• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Roald Dahl - Good books?

Kavitha

Has anyone read books by Roald Dahl? I have watched the movie 'Matilda' based on his book with the same name and absolutely loved it. But I need to know nonetheless.

And please do let me know the names of the books which you think are good.

Thanks!

You didn't post how old you are in your profile. All of RD's books are excellent for children. As an adult you may find them a bit lacking.

I was rather fond of Matilda, Danny the Champion of the World, and the BFG--especially the latter. I haven't read it in years but I still remember all of the main points.

The Witches is quite a freak-out for an under-ten, but I agree with mehastings - I have revisited a few of his stories lately and found them a tad less magical.

I haven't read any of his works for adults, Stewart. Any good?

Are they good? ARE THEY GOOD? WTFFF!!!

They're more than good--it's a f***ing masterpiece!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He only one wrote one adult novel, and no writer in the past or the future can rival this book--because, this book--this scintillating masterpiece grabs you from the very opening paragraph and does not let go until your f******** doneE!!!!!!!!!!!

Hilarious, wonderful, shocking, twisted--lesbian sex, anal sodomy, homosexuality, beastiality, carrots and broccili, you f********* name it!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The Witches is quite a freak-out for an under-ten, but I agree with mehastings - I have revisited a few of his stories lately and found them a tad less magical

I was rather fond of Matilda, Danny the Champion of the World, and the BFG

You didn't post how old you are in your profile. All of RD's books are excellent for children. As an adult you may find them a bit lacking.

Doesnt matter how old I am, what matters is I like to read children's books :)
Thanks for all the Inputs though!

Doesnt matter how old I am, what matters is I like to read children's books :)
Thanks for all the Inputs though!

I do understand that, and there are a lot of folks here who feel the same. I've read many, many kids books as an adult, both for classes and for fun. Many children's books are enjoyable by adults. Look at Harry Potter. I think it is as widely read by adults as by children. I do find, however, that RD's books just don't cut it for me as an adult. I find that the stories just don't have enough depth and detail for me. The plots are no doubt entertaining, but after reading a couple of his books in the past year or two that I just couldn't bring myself to read a third. I found that it ruined the memories I had of them as a child.

Back