• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Robert B. Parker

Madeline

I've read his books before, and the Sunny Randall series, and they were okay, but "Blue Screen" is the worst book I've read in a long time. I kept thinking it would get better, but it didn't. It had the feel of a junior high student writing it except for the content and language. He has so many two-word sentences, and most of the writing doesn't even cover a line, much less a page. I was 1/3 through the book and gave up. I've only done this with one other book, and it makes me feel sad that I've wasted time trying to read this book. I don't think I will purchase any more of his books.:(

I read Melancholy Baby a few months ago and was hooked right away. I just finished Double Deuce, where Spenser and Hawk take over a ghetto apartment complex and solve several murders. Hawk is one bad dude.:cool: I'll grant you that the writing is very simplistic, not a lot of multi-syllable words and the actions is pretty fast. It isn't unusual for me to finish one of his books in one sitting if I have the time and no distractions around at the time. I do enjoy crime and murder thrillers, so that's just fine by me.

His Hundred Dollar Baby release isn't generating a lot of good press. I started a thread on that and will be reading it after I'm done with my next amazon shipment of goodies.

I've only read some of the early Parker books (Double Deuce & The Godwulf Manuscript, to be exact), and am sorry to hear, first hand, that his writing has deteriorated. I liked the books that I read. I thought that there were certain stylistic similarities to Rex Stout (my favorite). But, I had heard elsewhere that the Spenser series had gotten worse and worse.

I loved Double Deuce, a good page turner that one was. I just purchased Sea Change. I'm about half way through it. This is the first Jess Stone series book that I've picked up.

He gets by on his ability as a story teller not on writing skills. If you want a decent mystery you can read in a sitting he's pretty good. I would recommend Robert Crais instead though. Just as good of a storyteller and a step up as a writer doing the same type of cookie cutter mysteries. Good looking pi with an incredibly tough silent type friend/partner out to save the world.

I've read almost every Robert B. Parker book ever written (except the Philip Marlow ones) and I'll agree some of his stuff has started to decline a bit.
I'm mostly talking about the Sunny Randall series of books. She just seems to have no personality what-so-ever and it seems to carry over into the writing.
The early Spenser novels are his best by far, but did suffer a decline in the 90's. They are back on the rise no though as some of the recent ones rank up there with his best.
The books in the Jesse Stone series are all great reads however and I've never found a dull one. One of the early ones had a brief appearance by Spenser and Hawk. Also the new Sunny Randall Novel includes Jesse Stone and although I've not read it yet I think that this fact may be her saving grace.
So all-in-all I'd recommend anything that Robert B. Parker has written for three major reasons:
1. They are a great way to pass a slow day and most can be read in one sitting.
2. He has several truly enjoyable characters that a reader can start to care about.
3. Even though his writing is described as "simplistic", I enjoy the fact that I can sink myself into one of his novels and not have to have a doctorate to understand him.
So if you want a quick, fun and easy to read book about real people and real places then read Robert B. Parker.

I've just read Night Passage because folks are talking about the Jesse Stone movies and Tom Selleck as Jesse Stone. :)

I think I'll try to complete the series but I wasn't jet hot impressed with the book. I guess I agree with what has been posted so far. Jesse Stone just didn't appeal like Arkady Renko, for instance, in Gorky Park. I've never been much of a mystery fan but now I'm hooked. ;) Read some Paul Sussman and Lisa See and their detectives are folks you really want to read more about.

Some suggestions of other authors to try would be jolly fun,
MattieRae

Yes, absolutely Robert Crais! Very enjoyable and better than Spenser. I never could stand all those descriptions of Spensers girlfriends clothing:p Who really cares?

I've read his books before, and the Sunny Randall series, and they were okay, but "Blue Screen" is the worst book I've read in a long time. I kept thinking it would get better, but it didn't. It had the feel of a junior high student writing it except for the content and language. He has so many two-word sentences, and most of the writing doesn't even cover a line, much less a page. I was 1/3 through the book and gave up. I've only done this with one other book, and it makes me feel sad that I've wasted time trying to read this book. I don't think I will purchase any more of his books.:(

MADELINE
Right On!!! I read one of his books at least 20yrs ago and at that time I thougth he was a hack. A persistant and well selling hack since he has published so many books. But they are not well written, simplistic, banal, fit a prescribed script, and rather boring. I shall never read him again.

But let me continue ... I was at an author's luncheon and seminar where he was on the panel. The subject was 'writing mystery stories' and he was the last speaker. His demeanor was so casual I felt as though he was going to pull a pint out of his pocket and take a slug. I will never forget what he said about writing his books: [of course i am paraphrasing]
1) they are so easy to write i don't have to put any thought into them
2) i write them very quickly and just send them off
3) i rarely edit
4)i am glad that my books have me rich and
5) i have an audience which doesn't demand much

He was smirking throughout this insulting and belittling one way 'discussion' and obviously he disdains his audience.

But as long as people buy his books he's happy as a clam ... but don't expect them to get better at any time.

I'm reading one of his books now it's titled "School Days" so far i've read about 10 pages and i'm already lost. I have no idea who the narrator is or who Susan is or anything. boo this is dissapointting

Robert Crais is great.

Yes, absolutely Robert Crais! Very enjoyable and better than Spenser. I never could stand all those descriptions of Spensers girlfriends clothing:p Who really cares?

Thanks for the recommend, lionsroar13. Read The Monkey's Raincoat and loved it. Joe Pike was my fav character. Maybe I'll see you at the Robert Crais thread.

MattieRae

Just bought Double Play for my dad. He loves crime/P.I. stories, so this one should be a great one for him to enjoy. Honestly, I thought about keeping it myself.:lol:I'll have to buy it next month or something.

Yes, he is formulaic, but there is just something about his writing, a great "page turner" book producer if there ever was one. Funny how those of a higher reputation aren't necessarily "page turner" quality........ironic isn't it?

I love his Spenser books...

I tried with the Sunny Randall series but didn't get into them.

The Jesse Stone books started off good but I lost interest...though I did like the Tom Selleck TV movies they've made.

As for his other stuff, like the cop novel crossing generations or the Westerns or the finishing of that Raymond Chandler novel...I either didn't read them or found them just okay.

Back