of the characters. The principal female character in both books is cold, calculating and utterly unappealing. This is OK for a single read, since the plot carries you along, but doesn't encourage re-reading.

I've just started Eyes of a Child, the third book in the Paget trilogy. I've just encountered the first attack on the anti gun control lobby, which I gather has become a recurring theme in RNP's work. As a non-American more sympathetic with the gun control side of the argument I really liked the first speech Paget makes on the subject quite early in the book.

I understand that RNP's engagement with this, and other highly divisive issues in contemporary America, have made him something of a controversial author in the US. In my opinion, his willingness to do this is no bad thing. If you disagree, you don't have to read it. The best popular fiction - Dickens being a prime example in my own country - has never been afraid to debate serious issues. I'm still at an early stage in reading his work, but it could be that when he first started to develop his books in this way in the mid 90s RNP became not only a gripping writer, but one for something useful to say.

I've just finished Richard North Patterson's "Protect and Defend", which focuses on the bitter political divide in the US over abortion. The central characters are a fictional Democrat President, Kerry Kilcannon, his choice for Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Caroline Masters, moderate Republican Senator and national hero Chad Palmer, and a fifteenth year old girl seeking court approval for a later termination against her own parents who challenge her on behalf of their unborn grandson who is almost certainly without a brain.

Patterson is clearly on the pro-choice side of the argument, but whilst some of those on the opposing side are, to put it mildly, painted in very unsympathetic terms, he has clearly done his research and does present strong arguments on both sides.

The corrosion of politics by well-funded interest groups and by exposure of the private lives of public figures is the second key theme running through this thought provoking and gripping read.

This is not an easy read in so far as it makes you weigh up difficult moral arguments, but it is easy to get involved with. Its good to see a popular writer brave enough to tackle serious and highly contentious issues head on.

The name dropping in the acknowledgements section is incredible - both President George Bush and Bill Clinton are thanked for their advice and support!

This is, I believe, the second in a Kilcannon trilogy. The first of which follows his challenge for the White House - very topical. The third is out in hardback in the UK.

I picked up RNP's No Safe Place at a used book sale held by a local library. I have yet to read it, but I really enjoy political thrillers. I will dig into this one tonight, I need an enjoyable read after a long day.

Thanks, SFG, for bumping up these good reviews.
Now I have a reason to give Patterson a try, especially as he seems to present balanced arguments for the controversial situations.

I've started No Safe Place and have to say that the first part has been very interesting. RNP provides a great narrative regarding old style Boston politics with corruption, bribery, kickbacks, and the expected quid pro quo situation that is the stuff of movies. Kerry Kilcannon is running for president and is pro-choice, while a pro-life killer(a contradiction in terms right?) is on the loose after capping a doctor and a few others workers. The story is not like your usual one. RNP weaves the present day story with some chapters that cover the background experiences of Kerry Kilcannon. It gives it quite a different pace, I've been pleasantly surprised in that regard. I'm about half way through the book, though I don't anticipate geting too much farther tonight.

I used to confuse him with James Patterson, two very different writers. I like them both and have read a lot of their novels.

Richard North Patterson is an excellent writer and I have liked everything I've read by him.

Back